Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
2000 international (No name yet)

Hello all,

We found her!! We purchased this beauty yesterday. We made the 2 hour haul south to Hillburn NY where hunk of metal was parked on a grassy hill. We had a heavy vehicle road service mechanic hook the computer up to check everything out. He also checked over the frame, brakes, transition, tires and anything else he could get his hands on ($$$). After about an hour look ever he gave me the the thumbs up. We negotiated the price a little, shortly after had the title in hand on the way to the local DMV. On the way to the DMV I called progressive insurance. I ended up getting a commercial policy for personal use for $1300 per year (Any suggestions to get a cheaper policy would be greatly appreciated) the the DMV went surprisingly well other thank the 2 hour wait. With a little sweet talking I got her re-titled as a van with regular plates and a 10 day inspection. By the time we got back to the bus it was 8pm. Now that it has been re-titled I dont need a CDL to drive it in New York(correct me if I'm wrong). I hopped in the drivers throne and made the maiden voyage 100 miles north. I've never driven such a large vehicle before so I was extra careful and had Desaray keeping and eye out for me when I was changing lanes. We took a few breaks to stop and guzzle down some water to keep from dehydrating. We pulled into the storage lot at 10:30 pm ($40 per month super cheap). I didn't get a chance to do much today, I had to work most of the day. Tomorrow we are going to try our luck at removing seats. We hope to have this ready before the winter hits.

Can anyone tell me a fair price for a bus like this?
2000 International 300 72 pass with a DT466E and a Allison 545 transmission?

We'll keep you posted,

Joe and Desaray

I tried to upload some pictures but I keep getting "Upload Failed". I checked the file size and dimensions and everything looks good. I'll try again in the morning.

I Know You Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The failed upload is probably because you are still a new member; it should allow you after a few posts.

My insurance is also through Progressive, similar policy but more like $30-40 a month. This could be because I live in a rural area, and said it would remain within 50 miles and see very little use each year. Also it is parked in a secured storage lot.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Know You Rider View Post
Hello all,

We found her!! We purchased this beauty yesterday. We made the 2 hour haul south to Hillburn NY where hunk of metal was parked on a grassy hill. We had a heavy vehicle road service mechanic hook the computer up to check everything out. He also checked over the frame, brakes, transition, tires and anything else he could get his hands on ($$$). After about an hour look ever he gave me the the thumbs up. We negotiated the price a little, shortly after had the title in hand on the way to the local DMV. On the way to the DMV I called progressive insurance. I ended up getting a commercial policy for personal use for $1300 per year (Any suggestions to get a cheaper policy would be greatly appreciated) the the DMV went surprisingly well other thank the 2 hour wait. With a little sweet talking I got her re-titled as a van with regular plates and a 10 day inspection. By the time we got back to the bus it was 8pm. Now that it has been re-titled I dont need a CDL to drive it in New York(correct me if I'm wrong). I hopped in the drivers throne and made the maiden voyage 100 miles north. I've never driven such a large vehicle before so I was extra careful and had Desaray keeping and eye out for me when I was changing lanes. We took a few breaks to stop and guzzle down some water to keep from dehydrating. We pulled into the storage lot at 10:30 pm ($40 per month super cheap). I didn't get a chance to do much today, I had to work most of the day. Tomorrow we are going to try our luck at removing seats. We hope to have this ready before the winter hits.

Can anyone tell me a fair price for a bus like this?
2000 International 300 72 pass with a DT466E and a Allison 545 transmission?

We'll keep you posted,

Joe and Desaray

I tried to upload some pictures but I keep getting "Upload Failed". I checked the file size and dimensions and everything looks good. I'll try again in the morning.
Once your post count is up to five or ten you can post pics.
Welcome! Nice screen name!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E International
Congratulations!

As the proud owner of a 1999 International Genesis with the same engine and transmission that you just purchased, I can say that I'm very excited for you! Driving sure is different when you're behind the wheel of your bus, isn't it?

You asked what a fair price would be, and I don't know about fair, but we paid $2025 for ours through publicsurplus.com. It seemed like a steal to me, but we had the second of two bids on her, and the first was for the base price - I only had to offer $25 more to win her.

We have our insurance through The Hartford, and pay under $500/year. Again, a pretty good deal as far as I can tell.

