Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA 360, Fuller 6-speed
Rated Cap: 53
1991 Thomas conversion

Much more info at my website, http://hstrial-wwills.homestead.com/index.html but here are a few pictures. It's done finished, of course--what ever is? But we use it. It's already had a major remodling from Navy type pipe berths to permanent ones. My gallery at my website has more on that.

I build boats and a lot of the techniques are applicable. I did an article at a truck enthusiast site here http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga..._measuring.htm that anyone afraid of tackling the ceiling contour in a bus would find useful. Much simpler and more accurate than several other methods I've seen applied.

Most bus projects never get past tearing the seats out and dreaming. We do thousand mile trips and frequently use it for multi family outings--hiking, picnics and Trick-or-Treating.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Almost There

Re: 1991 Thomas conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Welcome Will from another stuck in this god-forsaken state Nice work on the bus!

Smitty
Indiana is a good state. Rather be in Florida at this exact moment though. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

I really like the upper cabinets, how thick are the doors? tks
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Almost There

The doors are 5mm Oakum or Luan--it's sometime called 1/4" but it's thinner than 1/4". They are framed with 3/4" pine strips.

Plans now are to get rid of the Sanipottie and install a Sealand Traveler. We had one in our Casita and the height, capacity and porcelin were all preferable to this little thing. I also want a roof rack. And we are moving a little closer to town and will be getting CNG heat so I will no longer be using a wood stove as I have for the past 12 years. I want to be able to plug the bus generator into the house so we can operate the electrical portion of the furnace with it for when the power goes out. It's been a big problem, having the power get knocked out by falling trees.

Long term, I would like to install air-ride suspension, insulate the ceiling and find an axle with 3.55s in it. I don't use first gear now. I would rather have to use first gear and have to switch between 5 and 6 occasionally. Right now I'm in 6th by 45mph and it will go 70mph--and I've driven all the way to South Carolina at that speed, but it's busy.

I love this motor. It's a pretty strong 185hp. I thought I would want a DT466, but those all redline at a lower rpm so I would actually be slower with one. But after I get new gearing, maybe a 210hp DT466...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Almost There

A few more pictures of recent additions. I made a rear hitch/under-ride guard out of 2x4x3/8" tubing. I notched the bottom flange of the frame and welded it in solidly all around. The receiver part was scrounged from a '99 Chevy pickup. I had to cut off the exhaust, weld a 45 to point it at the outside corner and clamp on a new tip. On the front bumper of the bus, I cut a hole and welded in a 6" long receiver socket so we use a bike carrier up there.

We went to Gettysburg last week and took US 30 from around Breezewood, PA to Gettysburg. Mapquest recommended that or I wouldn't have done it. 8.5% and 9% grades with sharp turns. We did fine, though I was at 35mph in 4th on those hills. The brakes were fine though an exhuast brake would be a nice addition. We returned on I68, which is 100+ miles of 5% and 6% ups and downs. Safer, but still slow, though we could hold 5th gear and 45-50mph. Much worse than the mountains heading south. We hired a licensed guide who rode with us and gave us a 3-hour tour of the battlefields. An excellent way to go and well worth it.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Almost There

I added a stepvan jumpseat so I could have company on those long drives. I can only add three pictures so I can't show everything but the seat is from a stepvan parts website. I welded it to 4" x 1/4" channels that bolt through the floor with plates backing the bolts under the bus. It is at a 10-degree recline and I added bar steel angling up to the level of the seatbelt bracket. I figure the force in a wreck would be focused at the belt attachment points. The shoulder harness is attached the same way Thomas attached the driver's one, except I used 8 steel rivets instead of 4.

It fits me too--I tried it. You can put your feet up on the heater and it's a pretty comfortable seat. Leaning back makes all the difference.

