Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #181
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: 2012... The Year of Renewal

No photos today, worked too far into the evening to get any worth a damn.

This week I had to exchange my crank batteries for new ones since the old ones would no longer hold a charge. Before installing the new batteries I bought a BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfator — 1.3 Amp, 12 Volt, Model# 12117 from Northern Tool. With a 4.9 out of 5 rating and recommendation from 225 out of 226 people, I figured it should work just fine.

I've also spent an inordinate amount of time shopping for counter tops. All I need is a 10' run, but I don't want just a plain COTS counter. Maybe I'm being too picky. But this will take up a large portion of the driver's side, so I want it to look nice. I was originally going with a cream color. But after working in photoshop for a while, I realize that will be too much yellowish brown in one area.

While debating counter tops, I took some time to create another template for the bathroom wall. Then, this afternoon I cut out and installed it. The layout has changed a little from my original concept. Instead of the toilet facing towards the front of the bus, it's been turned 90 degrees to face the driver's side wall. This allowed me to move the wall in and make the toilet space smaller. Instead of a solid wall enclosing the area along the aisle side, I'll hang a privacy curtain.

By making this change I've opened up a foot of extra space on the side of the couch that can be used for storage. Moving the wall that foot also visually opened the space a little bit more - weird how that little bit of space can make such a difference!

Oh yeah... added edit here: This weekend I got the inlet side of the plumbing done. Now all I have to do is install the counter top, drain for the sink & shower, and the (all important) grey water tank.

TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #182

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Your bus looks great. I think I saw this bus on Craigslist. I have a picture saved. A friend sent me a link to the ad. Was the seller in VA?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #183
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

I think you just sold me on the floor! looks great! about how much did that cost you?

Thanks
Mikey
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:27 PM   #184
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
Your bus looks great. I think I saw this bus on Craigslist. I have a picture saved. A friend sent me a link to the ad. Was the seller in VA?
Yes, it was up in Richmond. Once I saw it in person and realized it was everything I originally wanted in a bus, there was no way I could pass it up. When the Universe puts your heart's desire in the way, ya better grab on with both hands and say, "Thank You".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBskunk
I think you just sold me on the floor! looks great! about how much did that cost you?
The first flooring I bought was 8 boxes for $470... (20sqft/box = $2.97/sqft)
The floor I ended up using was 6 boxes for $270... (24sqft/box = $1.88/sqft)!

It was easier to install. I know the pieces won't pull apart (at all) over rough roads or due to heat warping them, and it is a different, interesting pattern.

Go for it! The stuff is very finicky while installing, but the end result is awesome.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #185
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Beautiful work, I'm looking forward to more pictures of the conversion
Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #186
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland

thats not too bad....

thanks again
Mikey
MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #187
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: Navistar International
Engine: 7.3 Power Stroker Diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
I've also spent an inordinate amount of time shopping for counter tops. All I need is a 10' run, but I don't want just a plain COTS counter. Maybe I'm being too picky. But this will take up a large portion of the driver's side, so I want it to look nice. I was originally going with a cream color. But after working in photoshop for a while, I realize that will be too much yellowish brown in one area.
I have been thinking about my countertops (in my theoretical bus). I see in many of the high end conversions on TV they are using granite. You can get granite tile - fairly thin and not that heavy for $7-12 per square foot. They can be laid like other tile and can have grouted seems or be epoxied together for a nearly seemless look. I don't think I will have as long of a run, so it won't cost as much for me. In any case you could do a tile countertop. Some with a nice glazed smooth top can run as low as $0.78 per square foot.

Ed
edfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #188
Bus Nut

Might???? Want to look at the bath room counter tops......... They are only 21 inches deep vs 25 inches for the kitchen counter tops.
That would give you a few more inches of space in the walkway or double if you're doing both sides.......
just thinking out loud here..... plus the formica will last a life time and look good too......
Old 06-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #189
Bus Crazy

i bought a huge office desk that had a curved front to make my kitchen counter top. It has a formica finish. I think it was a work station to hold a computer, and so forth as it had 2 wing pieces and the back was 5' high. i think the desk was around 7' long and dont remember the depth, but i had to cut off some cause it was too wide. think it was like 10 bucks at the church sale.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #190
Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: intl loadstar 1653
Engine: D150 V8 diesel
Rated Cap: 48

On the counter tops, don't know if there's an IKEA near you, sometimes they sell discontinued tops for as low as $20.00 and they are easy to cut down. I used the cutoff as a backsplash on one job, looked REALLY good for $20.00
Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #191
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyEagle
Might???? Want to look at the bath room counter tops......... They are only 21 inches deep vs 25 inches for the kitchen counter tops...
You would want to use an RV sink rather than a standard kitchen sink. Countertops typically overhang the face of a cabinet not to mention backsplashes. and rear cabinet frame. You would need a sink that is not more than 19 inches front to back.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #192
Bus Nut

And.... the counter top is in! Woo Hoo. (more like, Whew!)

Wrangling a 10' counter by oneself is... um... challenging, to say the least!

Looking from Front to Back

Looking Back to Front

Wrangling 10' lengths of 2"x4" is an equal pain. And getting everything to line up properly, and level off evenly... aurg! This was another, "3rd time's the charm" job.

But it's done. It's installed. And it's worth it!