Good luck and have fun!
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeldatheWonderbus View Post
As the proud owner of a 1999 International Genesis with the same engine and transmission that you just purchased, I can say that I'm very excited for you! Driving sure is different when you're behind the wheel of your bus, isn't it?

You asked what a fair price would be, and I don't know about fair, but we paid $2025 for ours through publicsurplus.com. It seemed like a steal to me, but we had the second of two bids on her, and the first was for the base price - I only had to offer $25 more to win her.

We have our insurance through The Hartford, and pay under $500/year. Again, a pretty good deal as far as I can tell.

Good luck and have fun!
Sounds like me. I paid $2150 for my 1992 Ward Senator which was what they called the AmTran Genesis. My insurance is around $700 a year.
These buses drive GREAT.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank for all of the input.

I paid $2400 for the Bus it came with 2 Brand new batteries and 3/4 tank of fuel. The guy selling it told me the batteries had been taken in for the winter so they would not freeze and he could not locate them. Lucky for me I bought the bus at a Bus repair center so he gave me 2 brand new ones. It looks like I should be shopping around for a lower price for insurance though.

Since it has been titles a "van" can I insure it non-commercial?

We started to take the seats out this morning before work. It looks like we will need a grinder, we tried conventional ratchets and an impact driver, both with little luck. After 2 hours we didn't even have one seat out. The trouble is the lot we have it parked in does not have a power supply. We will hopefully be getting a generator from my father so we can run a grinder. Next step would be gutting the floor, walls and ceiling. After that my dad has a connect in the spray foam industry so we will have the entire inside foamed.

How much closed cell foam will I need and where?
I assume the ceiling is the biggest heat loss so maybe 2-3 inches.
The walls maybe 2 inches
The floor maybe 2 inches.
We plan to winter in it near Buffalo NY so we are in for a cold one.

We also plan on getting either a propane marine heater or maybe a diesel marine heater. I've seen a few but they are real pricey. Any suggestions on finding a used one or a cheaper option would be great.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Winter in Buffalo? Full-timing in a skoolie? I would go 3" up & down. 2" on the walls. Two-part, closed-cell spray foam is the general winner for insulation. I would skin both exterior sides and drop a few double pane windows in place. Make sure you have a solid, dry heat source.

Good luck!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thank for all of the input.

I paid $2400 for the Bus it came with 2 Brand new batteries and 3/4 tank of fuel. The guy selling it told me the batteries had been taken in for the winter so they would not freeze and he could not locate them. Lucky for me I bought the bus at a Bus repair center so he gave me 2 brand new ones. It looks like I should be shopping around for a lower price for insurance though.

Since it has been titles a "van" can I insure it non-commercial?

We started to take the seats out this morning before work. It looks like we will need a grinder, we tried conventional ratchets and an impact driver, both with little luck. After 2 hours we didn't even have one seat out. The trouble is the lot we have it parked in does not have a power supply. We will hopefully be getting a generator from my father so we can run a grinder. Next step would be gutting the floor, walls and ceiling. After that my dad has a connect in the spray foam industry so we will have the entire inside foamed.

How much closed cell foam will I need and where?
I assume the ceiling is the biggest heat loss so maybe 2-3 inches.
The walls maybe 2 inches
The floor maybe 2 inches.
We plan to winter in it near Buffalo NY so we are in for a cold one.

We also plan on getting either a propane marine heater or maybe a diesel marine heater. I've seen a few but they are real pricey. Any suggestions on finding a used one or a cheaper option would be great.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Right on! I can feel your excitement from here

Yes now that it is a Van you may get regular insurance, and it will be much cheeper.
Nice you got an inside track with the foam people. Can't beat that. Guessing you all plan to live in the bus? You just gave me a great idea; i am smack bad in the city and had been concerned about my wood stove for winter; surely people will notice a chimney pluming out wood smoke, but not so much if i go with a propane heater. Will look into that once it goes below 80 lol

Congrats!

ps. if you pm me i can give you my email addy and post a picture for you (so long as that is allowed?)
or the simple way is to upload to imgur and just post the link here.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Carytowncat,

I will be calling around for insurance on Monday. Also lucky for us we are Browning a generator for a week. We will be able to use real power tools the help remove the seats. The battery operated ones just are not nearly as aggressive and will take us for ever. We are hoping to move into it in the next 2 months finished or not. The main priority is insulation and heat. The rest we can do while we are living in it. After the seats are out we will get a quote for the foam work.

