Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #261
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: 2012... The Year of Renewal

Look at the bright side. Number one, you learned a valuable lesson with minimal loss...number two...be happy you didn't learn that lesson at the Grand Canyon.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #262
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwarf36
Do something like have a phone cord style keychain-with one end to the key and the other clipped to the brake. That way, you HAVE to have your hand on it if you are gonna take your keys out.
That's a good point. I think I can come up with something like that. We'll see.

Today was something of a lesson in hurry up and wait.

The morning started out okay. I got up at my normal 5a.m. so I could play around with where to 'officially' install the awesome strip lighting I found at Costco several months ago. Using 409, followed by Windex, I cleaned almost the entire ceiling, and... OMG That was Disgusting! I had no idea there was still that much gack stuck up there. Once it was back to it's original bone white color, I marked & installed the light clips using the 3M sticky tape included with the package. Problem is... 409 and Windex leave some kind of residue behind. All but 2 of the clips stayed in place, dropping the light on the counter. It still works, but it was a definite lesson's learned. Use Alcohol on the areas that will use 3M tape. Bummer.

About 9:00, I drove the bus over to Mom's where we cut the wood for the deck railing (more like an overgrown edge than a real rail - but it will keep things from rolling off the edge). We got everything cut and were about to start pre-drilling when the sky finally decided to live up to its threats and started raining.
So we moved everything into her garage.
......Then the rain cleared up.
So we started to move stuff up onto the deck to install it.
......And it started to thunder and rain.
So I climbed back up onto the deck and grabbed the power tools and two pieces of lumber we'd thrown up earlier and decided to get lunch.
......Sky cleared up.
We went shopping for bus parts.
......It rained its ass off.
Got back to Mom's and decided to hell with it, I'm going to work on SOMETHING inside, so I replaced the metal screws holding the lock-catch in place with carriage bolts and lock-nuts.
......It continued to alternately rain and drizzle, but never quite stopped thundering, so I stayed inside and installed a latch on the doghouse to keep it from jumping open while going over bumps.

It was like that all day. I felt like I didn't get much of anything accomplished, and spent a whole lot of time doing it.

Oh well. There's always all day tomorrow to mess with stuff. Thank god for weekends
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #263
Bus Nut

Sorry to hear about your Saturday....... Sounds a lot like my day...
At least you've still got Sunday...... Is it raining yet?
Old 07-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #264
Bus Nut

Here’s a brief list of the minor chores that could be accomplished despite the rain:
  • deck rails cut, drilled & staged for installation[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • added clips to hold the windshield cleaner on the forward bulkhead[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • added a wooden side to the dog house enclosure[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • bought and installed a drink holder and “stuff” organizer on the doghouse[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • straightened up the tangled mess of electrical cords in the bus[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • permanently affixed one electrical strip to the rear of the bus[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • zip-tied another electrical cord to the cage wall[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • zip-tied a 20? box fan to the cage wall to blow the A/C towards the front of the bus[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • installed carriage bolts on the front door lock[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • added block stops to the shelving unit to keep the container bins from sliding off the shelf[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • installed the LED light strip on the driver’s side ceiling[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • started planning the kitchen area storage shelves[/*:m:37vryodp]
  • kitchen plan turned into a general “shelf” plan for the entire bus[/*:m:37vryodp]

Me... before the rain began (Woo Hoo! It's the weekend and we're gonna get stuff DONE!)

The rain starts... so we move into the garage.

And it doesn't seem so bad. We could probably get stuff done in the drizzle.

Um. Maybe not. No... nevermind. It's difficult to see, but there's 3"-4" standing water in the road.

So... what else can I do...

Organize the electrical cords and permanently attach the rear plug bank.

Install a 20" fan to push the cooler air from the rear of the bus forward where I'm working.

Install my light fixture... twice . Gotta remember to use alcohol to clean the residue left from Windex and 409!

Installed clips to hold my window washer above the front window.

Added a wall to the doghouse, bought a car organizer and cup holder, and attached the cup holder to the doghouse. The thing looks ugly now, but I'm working at making it better.

Added tabs to block the lids of the containers on the shelf under the counter. They swing sideways to allow the containers to be moved, but swing back down far enough to catch the lids. Now they can't slide off while traveling.

And added carriage bolts to the front door lock. It's ugly right now, but MUCH more secure!

AND, I picked up the "truck crane" from Northern Tool. That will be installed on the rear deck to load the scooter.

So, yeah, I did actually get stuff accomplished. But the big thing I really wanted to do was get the railing installed. Mom has limited time she can help, and it really is a two person job.

ANOTHER thing she noticed when following me down the road was the tires still don't look quite right. She said the inside tire looked like it was wobbling a bit, but couldn't swear to it because it was getting dark and the roads were all wet. We'll try again next week to tell if the shop did the job right. GRRRRRrr.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #265
Site Team

I really like the windshield washer mounting.

How hard is it going to be to check oils and coolant levelswith doghouse cover?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #266
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
How hard is it going to be to check oils and coolant levelswith doghouse cover?
The doghouse cover will remove easily by just taking out 2 screws. It's relatively lightweight, and the unit will be set on the couch while working on the engine. I still have to finish the front step area, which will be another storage space (I think). I may actually make it the housing for a satalite radio/mp3 player so I can reach the controls. Right now the radio is way above me on the front wall - uncomfortably out of reach to change volume or stations. I wouldn't dream of reaching for it while driving (which has been a source of irritation more than once).
Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #267
Site Team

We have been using our phones for music (we have unlimited data)we use Pandora app,and feed a small amp (50 watts) to the speakers,we use the volume on the phones to adjust system level, and if using a map app it will override the music and give turn by turn over the sound system
Works good
MP3's work the same way

stereo plug from the phone headphone jack,to an rca splitter to the amp input(or radio input)

That way we can charge phone and have it at our reach

Also I recently(this year) have gotten ride of sat. radio.
I had it for about 10 years and was tired of the limited coverage (trees,bulidings and mnts) and the increase in commercials

So we use Pandora and mp3's
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #268
Bus Crazy

looks like ya have been busy...
Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #269
Bus Nut

Bansil, can you tell me more about the phone, apps, and sound system? (what kind of stereo do you use?)

Work is so restrictive about the types of phones we can carry (no cameras) that I have a plain dial in & out only phone. It can be upgraded in mid-August, and am trying to decide just how many bells and whistles I need (and can afford) for the trip. I definitely want a phone that can double as a GPS, find gas stations with diesel and local attractions. But I never thought about using it for music.

Would a touch screen be okay, or too much hassle?
Big screen for the GPS side, but what other features?

I'm so clueless about the modern phones - I don't even text - any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #270
Site Team

If you get a smart phone, download an app called Gas Buddy. I've used it twice driving across country and it saved me a bunch of cash. Plus it will show you where stations are that have diesel.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote