Old 03-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: 2012... The Year of Renewal

I would guess that a water indicator light means that your water seperator bowl has water in it. That would be on the bottom of a fuel filter/strainer can. Should be a petcock on the bowl bottom to open and drain the water. At least it's that way on Racor units. You probaby will need to change fuel filters soon, something one should always be prepared to do with a diesel. On my bus there is a Racor strainer/filter with a water seperator under the bus, and downstream from the fuel tank. The fuel is then pumped and goes through the engine mounted fuel filters, and then to the injection pump.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Thanks Bus-Bro. Would you happen to have a picture of what you're talking about so I know what I'm looking for in the engine compartment? There's MUCH I have yet to learn.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #33
Bus Nut

I'm having trouble posting a picture, so how about a link: http://www.parker.com/portal/site/PA...LTRATION&Wtky=

Something like one of those pictured is what I'm talking about. On my bus it's under the bus between the fuel tank and engine. Hope that helps.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

u can also use the zmax for diesels... a bit spendy but good.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #35
Site Team

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72

Does it come on for a few seconds and then go out? or is it on steady? If it only comes on for a few seconds it is probably just doing a bulb check.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

i get that water warning light all the time to.. new filter and it still does it.. gonna get some that diesel 911 if i get daily driving it for a bit or a trip etc.

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Typically, water accumulates in a bowl under the filter, and when there is enough of it the water allows electrical current to pass between the probes and activate the alarm light via a relay, similar to your typical RV water tank level sensors. There is a petcock on the bottom of the bowl to drain the water. Changing the fuel filters does not drain the water. You could also have a defective alarm circuit.

On my bus the water seperator is under the bus and out of sight between the fuel tank, and fuel pump. The filter above the water seperator is more of a glorified strainer. The actual spin-on fuel filter is on the engine, and after the fuel pump, no water drain there. I've seen Racor filter units in later model buses mounted in the engine compartment.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #38
Bus Crazy

mine hath a racor
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #39
Bus Nut

I looked under the bus this morning before leaving for the RV show and spotted a couple of things that look like filters, but somehow doubt they are the filters I'm looking for...

These don't appear to have any relief valves under them to release water from the filter.

I'll get out and look again tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Went to an RV show and then shopping today. Not much at the RV show that was worth looking at except this one display right outside the entrance:

I've never seen a system where you can pay only as you use it. The prices are reasonable. I may just buy the tailgater and use it at the house!

After that totally uninspiring waste of $9, I went shopping. I needed to get some oil for the hole saw so I could install the dead bolt, and then got a bit distracted... Home Depot has Baer paint that will supposedly work on metal, and can be custom tinted. The bus is already blue, but I would like something a little more sedated.

I didn't pick up any paint yet, but grabbed these samples to mull over. I'm thinking I may use the bottom square as the predominant color with the darker blue on the left on rub rails, and the light blue as accents, and the gold as decorative scrollwork in the darker blue panels.

A couple of my more successful finds were these:

LED lights that are modular - they can be linked in either straight runs, or with 90 degree elbows. I really like these. They are fairly bright and should work great as ambient lighting if I put them in an alcove.

I also scored big time on this:

Solar panel kits that were on sale at Harbor Freight for $150 each. Considering Northern Tool had a 60 watt kit for sale for $300, I think I did pretty good getting 90 watts for the same price.

... more ...