So... for the past couple of days after tearing out the small steel panel in the rear of the bus, I decided to start working on making window blanks. The previous owner gave me three sheets of metal to use as blanks - two solid pieces, and one perforated that will be great as a vent. I cut the first two, primed, painted, and glued some 1/4" plywood to the back, and ... ran out of weekend to work.
This afternoon, I went to the junk yard and picked up one last piece of metal for the third window. Got three quarters of it cut before the cutting wheel ran out
. Drove back to Lowes, picked up 3 more wheels, some gasket material, and 1? angle brackets to help hold the blank in place.
After finishing the last cut on the steel, I decided I better fit at least one window into place before it got too dark. Unfortunately, the 1? angle brackets were too large
. I figured they might be, but Lowes didnít have any of the smaller items in stock. Tomorrow Iíll go to Home Depot and see what they have.
The gasket material was a last-minute addition. There was gasket material behind the original windows, but it was removed while cleaning the window ledges. I decided to add new gaskets because the vertical posts are more of a shallow U shape than flat. Left without a gasket, the metal blank wouldnít fit very well and would probably leak at the first rain. I will end up caulking around the edges outside, but thereís no reason not to err on the side of caution.
I had just enough time to cut a piece of foam and fit everything in place before I ran out of light. Wish I had thought to take a picture from the outside (doh!). Iíll do that tomorrow.
In the mean time, I leave you with a pretty cool reflection of the moon in the door window.