The silver bowl will be my sink. Right this second, the idea is to keep it sitting on top of the counter with a fancy faucet (i.e. brass spigot + copper piping) leading up to it. But I have always loved the under-sink installations because it is so easy to wipe up a mess and direct it into the sink. While the laminate countertop will not allow a true under-sink setup, the lip on the bowl is about a 1/4" wide, but only a 1/16" thick. I should have no problem wiping spills over the lip and into the bowl.

Of course, this is just the "get it done" installation. Like the couch, there's LOADS of extra detail I will add. Later. When I have time. After the trip. Right now, this was the last big piece of 'furniture' that had to be installed. Everything else is either detail work, or plumbing & electrical. But even if I don't get a chance to add my drawers and shelves under the cabinet, I can always use totes instead (which is the plan for the trip). This will allow me to gain a better understanding of what I will be using on a regular basis before committing to holding areas that may look "standard", but would not work for me.

My next big project for tomorrow will be swapping the window A/C unit out of the driver's side rear window and putting it in the passenger's side space. The driver's side will then be built to hold the hot water on demand unit.

<sigh> I'm tired! Off to sleep. Busy day tomorrow!
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #193
Skoolie

Year: 1979
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: intl loadstar 1653
Engine: D150 V8 diesel
Rated Cap: 48

WOW , looking good in there! Nice counter too
Old 06-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #194
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

Quote:
This was another, "3rd time's the charm" job.
That's what my mom said when I was born. My other two siblings heard that and tried to eliminate me throughout childhood.
Just kidding.
Seriously, I feel the excitement building about your upcoming long trip. I wish I could snap my chains and as Steve Zodiac says on Fireball XL5 "Go, Go, Go."
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #195
Bus Nut

Been a while since I've updated. Just been busy with "real life". But I HAVE gotten some things done.

I pulled out the glass window in the rear passenger's side, built an insulated wall, and switched the A/C from the driver's side window...

I cut out and fit a plug to frame the A/C on the outside, and bought some metal to make the final cover and drip-pan.

There is still finish work to do on the A/C wall, but at least the unit is moved and I now have space for the camp shower unit on the driver's side by the tub.

The latest project has been custom building a grey water tank. It's a project I've dreaded doing, but think the end result will work well enough until I can get the tailpipe relocated and fit a larger, square tank into the space.

I used foam core board for most of the shape, then added regular poster board for the tricky curved wall where the tailpipe is.

Looking forward. You can see how much space the pipe takes. What's strange is it's lower here than at the exit. I would think this would make it trap condensation at the low end and cause a rust spot in that area. Whatever.

The counter-weight in the back. The space I have to work with is 28" x 32". So the tank will be 26" x 30"... with various depths.

Making the first template piece. Depth at this point is 20".

Measuring for the tailpipe rise and length.

Making the most difficult section first. I used the grid on my kitchen floor to help maintain squareness in the tank.

Marking the score lines on the card stock. I should have used framing card stock to gain rigidity, but the poster board worked well enough.

Upside-down tank. Almost done here. The section on the left will be the only "regular" shape on this tank.

Right-side-up. The tape is where the tank template was fastened to the forward beam under the bus.

Last wall to go... I ran out of foam core and couldn't finish the tank this weekend like I'd hoped. Yesterday and today are consumed with my Mom's birthday (a good thing), so I won't get back to this until later this week.

Hopefully, a layer of epoxy will make this a good form for some fiberglass matting. If I build it up enough, it should be strong enough to function as a water tank for now.

Well... off to the birthday dinner with Mom. More later as I have time...
Old 06-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #196
Bus Nut

AND, in other good news...

My cousin finally had time to look at the bus, check the kingpins, the brakes, tires, etc. He said the kingpins were actually in good shape. It was probably the shocks that were bouncing the tires like crazy. So, new shocks and new tires all around. I think it will be money well spent to get the bus more stable going around curves. That, and I should probably slow down some
Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #197
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub

I think it will be money well spent to get the bus more stable going around curves. That, and I should probably slow down some
Speed is relative

Guys here at work say I drive like a grandpa(not yet I hope)....I am the only one w/o a speeding ticket tho

Doing great on the chariot by the way
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #198
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel

You are doing a very nice job on your bus. It seems to me that your air conditioner needs to be more towards the outside of the bus. Normally, only the front panel of the air conditioner is inside. The vents on the side of the cabinet are for letting the heat out.

There are many people who have put air conditioners back there. Usually they have to make a bracing system to hold it up.

It is nice to see all the pictures that you are posting.

OH, cool idea about making your own custom fitting fiberglass holding tank.

Great job.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #199
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
...It seems to me that your air conditioner needs to be more towards the outside of the bus. Normally, only the front panel of the air conditioner is inside. The vents on the side of the cabinet are for letting the heat out.
Yessir, you are correct!

But the only photo I had was of "before" the A/C was moved. That was when I'd been yanking and pulling and cursing at it because the silly thing kept catching on "something". I took a break and shot the photo, then went at it some more until I finally pried it loose. It is now installed it in the window on the left. I'll take an "after" picture eventually.

Thanks, everyone, for the compliments. It really does keep a body in motion when the urge to get out and work on the bus is lacking.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #200

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

You are doing a great job on the bus. Are you trying to show off your feet?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote