Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #271
Site Team

Re: 2012... The Year of Renewal

Big question with lots of answers

I have a Samsung Epic(had for 2 years now and love it) it is android based and there are apps you can get for free or pay for(i haven't bought any yet)

as with anything that has a headphone jack,you can plug in a stereo plug(like head phones use) and use that as an audio input to various devices.

when working on the bus I use an old pair of powered computer speakers w/sub woofer and I just plug the lead into my phone or mp3 player headphone jack and can listen to what ever media is on it.

any car stereo that has audio inputs either a 1/8 plug or rca jack inputs can be used.(just need the right cable)i will take some pics of different setups we use if you want.

all of our vehicles have different setups.

offroad setup is a small speaker box with an amp mounted to it,I just plug in phone or mp3 player

wifes truck still has a factory tape deck so she just uses one of the tape adapters and then plugs that into phone or mp3 player

Gosh that's alot of rambling

most phones android or iphone can be used as navigation and music.

we have unlimited data on our phones so we use an app for pandora internet radio,it works really good(you need cell signal tho)

do you have a laptop?that can be used for navigation also,if you have builtin gps then you just need software such as microsoft street and trips(free 30 day trial) or DeLorme street atlas, they both have good and bad points.(if no gps then you need a "gps puck"

Check out expeditionportal-dot-com and look in the supporting equipment area and there is tons of reading on the subject.

We went with Delorme software so all the maps are downloaded onto the computer so we dont need service or wifi(most tablets need wifi to get map updates)

we are using dual screens so map is up on one screen and she can use the other screen to do what ever(like search for restaurants,camping etc while nav is still running)
the second screen is split with a y connector so I will have the map display in front of me...thank god the bus is 8ft wide or that many screens would be cramped

what do you want to acheive?
music(mp3's,cd's,dvd's)
nav(phone based,tom-tom type or laptop)
movies(laptop,dvd palyer or ?)
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #272
Site Team

first thing figure out what media you want to listen to

Then it's fairly simple

first you need a source for the music
like:
1)mp3 player(with head phone jack)
2)stereo
3)phone(with headphone jack)
4)laptop computer

second you need to amplify the sound
1)amp
2)stereo
3)portable sytem like a set of computer speakers

third you need some speakers to hear the media

In the bus while working I normally have my mp3 player or phone plugged into an old set of computer

speakers(this meets all 3 above criteria)

another option

is a car stereo with an aux input either on the front

or on the back

you will need a y-cable with rca jacks on one end and 1/8in stereo on the other end
I prefer the second option because you can have a flush type mount

I can plug this cable in

and then i can just plug all handheld devices into this port and have them on a 6 foot "leash"

another option is to take a car amplifier and use the line level inputs to your hand held device

this will allow you to control the volume with the device also just no bulky radio,this option is

handy when you want a portable speaker box w/amp mounted to the box(alot of offroad vehicles use

this)

When we use our android phones we plug the phones in to the stereo plug and we can listen to pandora

internet radio(when we have signal) and we can use the gps navigation at the same time,when the

voice commands sound(turn left etc)it will override the music and come out the speakers,when done it

will go back to music.

Since the radio is so far away in the bus,you can set the volume on your mp3/phone to say 3/4 volume

and then turn your radio up just past how loud you listen.at this point you can control your volume

by your handheld device and not have to worry about reaching up to the stereo

on a last note you can do and achieve all of this with just a laptop and use the line out on the audio card just like portable devices!!!!

I hope this gives you some ideas
Old 07-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #273
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I need a way to put all my DVD's on some sort of very compact storage device. I'm running out of room fast. I've got the little box over the windshield packed full with DVD's. We have a (temporary) shelf over the three windows closest to the drivers seat (roughly 7 ft) and it's filled with DVD's as well. My DVD player is dead (shipped it here from Socorro and the USPS killed it somehow). So I am thinking of replacing our $8 temporary TV with another flat screen that will accept a USB storage device. Copy all my DVD's to the USB storage devices using my computer (has a DVD/CD/ writer) using my Nero program. Unless I find a better way. I've got a few old VHS tapes that do not exist on DVD that I need to copy as well. A few DVDs don't take up much room but my collection has gotten so big it does. And I only keep the movies we watch repeatedly.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #274
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

bansil, thanks for the great reply. That's extremely helpful and gives me a couple of good ideas.

