Old 09-10-2016, 01:28 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Flat Nose - Front Engine
Engine: 5.9 liter Cummins, 6 cylinder
7.29.16 - Sub floor

On to the sub floor! First we laid down 6 mil poly as a vapor barrier between the metal floor and the sub floor. Then we cut 2x4's for bracing and support before fitting in the pieces of 1.5" foam board insulation. Lastly we put 1/2" plywood on top and secured it into the studs. We went with a floating floor so we didn't screw or nail the studs into the metal floor (leaving vapor barrier in tact). Still very happy with this decision!

Poly followed by insulation and studs:

1/2" plywood over top screwed into the studs:
bjornj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

8.1.16 - Painting the Roof

We bought the white paint and clear coat from Bus Kote, paint does it's job on reflecting heat and ended up using more than we thought. Pretty thick stuff so plan extra just in case .

First coat has begun

My wife Britney loving painting the roof

The first coat is progressing

Finished - front

Finished - back
Old 09-10-2016, 11:28 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Great start! Keep the pix coming.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #14
Almost There

What kind of highway speeds can the bus do?
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Unfortunately not very fast. My brother inlaw is a diesel mechanic and he adjusted it to have a little more power and wants to do new fuel injectors. With the original injectors we can maintain 55mph on a flat road. However, small hills slow us down to around 45mph and really steep/long hills down to 35mph at the worst. Then going downhill we get up to 65mph-70mph. I didn't buy a bus to be in a hurry but that certainly was disappointing...hoping to replace the injectors this fall. We'll see how much of a difference that makes.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornj View Post
Unfortunately not very fast. My brother inlaw is a diesel mechanic and he adjusted it to have a little more power and wants to do new fuel injectors. With the original injectors we can maintain 55mph on a flat road. However, small hills slow us down to around 45mph and really steep/long hills down to 35mph at the worst. Then going downhill we get up to 65mph-70mph. I didn't buy a bus to be in a hurry but that certainly was disappointing...hoping to replace the injectors this fall. We'll see how much of a difference that makes.

I purposely drive mine at 55... drive it any faster and your MPG go way down, you get blown more by wind so more tendency to get sway as you drive, more noise, etc..

traffic passes me on the highways at 55 but in over 5000 miles of driving this way now i have yet to be honked at or get the middle finger from anyone...

its really easy i get i nthe right lane and stay there.. rarely have to pass anyone so its a nice leisurely ride..

I had high hopes about going fast in the beginning.. in fact even bought larger tires when I got new ones.. my bus will max out at 68 MPH engine redlined.. but after driving different speeds and learnign the bus i settled on 55.. my fotts barely on the pedal and i get get over 11 MPG..

people see a school bus on the highway and expect it to go slow.. they see a converted school bus on the highway and expect it to go slower because they just assume its "old"..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I wasn't worried about breaking any school bus land speed records, my most basic goal would be able to maintain 55mph on most hills. If I am able to do a little better than that and drive 60-65 mph that would be fantastic. On the interstate with wider lanes I'm not uncomfortable at those speeds as the bus seems to handle well and I'm willing to sacrifice the mpg when I feel like going a bit faster.

Offending other people isn't on my list of worries either because I drive respectfully and do my duty of being a slow-vehicle driver and pull over if someone has been stuck behind me for a long time with no opportunity to pass (or if the line up behind me gets excessive).