Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Yeah I think the plywood needs to go. I will be removing it. I found some tile really cheap but that was my concern exactly. I was thinking the tile would crack or the grout would not hold up very well.

Thank you

I Know You Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Hello everyone,

Its been a while. I have a quick update for you and picture will be posted soon.

So, we ended up getting a really good deal on some polyiso foam boards. We are doing 2 layers of 1in on the cieling and 1 inch on the walls and floor. Almpst finished with this.

We scrapped the seats. Someone from CL came to pick them up because i dont have a truck. In conversation infound out that he had am rv that he was scapping. Perfect!! I got a fresh water tank (40gal), propane fridge, stove, oven, a sink, water pump. and a shower for $75. Score!!

I ran into some trouble. While ripping out the ceiling i unhooked all of the wiring that was grounded to the ceiling metal. I should have marked what goes where. The problem im having is one of the emergency windows or roof hatches is setting off the alarm and preventing the bus from starting. I tryed hooking everything back up, it still buzzes and still wont start. Any idea how these emergency window and hatch switches work?

Thanks,
Old 08-14-2016, 04:42 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Know You Rider View Post
Hello everyone,

Its been a while. I have a quick update for you and picture will be posted soon.

So, we ended up getting a really good deal on some polyiso foam boards. We are doing 2 layers of 1in on the cieling and 1 inch on the walls and floor. Almpst finished with this.

We scrapped the seats. Someone from CL came to pick them up because i dont have a truck. In conversation infound out that he had am rv that he was scapping. Perfect!! I got a fresh water tank (40gal), propane fridge, stove, oven, a sink, water pump. and a shower for $75. Score!!

I ran into some trouble. While ripping out the ceiling i unhooked all of the wiring that was grounded to the ceiling metal. I should have marked what goes where. The problem im having is one of the emergency windows or roof hatches is setting off the alarm and preventing the bus from starting. I tryed hooking everything back up, it still buzzes and still wont start. Any idea how these emergency window and hatch switches work?

Thanks,
I didn't read the whole thread... But your answer might be in here
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/ki...new-10315.html
Old 08-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

rewiring the ignition

Ok,

So i looked at the link you posted and it had another link within it that helped a bit. I think I will cut out the emergency switches and just rewire the ignition to the starter. I hope I can figure it out. If not I think I know someone who can.

Thanks for the help,
Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Still no luck with getting her started. It seems to be a little different than the others ive seen on the forum. I am confident that I can figure it out tomorrow.

Each door has a switch that seems to be a ground interrupt. It has one wire (black [hot]) going in and one (white [ground]) going out that is grounded to the sheet metal on the walls. Im not sure if the switch is normally closed or normally open. Ive traced the wire back to the panel to a relay. I should be able to just ground the wires going to the switches i assumed. I dont know.

Second problem... there is a heavy draw on the batteries. It charged them to full and within 30 minutes the battery is down to 5 or 6 volts (really low). Not sure why yet. I hope to figure it out tomorrow on my day off. I need to drive it 300 miles 16 days from today. Wish me luck!!!

Thank you,
Old 08-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Know You Rider View Post
Second problem... there is a heavy draw on the batteries. It charged them to full and within 30 minutes the battery is down to 5 or 6 volts (really low). Not sure why yet. I hope to figure it out tomorrow on my day off. I need to drive it 300 miles 16 days from today. Wish me luck!!!
Are you sure there's a heavy draw? I know you mentioned that the batteries are new, but it still could be that one of the batteries is pooched. Sometimes a bad battery will hold a normal surface voltage (upwards of 12v), but the second a load is applied will drop down to extremely low voltage. That's a good indication of a stinker...

Before digging deeper into wiring I would get them load tested. Most auto parts stores will do it free of charge if you bring the battery to them.

You could also grab a cheap clamp-on ammeter to see if you have any heavy draws through the battery cable while you're charging the batteries... That could help to confirm or rule out that possibility.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
Are you sure there's a heavy draw? I know you mentioned that the batteries are new, but it still could be that one of the batteries is pooched. Sometimes a bad battery will hold a normal surface voltage (upwards of 12v), but the second a load is applied will drop down to extremely low voltage. That's a good indication of a stinker...

Before digging deeper into wiring I would get them load tested. Most auto parts stores will do it free of charge if you bring the battery to them.

You could also grab a cheap clamp-on ammeter to see if you have any heavy draws through the battery cable while you're charging the batteries... That could help to confirm or rule out that possibility.

Thanks for the advice. The batteries were stolen out of the bus sometime between sunday and this morning. Killed my whole day getting new ones and putting locks on all of my doors. I keep all my tools for the job in the bus and they didnt take a single thing other than the batteries. I guess im lucky. I will be taking the batteries home every night from here untill we find somewhere else to keep it. My dad is coming up this weekend to help me with the woring issues. He should be able to figure it out.

Ill keep you posted,
Old 08-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Bastard thieves... Too bad we can't actually equip our busses with a "trunk monkey" type security device...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:35 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Update:

We had it towed 6 hours away because it wouldnt start and we were moving. Still dont have it running after paying a road service guy $500 to come try to fix it. We will be spending the winter in it so we need to get rolling. Its all insulated we just need to find a wood stove for it.

Thanks