I have a laptop. I have an MP3 player. Sounds like I need to find my old computer speakers. Hmmm... I think I have that box in the other room...

Lorna, sounds like you need a little MP3 player. 16 or 32 gig should hold all of your music. I would definitely consider putting them all on your computer first, though, so it will be easy to sort and change out the music selection. I have a little 8 gig and that has more than enough space for my limited collection. But I also swap out a variety of music styles on a regular basis so nothing gets too stale.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #275
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
... Lorna, sounds like you need a little MP3 player. 16 or 32 gig should hold all of your music...
Not music.... Movies. I do need a little MP3 player to take to work. They play the same songs over and over. I need some bouncy stuff because when I listen to fast tempo music, I work faster.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #276
Site Team

Lorna,
They aren't cheap,but look at "solid state" hard drives multi terabits of storage availible and since they don't have moving parts they don't crash and break like normal hard drives.
Or buy abunch of thumb drives when on sale.
A lot of folks store maps and such on thumbdrives so the harddrive doesn't search as much
Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #277
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B-800
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 55

TygerCub,

How do you manage with the composting toilet? Do you line it with compostable trash bags/etc? If not, how do you clean them? How do you dispose of them? Does it smell up the interior, or do you use sawdust, peat, litter, etc to resolve that? Any ideas what you'd do if you were boondocking, where that stuff would go, if you couldn't dispose of them "properly"?

(I know it's a controversial issue, just curious)

Tomas
tomas_maly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #278
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas_maly
TygerCub,

How do you manage with the composting toilet? Do you line it with compostable trash bags/etc? If not, how do you clean them? How do you dispose of them? Does it smell up the interior, or do you use sawdust, peat, litter, etc to resolve that? Any ideas what you'd do if you were boondocking, where that stuff would go, if you couldn't dispose of them "properly"?

(I know it's a controversial issue, just curious)

Tomas
Oh wow. I haven't had a chance to test all that yet, but stay tuned. Starting August 30th, the kitty litter bucket will be my best friend for 3 weeks!

To partially answer your question, though, I plan to use plastic liners inside the bucket with kitty litter base to absorb moisture, and cover everything else with sawdust. Since I will also be traveling with my cat and dog, I have spare buckets that will travel with me where everything will be dumped and stored on the back deck with the scooter. Unless I run out of bucket space, I plan on toting everything back home with me where I'll dispose of it just like all the normal kitty litter is done.

Wish I had a better answer for you right now, but since I'm not living in it yet, I haven't experienced any of the problems.

5 weeks and counting!!!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #279
Bus Nut

Things I did today:
  • Got up at 5:00 A.M. to go look at a tank for sale on Craigslist[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Arrived a little too early - was overly conservative with travel time[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Discussed intended use with guy who said, "You don't want to use THIS tank for THAT. I gotta black tank still on the RV. Come take a look."[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Bought a black tank off a half demolished travel trailer (that was a little more demolished than when we started )[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Washed tank, evaluated dump valve, decided it was too brittle to use, removed & now have clean slate to work with[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Built a frame for my solar panels[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Ordered a ladder of my own so I don't have to borrow my Mom's every time I need to climb onto the roof[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Realized I'm broke[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Made the decision to be in debt again (for the first time in ages ) to finish the damned bus [/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Bought supplies to 'hang' the lights instead of relying on "permanent" adhesive tape[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Re-hung the lights on the bottom edge of the shelves over the counter top[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Started to re-work the shelves [/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Realized I was making way too many mistakes because it was now 11:30 P.M. and stopped before I destroyed something[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Woke back up after the shower[/*:m:7ayrjyy9]
  • Typed this in hopes it would help me sleep. [/*:m:7ayrjyy9]

I think I can finally go to sleep now.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #280
Bus Nut

totally reworked the shelves today. Added more to the "kitchen" space. Then added the last shelf (from the pack) in the bathroom area.

One day I'll actually take the time to process all my photos and videos. Can't seem to find a minute to do it. And when I have a minute, I'm usually falling asleep .