Old 05-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
You know, that panel lifter looks a lot like a dandilion puller?
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #82
Skoolie

No Alaska trips, but I do want to travel north. Keep in mind that anything below 60 and I'm cold and the heater is coming on. I don't handle cold well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
jbohall001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #83
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I'd love to re-visit beautiful Alaska if I can time it somewhere between the frozen ground and black-fly seasons. It's REAL purdy up there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCoyote View Post
Looking good! Its officially a Skoolie now!

Hey: I think every bus owner goes through a cycle: first comes the adrenaline of the bidding war. Next comes the excitement of pick-up. Then the uncertainty of the drive-home. Then that moment when you go "oh sh*t what have I done!". Next up is the "rattle and hum" stage where you take-out the seats in a blind orgy to show yourself some progress. Then things tend to stop for a bit.

When you get to the pause point, get a sixer of beer and a lawn chair and a pad of paper. Sit. Drink. Get up occasionally to poke at something on the bus. Write down ideas that come to you. Do this sagely and with a calm deliberation. You are waiting for "help" to arrive.

No joke: buses are magnets. Somebody will show-up, swap stories, and soon you realize you are talking to a retired trucker/farmer/mechanic who had that very same engine in his dump/grain/fleet truck. Next thing you know he tells you what parts you need and where to get them at a discount. Then it turns-out his brother-in-law owns a wrecker service (first dibs on working used parts and discount towing to boot!). And he goes to church with a guy who works at a tire dealer....

You cant make this stuff up. Its EXACTLY what happened to me.

Lawnchairs and beer. Try it. And if nobody shows-up, you'll still be better for the period of quiet introspection and bonding with your new bus. ))
Damn I miss home/TEXAS. Around here in the military melting pot ( all branches within 100 miles) you are on your own? I swear I am the only one that stops to help someone on the side of the road or at least ask if they need help? My wife don't holler cause she's from texas but my new boss man says I gotta pay for that? And I say not if you don't want to? I'll eat it! You have to know someone that knows someone here and of course the old school farmers help each other but if your not in a social circle of some sort then you have to jump out in front of anyone to even get noticed?
I do have an old friend I keep wanting to go talk to that ran a dump trucks all his life and I would spend my days off digging his dirt pit for stockpile and he will help with my rear end gears. I know he has a few dump trucks pushed in the woods and if I do the work with his advice I am wondering if a two speed rear end would work? Sorry started rattling out of my head and in the wrong thread.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #85
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
There has been some discussion on two speed rear ends in the past. It doesn't make your 4 speed into an 8 speed. It just gives you a high and low range which is good if you're going to do towing or hauling.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #86
Bus Nut

I knew the whole 4-8 thing and I do plan on either a trailer or a dolly and have built and am building my under structure for a small river crossing if I ever do make it back home?
Because my salvaged holding tanks plumbed are lower than what I like I will probably make some drop down ramps/tread (for lack of better words) that are just under the storage in between the front and rear axle but close enough to the rear to drop down as soon it starts to spin and some cable attached to snatch them out as soon I am out/or stuck again? More hands on stuff but if your stuck your stuck and its either hands on or money and I don't have any money but I can scrap and build what I want and it only cost TIME? ain't got no A/C but when the weathers fine in the summer we run fans in every room of our house with the winders open anyway (that's how momma and I grew up in TX and that's all my 15@16 boys know) hard work and you have to teach yourself by doing it because money is not going to be handed to you.
And if someone is handing out money? Don't take because you didn't earn it!!!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #87
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Two speed rears are almost always geared low and REALLY LOW.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #88
Bus Nut

Even on the high end? I have seen the one I am eyeballing do 60-65mph with 17-tons on it..
Just asking cause this is above my pay grade?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #89
Skoolie

I'm so lost as to how this conversation started haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
jbohall001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #90
Bus Nut

Sorry man? It was me?
I have a problem?
Everytime I respond I spill everything in my head? Some dreams and ideas? And some experience that mite or mite not help?
I am a grown man. Just tell me it ain't helping and I will chill