I listed in a previous comment how much foam we plan on doing. I was hoping for some feedback.
Has anyone wintered in one of these buses?
What mistakes did you make?
What kind of heater is best?

Thank you,

Joe and Desaray
Old 07-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I have a cordless grinder.. a dewalt 20 volter with 3 of the big capacity batteries... the battery charger works great on an inverter in the bus... yes I run grinder batteries down fairly quick but ive found I cant use them as fast as I can charge them with the quickcharge base unit.....

you also get more efficient at grinding or cutting so you use less battery each time you cut...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Here aree the pictures of their bus!

Skoolie - Album on Imgur
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you everyone for all of your input. Today we spent 6 hours grinding the bolts on the seats. We have most of them out. We hope to get the rest out tomorrow. Any ideas what we can do with the seats? We plan to keep at least two of them to make a breakfast nook. Desaray is really handy with a sewing machine so she will be making covers for them. Then we will situate a table in the middle. We could always scrap the metal and junk the cushions. We were hoping for a better way to utilize them.

We will keep you posted.
Joe and Desaray
Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #14
Bus Nut

I would strip the cushions from the frames and recoup whatever cash I could from scrapping the steel. If the foam is still in good shape, remove and trash the vinyl. Use the foam for any cushions you need on your skoolie. Foam has gotten expensive!
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:52 AM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Gillig
Engine: 1160 V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 79
Cary Towncat,

For a heat source, you could look into a wood burning stove that is EPA compliant and actually secondary burns the smoke while it's still inside the stove...if you're standing outside you can't even tell it's burning (unless you use wet or green wood). I'm getting the Hobbit stove for mine, check them out! 😊

Propane might be easier if you're in a suburban or city area, though. 👍🏼

Helping victims & survivors of human trafficking regain their lives.
www.oasisprojekt.org
FreedomPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Rated Cap: 84
Great looking bus. I bet your excited to get to work on it. I have a 1999 International AmTran with the same engine but MD3060 trans. Good luck on the build and you're in the best place to get help with any questions you may have.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
Almost There

Looks like a very nice rust free bus! Not a fan of the Dayton (spoke) type wheels. Not that it would be an issue. Good luck on your build. Wood stoves are great if you have access to cut wood other wise LP would be a good option.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I have a cordless grinder.. a dewalt 20 volter with 3 of the big capacity batteries... the battery charger works great on an inverter in the bus... yes I run grinder batteries down fairly quick but ive found I cant use them as fast as I can charge them with the quickcharge base unit.....

you also get more efficient at grinding or cutting so you use less battery each time you cut...
-Christopher
I have the same grinder and love it! It doesn't spin as fast as a 120vac unit, but it has great torque. There are days where I'll use it for hours at a time and just keep cycling through batteries. My 120vac charger died a couple years back, so I grabbed the 12vdc charger and it works equally well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty_59 View Post
Not a fan of the Dayton (spoke) type wheels. Not that it would be an issue.
I'll expand on this with a link to a thread on Dayton and Budd style wheels: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f33/wh...nfo-10659.html
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Alright,

Seats are all out. I have a scrapper coming tonight to haul them off for me. We are saving 2 of them. Desaray will be reupholstering them so we can use them to put together our kitchen eating area. 10 day inspection will be up in just a few days. We've made an appointment for monday to get it inspected. Wish me luck! Next i planned to remove the 3/4 in plywood on the floor but, my dad suggested laying foam over it then doing 1/2 in over that. Should we remove the 3/4 ply and why?

After the inspection we plan to continue by removing the ceiling and walls. Spray foam as much as we can afford (Budget is running thin). We are hoping to find a free floor and kitchen cabinets. Gotta love the craigslist free section. We understand insulation is most important (upstate NY winter is cold) we can always put in new cabinets.

Has anyone done tile in their bus? How well does it hold up?

More pictures to come,
Joe and desaray
Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Rated Cap: 84
If you are going to live full time in your bus I'd definitely take out the 3/4 plywood flooring. Even though it might look ok from the top surface you'll have no way of knowing how much moisture has gotten underneath it and created rust issues on the steel floor.

As for tile in a bus i have seen some folks use small 1 inch tiles for a wood stove surround enclosure but if putting down as a floor I would bet that all the constant flexing of the bus while driving would crack all the grout inbetween the tiles.