Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
No gained knowledge is wasted. Well, except the stuff we forget.

Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I saw that batch of TCs on govdeals, thought they were really beaten up and worn out to the point where they weren't worth it.

However, you could still be able to salvage the bus. Depends on what's wrong with the engine, like most said here oil leaks are usually fairly easy to fix.

It just seems to me that some states are worst than others as far as used buses go. Louisiana is one of the poorer states so as a result their school buses usually stay in service longer.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #43
Skoolie

Started cleaning today. Didn't get a ton accomplished haha. I need a pressure washer. Plus I only had a couple of hours. But I'm feeling positive about tomorrow.
I'm
I added 10 whole quarts and the dip stick still says I'm 2 or 3 quarts low. But my oil pressure climbed back up thankfully. My temp gauge does some funky stuff, as can be seen in the video.

https://vimeo.com/164863794

https://vimeo.com/164863907

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
jbohall001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:12 AM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
WOW she's seen some HARD service! Maybe now she'll get the T.L.C. she needs........
Old 05-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The engine sounds good and there isn't oil sprayed all over under the engine compartment .. Did a lot end up on the ground when you were running it ?
Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:17 AM   #46
Bus Geek

A good camouflage job will hide the wows in the body.

That low oil kind of scares you when you think of driving that home at speed again. See what a tough engine you've got?

Those body wrinkles are just from some driver like me that taps immobile objects with the bus occasionally. I haven't hit anything for a couple weeks now.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #47
Skoolie

Surprisingly not much got on the ground at all, which I don't understand.....

I feel pretty good about that engine now haha. She still cranks and sounds good. Just gotta get her good and clean

Old 05-01-2016, 12:16 PM   #48
Bus Geek

I think you'll be ok as long as you don't keep driving without oil.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I think you'll be ok as long as you don't keep driving without oil.
[...rummages for pencil to write this down...]
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #50
Bus Geek

Water might be the next concern.

I was going to ask how much of that rear end damage happened while backing into the driveway, but that wouldn't be nice. So it's got a few wrinkles.
This one is a 19 year old bus when i got it, and at the end of another 19 years it will almost assuredly look considerably worse. It takes a little practice and during my learning curve some practice is quite visible.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #51
Skoolie

Water? In what way? Cause I'm about to get the pressure washer after this engine. Top and bottom. Should I not?

Old 05-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Like oil, some water belongs inside the engine. Wash that baby up. That's the nice part about a mechanical diesel. You're not going to get water in the distributor.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Actually we have the same engines, so I'll wait to see if you destroy anything while cleaning yours.

Mine does need cleaned up too, but I have to drive to a nearby small town and use the sprayer at the car wash there. So far it's been way to cold to put any water inside the bus. Some engines have dried on oil that doesn't clean up even with a sprayer. I don't know if it's right or wrong but I spray WD-40 on all the dirty parts and let that soak a few days before attempting to wash the engine again. it seems to loosen up stuck dirty oil. I like to work on a clean engine.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #54
Skoolie

So, thinking way ahead hear, but while I'm thinking about it....

Is there a general consensus on roof raising? Because that was my plan, but a friend of mine suggested I simply build a raised "channel" down the middle..... I feel like that would be as much if not more work though..... thoughts? I haven't seen anyone on here say anything of the sort before so...

Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #55
Bus Geek

Generally the thought is to try to maintain the structural integrity of the bus, even when doing roof raises. I've never heard of someone giving the bus a mow-hawk roof raise. It seems to me that raising only the center portion would significantly weaken the structure of the bus even if you framed it with steel.
Keep in mind the insurance problems you keep hearing about on this site. Owner modified buses are becoming a problem. That's generally considered to be caused by the ramshackle cabins that are sometimes built on buses. You know, the ones that you're afraid to drive behind on the freeway because something might fall off.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #56
Skoolie

Oooohhhh. Should I insure before doing the raise? I need to find out about Re titling it as well.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #57
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbohall001 View Post
Water? In what way? Cause I'm about to get the pressure washer after this engine. Top and bottom. Should I not?

Warm it up a bit, but not too hot, spray it with simple green and then use your regular hose. Works on the tractors at my grandparents farm.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #58
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docsgsxr View Post
Warm it up a bit, but not too hot, spray it with simple green and then use your regular hose. Works on the tractors at my grandparents farm.
Thanks Doc! I noticed your name...... are you pretty handy with the old oil cooled bikes? Cause I'm having issues with mine haha.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:44 PM   #59
Bus Crazy

Before you get all bummed out about your purchase I would clean it up and see if it is really leaking/burning oil.

IIRC, the sump on those engines take between 12 and 22 quarts (it all depends upon which pan it has and how large the oil cooler might be). If you were significantly low on oil your oil pressure would be down.

Also, if the bus has been sitting for a while it will take a while, probably in excess of 1000 miles, for everything to get reseated. Once things get reseated you will most probably notice a lot less smoke on start up and virtually no smoke once you get going.

If your engine is dribbling and drooling there are a couple of places the 5.9L/6BT is known for leaking. Those leaks are easily identified and can be fixed easily by anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of turning wrenches.

As far as the body work by careless is concerned, there are lots of ways in which to hide the damage. And since most of the body work is just flat steel replacing the worst is not that difficult.

I think you may have a real diamond in the rough.

Since your bus has overhead parcel racks I would bet your bus was used for trips. Most trip buses were spe'c'ed with bigger HP engines in order to go highway speeds. Bigger HP engines usually required the additional option of the heavier duty transmission. I would not be surprised, since you say you cruised easily at 65 MPH, that you have at least 210 HP, more likely 235 or 250 HP, and the MT600 series of transmission. The fact you have an air charge cooler suggests you have bigger HP as well. You can know for sure by looking at the data plate on the side of the transmission (it should be easy to spot on the driver's side of the case just above the pan).

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #60
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Before you get all bummed out about your purchase I would clean it up and see if it is really leaking/burning oil.

IIRC, the sump on those engines take between 12 and 22 quarts (it all depends upon which pan it has and how large the oil cooler might be). If you were significantly low on oil your oil pressure would be down.

Also, if the bus has been sitting for a while it will take a while, probably in excess of 1000 miles, for everything to get reseated. Once things get reseated you will most probably notice a lot less smoke on start up and virtually no smoke once you get going.

If your engine is dribbling and drooling there are a couple of places the 5.9L/6BT is known for leaking. Those leaks are easily identified and can be fixed easily by anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of turning wrenches.

As far as the body work by careless is concerned, there are lots of ways in which to hide the damage. And since most of the body work is just flat steel replacing the worst is not that difficult.

I think you may have a real diamond in the rough.

Since your bus has overhead parcel racks I would bet your bus was used for trips. Most trip buses were spe'c'ed with bigger HP engines in order to go highway speeds. Bigger HP engines usually required the additional option of the heavier duty transmission. I would not be surprised, since you say you cruised easily at 65 MPH, that you have at least 210 HP, more likely 235 or 250 HP, and the MT600 series of transmission. The fact you have an air charge cooler suggests you have bigger HP as well. You can know for sure by looking at the data plate on the side of the transmission (it should be easy to spot on the driver's side of the case just above the pan).

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
Awesome! I'll go look today after work!