Okay, I won't retype my blog posts, but know you guys want pictures of the deck build. So here ya go:
Wood delivery right in the bus. I bought:
- 2 - 2x12 x 16 foot for sides[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 1 - x212 x 12 foot for 6 foot wide front & back[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 12 - 5/4x6 x 16 foot deck boards[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 4 - 2x4 x 12 foot joist boards to cut down to 6 foot width[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 18 joist hangers[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 4 - 8" corner braces[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 4 - corner caps[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 10 - 5" angle brackets for side supports[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 1 - 5lb box decking screws[/*:m:37gkffh6]
- 1 - 1lb box of 3" deck screws to secure joists[/*:m:37gkffh6]
How it's put together
My Mother helping... My Mom Rocks. Can you believe she's 64 years old???
I only hope I do as well as she is at her age.
Side supports screwed into the bus ribs.
Major end brackets that were bolted to the longitudinal roof supports.
Major bracket was bolted clean through the roof. Used Henry clear roof sealant under, over, around and at the ends to keep rain from getting under the bracket and causing leaks. While I did add the sealant to the nuts too, they are regular lock-nuts and shouldn't need it. I was just being paranoid.
Eyebolts were used to hold the major brackets to the wood.
Clean and shiny bus. We power washed it before patching the rusty spots on the roof, and of course, once you start washing something, it's hard to stop with just one dirty spot.
We discovered the deck will let water under the sides, so no worries with it pooling and causing rust-prone areas. Good news!
Staging the pre-cut deck boards on the side.
Cutting a hole for the light to poke through.
Next to the last board! We were ready for this to be DONE.
Mom putting the last few screws into the finished deck.
DONE! Truly a thing of beauty when a plan comes together. I am particularly proud of the way this came out.
I am OVER the heat. We worked pretty much non-stop for 3 1/2 days from Wednesday to Saturday. I had to work Thursday, so that was the half day. Friday I took a vacation day. Saturday we finished up around 5. It was not exactly difficult work, but it was hard because of the extreme heat. I had to take loads of breaks, drank gallon upon gallon of water and juice, and almost got sick Saturday morning from the accumulative affects of the heat. But we slowed down and got it done.
The truly amazing part to me is the bus drives so much better now that it has all that weight in the back once more. I was afraid it would be incredibly top-heavy. But it seems to have settled down and drives much smoother than before. Amazing.
I'm off to bed now. I slept most of the day, but am still pretty tired. Tomorrow the heat wave is supposed to break - go figure.
I'm still grateful to be in an office environment.
If you would like a detailed account of the build, head over to my blog. I think I have more photos here, but a better description there. No videos. We were too busy working. Glad to have it done. Now for the wiring and to finish the plumbing...