Attached Thumbnails
jump seat 1.JPG   jump seat 2.JPG   jump seat 3.JPG  
Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

looks great!

that jumpseat would have to be very securely fastened for me to ride on it! how did you mount the shoulder strap?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Almost There

Been a while since I've updated this thread. Lots of miles. We've got 3.73 gears now and can go fast, but need more horsepower now. That's coming. But we're also tired of the rear suspension beating us up. We've broken a fridge in the rear, the toilet get pummeled and leaks, the bike rack is bent, and we want to pull a small trailer, but I'm afraid it will be destroyed. Also, I'm sure a lot of the noise in the bus now that the engine is spinning a much lower rpm on the road comes from the axle vibration threw the leaf springs. After 3 years of wavering, I bought a Kelderman Air-Ride kit and I'm getting it tomorrow. I don't know exactly when I will install it--I think we have one more planned trip in the bus this year so it might be after that.

We've got a 4,500-mile 2-week trip planned next year--with 11 people on board, a pair of motorcycles, 11 bikes and a pop-up camper--somehow, all of it is coming along. I'm going to send the pump off to get built and install a bigger turbo--I want 300hp. I'm also going to install cruise control and an air-ride driver's seat. And finish lots of other little things I haven't gotten around to.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Exact same plan as me in the hp dept. I have a DT466, but also aiming for 300hp. I just emailed Scheid's Diesel for a quote to get the pump recalibrated to flow enough for 300 hp, and I plan to install an HX40 Holset with a custom downpipe. Probably going to need to modify my doghouse, but that's ok I just need to get home (Saturday) so I can email them back the numbers off the pump. Have you gotten a quote yet? Just curious, I know it won't be cheap. I hear ya on the air ride...my springs will likely have to make due for some time, though.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
Almost There

No quote yet. I'm guessing I will spend $3,000 on power, but won't flinch until it hits $5,000. Just guessing $1,000 on the pump and $2,000 on the turbo. Why do you need to modify the doghouse? It's a turbo, not a windmill.

Air ride was the most important because the springs really beat us up. The gear change gave a lot more speed. But a lot more pounding, too. The Kelderman kit is on a pallet in the driveway now.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Bus Geek

cool, good to hear she's still running and getting some cool upgrades
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
Skoolie

I love the chrome power exhaust tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will

100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #13

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

The air ride suspension will make a huge difference. My bus is 30 ft with a 13.5 ft wheel base. The back is perfect. I put a SS bowl down on the wheelchair lift and it stayed in the same place for 200 miles. Now I just need to figure out my front suspension. I get hat dolphin action going on if I hit a dip in the road. I've already changed shocks and tried to add a spring but they told me that I couldn't because mine were parabolic. I would need to buy a whole set of new springs. Fat chance, I figure out some thing.

I'm also interested n your power upgrades because I will be doing something with my DT466.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
No quote yet. I'm guessing I will spend $3,000 on power, but won't flinch until it hits $5,000. Just guessing $1,000 on the pump and $2,000 on the turbo. Why do you need to modify the doghouse? It's a turbo, not a windmill.

Air ride was the most important because the springs really beat us up. The gear change gave a lot more speed. But a lot more pounding, too. The Kelderman kit is on a pallet in the driveway now.
Please take pics of the install. would love to follow along.

Aprox cost on said kit?

Thanks Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
LOL...I should have explained better. My current down pipe is an "S" shape. It comes out from the snail and turns 180* so it is facing forward, it then snakes around my fuel filters and turns 180* again and then goes back. It is also crushed intentionally to clear the frame rail. If I upgrade the turbo, I will need to upsize the downpipe. If I upsize the downpipe, I will just modify my doghouse so I can come straight back and down with the downpipe, instead of the stupid crushed "S" pipe.

Brutus
Old 06-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
Almost There

Yeah, that is the worst downpipe in world. I've been looking at the military trucks that I drove way back when, and the exhaust came out just off to the right of the cab. Look at the deuce and a half, for instance. If you get rid of the first heater in the bus, maybe it could work. That turbine outlet pipe is retarded and I won't be having that. My goal is to have the exhaust exit through the right fender and way up in the air. I'll seal that bit of the bus so the exhaust can work.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Haha... Have it go up through the bus, where that heater is? Hadn't thought of that! I currently have a stack on the drivers side. I like it, just want to improve the downpipe. You are right... it is the WORST!

Brutus
Old 07-11-2020, 11:20 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Chassis: 30' International IC 3000
Engine: DT466e // Allison MD3060
Dang! Wish I could see the pictures. They are dead here and your website goes to a dead link.
marceloasherq is offline   Reply With Quote