Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #292
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: 2012... The Year of Renewal

kitty litter, stumps, and/or scooters. Yep, the crane will lift them all!

While I was at work today, Dave and his brother worked all day getting the black tank secured under the bus. Bless their hearts! I appreciate the help - I wouldn't have had the tools to fabricate the brackets like they did. I'll post pics later.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #293
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
kitty litter, stumps, and/or scooters. Yep, the crane will lift them all!

While I was at work today, Dave and his brother worked all day getting the black tank secured under the bus. Bless their hearts! I appreciate the help - I wouldn't have had the tools to fabricate the brackets like they did. I'll post pics later.
Don't what or how Dave & brother secured the tank but you should place something flat on top of the brackets to keep the weight points spread out over the entire tank bottom and not just the brackets.
Hope it's not to late......
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #294
Bus Nut

The tank is resting on 2 rails of angle iron, much like it was on the original travel trailer.

The guys had to weld brackets to hold the treaded rod that will allow me to raise and lower the tank so I can hook up the plumbing.
The thin straps are temporary zip-ties to hold the light tank in place while I got it home. The thing is wedged in pretty well, but I didn't want to take a chance on it bouncing sideways and dropping out. I will be adding a threaded bar across the front and back that will allow me to "pinch" the two sides together to ensure it doesn't go anywhere.

Here's a couple of shots of the exhaust we redirected over the weekend.

The run from over the rear axle to past the deck.

This is the flexible pipe I ordered to make up the curve. The flex pipe wasn't as 'flexible' as I expected, but it worked in the long run.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #295
Bus Crazy

i have a black water and one grey water tank that came out of a 5th wheel.. and look like yours.. all that held these two tanks in in the frame of it were a piece of angle on each side, sorta like your pic.. no straps whatever, and it was 20 yrs old... two other tanks i use, were under a monico motor home and all they had was a strap on each side going across the bottom. fwiw
all 5 of my tanks are now resting of the compartment floor...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #296
Bus Nut

Looks good, nice job on the tanks, Looks like it won't be going anywhere....
Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #297
Bus Nut

Not much accomplished today. I did fix the "oops" from yesterday's shelf build (I made the shelf 1 1/2" too short). So now there are shelves over the couch. Last two wire shelves will go over the bed in the back. Shouldn't take long to install those (only 3 times longer than I expect).

After fixing the shelves, Mom came over to help install the solar panels on the roof rack. Unfortunately, we discovered one of the panels was cracked!
After some debate, took both boxes back to Harbor Freight and got my money back. I've read online there are better kits for RV application.
I'm looking at the following:The only thing that worries me is getting it shipped to the house within the next week.
Otherwise, I'll use battery powered lanterns and plug into campground juice.

While out, I did take back the fancy folding ladder I'd ordered from Sam's Club. It was really well built... but way too heavy to handle at the end of a long day. Mom found an aluminum one just like it at Costco that weighed a fraction of the Sam's Club version. So now I have a nice light ladder to climb onto the deck... and nothing to put up there yet.

At least the back of the bus is cleaned out a little more. Between the two boxes of solar panels, the truck crane, a gas-less welding machine, and 4 ladders (2 of Mom's regular ladders, 1 I bought from Sam's, + 1 step ladder to climb out the back), it was rather difficult to walk through to the back.

But it's all good. Tomorrow is Friday and I get to run up to the RV store to buy a regular dump valve and fitting.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #298
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Tank looks like it will work out fine and nice work on the exhaust pipe as well. Sounds like your getting excited to take the bus out.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #299
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

Tygercub, you have many talents. I am enjoying watching the progress on your bus.

Is that a Harley in your garage?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #300
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerCub
The tank is resting on 2 rails of angle iron, much like it was on the original travel trailer.

The guys had to weld brackets to hold the threaded rod that will allow me to raise and lower the tank so I can hook up the plumbing.
You need to protect the bottom of the tank with a thick piece of plywood. You don't want something thrown up from the road to put a hole in your polyethelyne tank. They are almost impossible to repair. Also a thick piece of foamboard to keep the road heat from cooking the tank dry.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote