Old 05-08-2016, 10:55 AM   #101
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im with you on the heater... thats why im leaving every single one of my Busses' 6 Heaters installed and operable!

-Christopher
THe problem with leaving those heaters in is that you have to have the bus idling for them to be on.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:59 AM   #102
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
THe problem with leaving those heaters in is that you have to have the bus idling for them to be on.
They barely get warm at idle, you gotta be truckin to get heat.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #103
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Or have a Webasto

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #104
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
am I in for a surprise from the way the heat operated in my Gasoline Bus?

it always stayed perfectly warm.. granted I never idled it for long periods of time.. but I do plan to be able in my new bus to stop at rest stops for a couple hours, etc and idle the engine for heat and air-conditioning.

if I need to I can always install a pro-heat or such.. but was thinking id have engine heat for a good while as long as I had been keeping the bus warm prior.. (which isnt a problem for me.. while driving in winter in any vehicle.. I always have the heater blasting)..

I assumed that never to idle from a cold start anyway as I read all kinds of nasty stuff about doing that..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #105
Skoolie

Yea gasoline and diesel engines have different idling characteristics. With a diesel, day you've been driving for a hour or more, the engine is at full operating temp. If you pull over and idle, even without the heaters going, you will begin to drop temp. Diesels are happiest under a load. It's technically not good to idle a diesel. Installing a "up idle" device will help. That's what I'm doing. But it still only helps to an extent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
jbohall001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #106
Bus Geek

I have an up idle knob.. At least it works like that.. There's the knob I pull to shut down the engine and then there's the knob that raises the amount of throttle even when my foot is off he pedal . It's a mechanical cable also like my shut off.. What do you idle at? Like 1000 rpm or so?

I do remember now that I think of it that my dads scout diesel used to not blow real hot air out of both heaters if the fans were on high at idle .. I always just thought it was because the water pump was slow.. The temp gauge in that ran about 1/3 all the time
Christopher
Old 05-08-2016, 12:41 PM   #107
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have an up idle knob.. At least it works like that.. There's the knob I pull to shut down the engine and then there's the knob that raises the amount of throttle even when my foot is off he pedal . It's a mechanical cable also like my shut off.. What do you idle at? Like 1000 rpm or so?

I do remember now that I think of it that my dads scout diesel used to not blow real hot air out of both heaters if the fans were on high at idle .. I always just thought it was because the water pump was slow.. The temp gauge in that ran about 1/3 all the time
Christopher
My idle is a little under 600. 550 maybe.

Diesels don't have much for heat at idle. Takes a good 30 mins to get mine up to temp. And thats DRIVING it.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #108
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Didn't someone tap into the coolant system with an inline heater to use the bus heaters recently? I was reading that somewhere. Sounds good except for using the 12 v system for a water pump and fans for the radiators. I still like the warm floor idea, but that would mean giving up my L-track.
Robin97396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #109
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Didn't someone tap into the coolant system with an inline heater to use the bus heaters recently? I was reading that somewhere. Sounds good except for using the 12 v system for a water pump and fans for the radiators. I still like the warm floor idea, but that would mean giving up my L-track.
thats what the proheat type system does.. its like a Mini Boiler.. you can also install an APU whuich is a small diesel engine that provides 12 volt, 110 volt, and some of them provide coolant heating.. they are PRICEY.. but do work good..

truckers use them for A/C and keeping their batteries charged.. or recharging..

Semi trucks are notorious for having dead batteries after just a few days idle.. the APU has its own Battery to start it then has a 12 volt alternator.. so you cvan effectively Jump a SEMI from the APU... and the APU can be jumped from a standard jumpbox should you kill its battery too..

-Christopher
Old 05-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #110
Bus Geek

Quote:
My idle is a little under 600. 550 maybe.

Diesels don't have much for heat at idle. Takes a good 30 mins to get mine up to temp. And thats DRIVING it.
I was meaning what should you idle at to keep an engine at operating temperature? I figured my idle lever would come in handy on those extremely Hot days when i want to spin the A/C compressor but never thought of needing it for heat..

im guessing while Idling it would be best to turn off the defroster heaters and use the Mid / Rear heaters which do not suck any outside air in and only recirculate the already somewhat warm cabin air..

-Christopher