Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: 1997 AmTran International DT466

Tango---this is an offically hyjacked thread what are you doing actually trying to address the original question?---Sorry, I just could not resist. Please feel free to jerk me around at your earliest convence. Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #62

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

I'm in Santa Rosa NM. I'm going to get some sleep now. I am wiped out. Too much to say but my mind in not functioning properly right now. No wisecracks.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #63
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
On the locks --- check with the manufacturer. I got a keyed locking handle that was available from Blue Bird for the rear on my old unit and they may have an option for the front as well. Many of the skoolies were also rigged at the factory for other applications that required locks. Just a thought in case you haven't tried there yet. If so, they will be an easy fit.
carzycals bus has a front door lock, but the guys at the skool maintenance shop says it don't work?
So who hijacked crazycal"s bus?
Did not read that here anywhere?
Is he ok?
Where did it happen?
When did it happen?
last report I got he was sleeping somewhere in Mexico, enjoying the cool weather and drinking a cool one.
How is the recliner working out for you?
Hope all is ok, give us and update when possible.... great mileage so far..
Old 07-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #64
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I'm in Santa Rosa NM.... Too much to say but my mind in not functioning properly right now....
You are suffering from heat exhaustion. Keep drinking water but you are sweating out the electrolytes you need. I understand the "brain fog" since we had that when we came out west. took us a week to recover from our trip. Stop in the grocery store and pick up some bottles of Pedialyte (SP?) or a sports drink/Coconut water or other drink to replace electrolytes. Intersperse with the water and stop in air conditioned places as much as possible. COOL OFF!

Quote:
Heat exhaustion symptoms:
-- Often pale with cool, moist skin
-- Sweating profusely (note: we have found in NM, the humidity is often so low that your sweat may evaporate as fast as you sweat)
-- Muscle cramps or pains
-- Feel faint or dizzy
-- May complain of headache, weakness, thirst, and nausea
-- Core (rectal) temperature elevated-usually more than 100 F (37.7 C) and the pulse rate increased

In hot weather people need to drink plenty of liquids to replace fluids lost from sweating. Thirst is not a reliable sign that a person needs fluids. A better indicator is the color of urine. A dark yellow color may indicate dehydration. It is debated whether water or sports drinks are more effective to regain fluids; however, drinking only water without ingesting any salts will lead to a condition known as hyponatremia, or low sodium, which can cause sudden death from heart attack.

To help prevent heat stress:
-- Block out direct sun or other heat sources
-- Use cooling fans/air-conditioning; rest regularly
-- Drink sufficient, cold water and drinks
-- Use the cooling talc powder to assist body cooling
-- Wear lightweight, light colored, loose-fitting clothes
-- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated drinks, or heavy meals
-- Don't eat excessive fat, cholesterol foods
-- Take a towel or handkerchief to clean off sweat
-- Leave the hottest area; remain in coolest area.
My tips:
-- bathe in cool water
-- take your shoes off as place your feet on a tub or shallow pan of water move your feet in/out of the water allowing the blood flowing thru the veins in your feet to cool. Sounds silly but works well. Even if the water is warm or "room temp" lifting your feet out an allowing the "breeze" (natural or fanned) will cool things down.
-- stop in a campground (public will allow you in even if the bus has school written all over it) and cool off in their showers

I was using a spray bottle of water and spritzed myself a lot coming out here. I got a terrific sunburn to go along with the heat exhaustion. Interstates are hotter than anyplace elese. That is why we pulled off of I20 in Midland/Odessa and took a primary highway into NM rather than heading down the road to El Paso & Las Cruces to pick up I-25. We believed the heat would kill us and our vehicles if we didn't find an alternative. As soon as we crossed into NM we stopped in Hobbs at a public park and sat in their showers cooling off for about an hour (water started out feeling warm to me then I dialed it back slowly until the water was slightly cool feeling as I cooled down). Prior to that we would stop in rest stops and almost take a bath in the sinks. We would walk out soaking wet. BTW, blue jeans hold heat in. Use a wet towel to wipe down with (it won't be wet long) but don't wrap it around you as it will act like insulation. BLACK jeans will make my skin blister from heat under the fabric!

Keep drinking lots of water after you get home (2 - 3 liters per day) until your pee is almost or completely clear.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #65
Bus Nut

crazycal, take Lorna's advice....... as she speaks from experience of her bus ride from Tn to NM.
Hope you make it home soon, please update when possible...
Old 07-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Yeah, we hope you're alright. Getting cooked driving a bus sucks. With luck, you'll make it home, and have a great post about the journey.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #67

I'm stopped at a Flying J in Albuquerque right now. I'm afraid I might have a bad injector. I'm waiting for a reply from one of my. Diesel forums right now. I still have 1200 miles to go. I stopped to verify the condition. If it is an injector, I'm probably going to get hosed. We'll see.

