Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Re: 2000 Thomas Saf-t Liner

The batteries are good, starter spins but the solenoid doesn't kick the gear out... I think I may have burnt it up when my batteries were low...

steve.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #42
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: international
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.c
The batteries are good, starter spins but the solenoid doesn't kick the gear out... I think I may have burnt it up when my batteries were low...
while replacing the solenoid, starter drive (bendix), replace bushings and brushess also. check magnets for cracking and make sure the adhesive is not cracking and clean the armature.
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:55 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Congrats on the progress, and good luck on fixing the starting issue. I have a bus I bought from Montgomery County in July, same auction as you. Curious as to whether you are planning on putting the sidewalls and ceiling back up after insulating? From what I've read on here that sounds like a huge pain. I've been working on taking them both down in mine, and was planning on replacing them with wood (pine 1x3's on the ceiling and shiplap on the sides) but am a little concerned as to whether or not that compromises the integrity of the bus structure overall? Do you (or anyone else) have any thoughts on that?
bustagator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:25 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

I do not plan on reinstalling the wall/ceiling panels as I'm going with the tongue and groove look. I spoke to the folks at Thomas and their official position was not to alter the bus but the fact is this bus is a beast! From what I was able to gather from my conversation, the stuff we install poses more of a hazard than removing the liners and this is only in reference to a rollover. I'm not planning on doing that and I always give myself plenty of time to stop the bus. I spoke to a few mechanical engineers friend and their opinion was that the bus construction was very sound and designed with school children safety in mind. That said; at 9 tons +-, it's bigger than most vehicles on the rode an way safer even without the inner panels... From the incidents I have read about, it's more likely, the tongue and groove will pose more of a fire threat than the safety impact of removing of the panels. Make sure you have plenty of exits and several extinguishers on hand as the wiring/propane (not using it here) poses a larger risk... Do you have any recomendations of mechanics/garage (local NVA) where I might get the bus serviced? I'm thinking I would like to get the oil changed and veering serviced for my own piece of mind.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #45
r_w
Skoolie

My back of the napkin calculations say most of the strength of the inner liner are at the ends, so if you put each end panel on you are back to completely overbuilt. Put the one back at each emergency hatch for ludicrous overbuilt (by RV standards).
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.c
I do not plan on reinstalling the wall/ceiling panels as I'm going with the tongue and groove look. I spoke to the folks at Thomas and their official position was not to alter the bus but the fact is this bus is a beast! From what I was able to gather from my conversation, the stuff we install poses more of a hazard than removing the liners and this is only in reference to a rollover. I'm not planning on doing that and I always give myself plenty of time to stop the bus. I spoke to a few mechanical engineers friend and their opinion was that the bus construction was very sound and designed with school children safety in mind. That said; at 9 tons +-, it's bigger than most vehicles on the rode an way safer even without the inner panels... From the incidents I have read about, it's more likely, the tongue and groove will pose more of a fire threat than the safety impact of removing of the panels. Make sure you have plenty of exits and several extinguishers on hand as the wiring/propane (not using it here) poses a larger risk... Do you have any recomendations of mechanics/garage (local NVA) where I might get the bus serviced? I'm thinking I would like to get the oil changed and veering serviced for my own piece of mind.
Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. Can't give you any referrals as I am actually from New England, went down to Maryland to get the bus cause I wanted to avoid all the rust we get up here. Seems to have worked out so far as the bus has very little rust as far as I can see. I'll be following your build with interest, planning on getting my own thread started here soon.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:23 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
My back of the napkin calculations say most of the strength of the inner liner are at the ends, so if you put each end panel on you are back to completely overbuilt. Put the one back at each emergency hatch for ludicrous overbuilt (by RV standards).
That's very helpful. I'm going to leave the front panel in and the one all the way in the back (smaller strip) in as well.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

So after calling Thomas Bus, the local Caterpillar Dealer, the bus garage, and the Heavy Truck Mechanic I was able to locate a replacement starter. Where did you find it and how much did it cost you ask? Amazon for $132.74 with free shipping. Now all I have to do is install it...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 7.51.37 PM.png   IMG_0114.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72

Amazon is the answer for all things.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Success today! the new starter is in, started like a champ, drove it around the block a few times and then parkers her back in the drive way... Big thanks to my friend Alex, who was able to lend a helping hand and the Thomas Bus support staff, who provided detailed schematics so I could get it right!
Old 10-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

I have been busy replacing the windows with 16G pans I had made that drop right in to replace the existing windows...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0126.jpg   IMG_0125.jpg   IMG_0123.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #52
Mini-Skoolie

A view from the inside...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0129.jpg  
Old 10-29-2014, 04:26 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks to this group for the great idea of swapping the top lights to reuse for turn/break lights...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0128.jpg