Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: 1996 GMC BlueBird w/ 6.4 L .....bus to TELLURIDE 2012

Before I take a long trip I'm going to change all the fluids, do a full lube job, and check all hoses and belts for cracking at the very least. I will likely replace all fuel hoses since I'm converting to run on veggie oil/biodiesel. My exhaust has some rust areas as well (at the joins) so I will likely re-route it and eliminate or replace rusty sections.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by telluriders
What are some of the first things i should look at working on it to better prepare it for our trip to CO from NC??? Thanks!
The usual. Check belts and hoses, replace as needed. Have spares. Change lube oil and filters. Check tranny fluild level. Change/service air filter. Change fuel filters, have spares. Check tires and (if air brakes) check slack adjusters. Check power steering fluid. Have some tools, and some spare fluids. Check coolant level (in CO I'd assume you've checked your antifreeze.) Check battery levels and connections. Check all running lights. It would be nice to flush and change coolant.

Does your bus have a relatively recent inspection sticker, if so just go, but bring credit card.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.7 L 3116 CAT V6-Inline
Rated Cap: 60

Thanks for the input friendsss!! Gives us some starting ground!!!
telluriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:42 AM   #34
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84

![/quote]

Does your bus have a relatively recent inspection sticker, if so just go, but bring credit card. [/quote][/quote]

Are these required after conversion? Or while operating before complete? (inspection stickers... mine is 4 years old)
thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

The inspection sticker is for use as a school bus. Often, when a bus goes to auction it has a current sticker, and the bus was on the maintenance roster. That means it was maintained until shortly before auction. That's the way it works with buses auctioned by the State of Washington. YMMV.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Re: Inspections - If I understand correctly, some states don't require further inspections, once it's an RV. Others states require ALL vehicles to have safety and perhaps emissions inspections on a regular basis. The requirements may be stricter for buses schlepping school kids as opposed to other vehicles, say inspections every 6 months as opposed to every year.

Buying a bus with an unexpired inspection means either:
1.) the bus was judged to be safe at some time within the last inspection time period, or
2.) the previous owner knew an inspector that would look the other way.

Buying a bus with an expired inspection means either:
1.) the bus has been sitting for some time and not on the road, or
2.) the previous owner didn't care to keep the bus legal, and drove it without a required inspection, or
3.) the bus has been used in inspection-exempt service.

If the bus has been sitting, rubber goods will be suspect (belts, hoses, tires, wipers), and everything in the bus will need a good going over. The expiration on the last inspection would give a good idea how long the sit was.

If the bus has been run per the seller, but does not have a required inspection (not likely with school kids, more likely from a private owner) then you have to suspect that the owner was also willing to run it without proper maintenance as well. It may be wiser to pass that bus over for another one.

Anyway, Telluriders: good luck with your adventure! I'm sure the project will give you experiences to draw upon for a lifetime, whether you make it to the festival in the way you planned, or not.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
Re: Inspections - If I understand correctly, some states don't require further inspections, once it's an RV. Others states require ALL vehicles to have safety and perhaps emissions inspections on a regular basis. The requirements may be stricter for buses schlepping school kids as opposed to other vehicles, say inspections every 6 months as opposed to every year.

Buying a bus with an unexpired inspection means either:
1.) the bus was judged to be safe at some time within the last inspection time period, or
2.) the previous owner knew an inspector that would look the other way.

Buying a bus with an expired inspection means either:
1.) the bus has been sitting for some time and not on the road, or
2.) the previous owner didn't care to keep the bus legal, and drove it without a required inspection, or
3.) the bus has been used in inspection-exempt service.

If the bus has been sitting, rubber goods will be suspect (belts, hoses, tires, wipers), and everything in the bus will need a good going over. The expiration on the last inspection would give a good idea how long the sit was.

If the bus has been run per the seller, but does not have a required inspection (not likely with school kids, more likely from a private owner) then you have to suspect that the owner was also willing to run it without proper maintenance as well. It may be wiser to pass that bus over for another one.

Anyway, Telluriders: good luck with your adventure! I'm sure the project will give you experiences to draw upon for a lifetime, whether you make it to the festival in the way you planned, or not.
Yeah, this one was just retired from the district this summer...so its only been with the P/O for 4 months shuttling kayakers up the river ...so no harm im sure hahaha But, i just cant understand why a district would use busses like GMC in their fleets if the Bluebird uses a CAT 3116. (This following information is what ive read up on so far) Anyway, the 3116 is a 6 cylinder inline 6.4 L Turbo commonly used in medium duty trucks such as tree trucks (Kodiak top kicks.) Anyhow, they are meant to run all day long at low rpm, yet they can be tuned to 3500 To get 65 to 70 mph??? CAT has even provided instructions on how to do so?? They must want so extra $$$ on a quick burn out engine, nice plan capitalist...im not buying it (well we did when we bought the bus ) On the other hand, they were originally designed to tow heavy loads for a long period of time which is perfect for a trip with 12 groovy friends to colorado! I also read that by the later '90s CAT hand worked out most of the kinks with this engine...may just be a piss in the wind, idk. My only concern is the drop in rpm/speed when we hit the hills. Im no speed demon, but i do worry that we need to look into some modifications to get it up through the rockies...or else we will stop dead colder than an a coors light (poor pun.)
Either way, thanks for your feed back Redbear....nice and through!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #38
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

I read a question in one of your earlier posts about registration as an RV - don't know if you found this yet, but seems that this is what the DMV requires to call your bus home ... don't know what they think about the color ...

This is from the North Carolina General Statutes - found here'

20?4.01. Definitions.
Unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply throughout this Chapter to the defined words and phrases and their cognates:

(27) Passenger Vehicles.
d2. Motor home or house car. A vehicular unit, designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into as an integral part, or permanently attached to, a self?propelled motor vehicle chassis or van. The vehicle must provide at least four of the following facilities: cooking, refrigeration or icebox, self?contained toilet, heating or air conditioning, a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink, separate 110?125 volt electrical power supply, or an LP gas supply.

(32a) Recreational Vehicle. A vehicular type unit primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use that either has its own motive power or is mounted on, or towed by, another vehicle. The basic entities are camping trailer, fifth?wheel travel trailer, motor home, travel trailer, and truck camper.
a. Motor home. As defined in G.S. 20?4.01(27)d2.

You find Safety Inspection regulation manual and checklist here.

The title registration manual is found here

This might help round out your 'to-do' list.

Tom
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #39
wtd
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas TransitLiner

I didn't even really read it - just saw it was 'the list' and posted, but good point,
Quote:
a portable water supply system including a faucet and sink,
I'd think if the DMV didnt admit a typo, then it could be argued either way.
'Of course it's portable - all I have to do is drive the bus over there ...'
or the other way
'Definitely not portable - look it's bolted down'

Seems like if you you follow that old saying -
'If you have the law on your side argue the law, if you have the facts on your side argue the facts - if you don't have either one just argue'
you might just choose the last option.

Tom
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Whewwww so its been a while.
Currently we have ( of us going, including myself. Since december, we have:
-Taken all the seats out
-Kilzed and painted the inside
-painted the dash
- Changed all oil, filters, and a corroded compressor hose, greased all joints
- taken a few windows out and replaced them with "mural-dows"
-pieced to gether a skylights for the hatch
- began piecing together an electrical system
Attached Images
File Type: jpg up.JPG (40.0 KB, 446 views)