Thanks Lorna for the advice. I'm going though at least a gallon of water per day. I bought two different coolers and they both SUCK! Both are igloo and they are going back. Maybe I'll try a Coleman.

I'll keep you guys posted.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
I'm stopped at a Flying J in Albuquerque right now. I'm afraid I might have a bad injector. I'm waiting for a reply from one of my. Diesel forums right now. I still have 1200 miles to go. I stopped to verify the condition. If it is an injector, I'm probably going to get hosed. We'll see.

Thanks Lorna for the advice. I'm going though at least a gallon of water per day. I bought two different coolers and they both SUCK! Both are igloo and they are going back. Maybe I'll try a Coleman.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Thanks for the update,
best of luck on the injector
and ther aint no kooler that will work in tat kinda heat........

1238 miles down, 1204 miles to go man you're over halfway home.....
Old 07-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #69
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

I've come back from camping with my Coleman coolers + set them in the yard=and had ice last a couple of more days. thats a total of like 5 days.

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
sdwarf36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
I've come back from camping with my Coleman coolers + set them in the yard=and had ice last a couple of more days. thats a total of like 5 days.

I think that's what I'm getting. What I said about International Bus oversleeping when God was passing out insulation extends to igloo also. Don't buy one of their coolers.

I think my bus problem may not be what I thought it was. I will be back on the road in an hour after a good long shower and some food.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Good to hear,its still going good
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Great! Glad to hear that....... stay cool, drink plenty, drive safe......
Old 07-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #73
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
... I'm going though at least a gallon of water per day. I bought two different coolers and they both SUCK! Both are igloo and they are going back. Maybe I'll try a Coleman.
When temp hit 100+ up your water intake. Means you will be drinking almost constantly.

Cooler: Try for the Coleman Extreme cooler (must say EXTREME and/or 5 DAY bought at Wal-Mart). We have an Igloo Cube (narrow but deep) that does very well. But the Extreme 5 day cooler holds ice a long time, even out here. We did the old tent camper trick of lining the interior of the lid with reflectix. You can also lay a piece on top of the ice and it really makes a big difference. I don't think any cooler manufacturer insulated their lids. We use both brands on our food cart to hold drinks. Coming out we had all the coolers (5 I think) filled with water bottles and ice. The water was leftover from doing street vending & events in NC (we did an event just before we left). We bought ice every day. Sam's Club was the best $. Since we stayed in so many Sam's Clubs (my #1 choice for wallydocking) we just bought ice before leaving in the morning. We kept the coolers covered with a tarp & reflectix to keep the sun off of them. We go thru 2+ cases (of 35 bottles) every week (personal consumption). I stay slightly dehydrated all the time. Best way for me to rehydrate is to eat watermelon (I eat 1/2 of a cannonball type at a time).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #74
Bus Nut

Well, crazycal?
We haven't heard from you since Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:17 pm.
I know you're in the NM, AZ area and coverage is kinda limited but drop us a line or post and update whenever you can.
Hope you're staying KOOL..... Be safe.
PS. I'll drink another cold one for you.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #75

Crossed into CA.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #76
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Skip the Igloo, Coleman crap. I just bit the bullet on one of these, all done fooling around: http://www.truebluecoolers.com/ You get what you pay for.....
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #77
Bus Nut

WAHOO!!!!!!!!

Finally made it to ur home state.
Getting close,
Congrats on the trip from Hell and welcome back to California....
I know you're glad...
hang in there, won't be long now, stay awake, stay alert, stay cooool, drive safe......
talk at you in a few days after you get refreshed....
Old 07-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #78

I am eating a burrito at Chipotle's right now. I will be home tonight. It's been a long trip. I guess I'm not as young as I used to be. This trip took a lot out of me. I will write more later.

Thanks Lorna, you hit the nail on the head about the pedialite. That helped but something I did at the start probably didn't help the way I felt.

As far as the bus is concerned, it's awesome. It's going to need a few things. Shocks, alignment, steer tires to start. My fuel mileage is way better than I could have hoped for especially the horror stories I've heard about the AT545.

I'm almost done with my burrito so I will be signing off. I hope everyone has a great Fourth of July. Stay safe.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #79
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Almost home...great Be safe and enjoy the 4th with your new skoolie
Old 07-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #80
Bus Geek

Congrates and happy 4th.....and let's hear a 3 beer story about the trip.....it had to be epic.....until the next epic trip
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote