Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #141
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: 2012... The Year of Renewal

Bucket liners! I think you can buy them in the grocery stores, etc. They are often called "trash can liners" or "trash bags". They would have to charge more if they called them "humanure collection device liners".

Think I'm kidding...

A "factory made" toilet is $225
10 pk/ 13 gallon liners are $4.69

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #142
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Bucket liners! I think you can buy them in the grocery stores, etc. They are often called "trash can liners" or "trash bags". They would have to charge more if they called them "humanure collection device liners".

Think I'm kidding...

A "factory made" toilet is $225
10 pk/ 13 gallon liners are $4.69
Depends are running about $4.69 per package. Anyone know how many come in a package?..... or was that each?
Talk about convenient........... anywhere you are you can just go!!!! no bucket needed...... oops..
smile
Old 05-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #143
Bus Crazy

thats a fancy toilet you got there

you sure got this conversion a rolling!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #144
Skoolie

Free unsolicited advice

When attaching wood to wood use carpenter's glue (the yellow one) because it penetrates into the fibers and makes a stronger joint. This does not happen with Liquid Nails.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #145
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipopak
When attaching wood to wood use carpenter's glue (the yellow one) because it penetrates into the fibers and makes a stronger joint. This does not happen with Liquid Nails.
Thanks for the advice. What about Gorilla Glue? I used that on the bed frame and liked how instantly it seemed to adhere (which is also what I like about the liquid nails). Don't know about longevity, though. As a precaution, any glued surface should probably also be screwed to ensure it won't come apart.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #146
Bus Geek

I've used Gorilla Glue on several wood projects. I've also dismantled a few of the projects. The wood breaks before the glue joint fails. IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (dampen wood, apply, put together, pull apart for a few seconds, then put back together again, let dry). Down side to Gorilla Glue is that it makes a nasty mess that you can't hardly get off your hands (I wear nitrile gloves when I mess with the stuff now). It's also good if gluing up exterior projects. for interior uses... we prefer to use the yellow "wood" glue. We have also used a lot of liquid nails and PL brand adhesives (PL has an adhesive --- 500 or 600 -- that is rated the same as Sikaflex.... I don't remember the ASTI test #.... if interested, look it up in the data sheets). PERSONALLY I like PL adhesives... David likes LQ. LQ gives me a headache at times. LQ will EAT the foam house sheathing unless you get the stuff that specifically says it's for foam board. I believe most of the PL will as well.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #147
Skoolie

I have not used the Gorilla just because of all the steps. Laziness won, I guess.
If you can glue+screw or glue +wood dowel is a lot better than just glue.
BTW carpenter's glue (or yellow glue) is available in interior or exterior flavors. I use the exterior everywhere.
Liquid nails is great for different non-porous materials.
pipopak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #148
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Gorilla Glue...

Pros: Strongest type (Urethane)
100% Water Proof (Approved for "below waterline use" on boats)
Expanding (fills voids)
Works well on dissimilar materials)

Cons: Stains skin black & doesn't come off until new skin replaces it (Always wear gloves)
Expanding (Joints must be clamped or screwed together until cured)
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #149
Bus Nut

Well, I went ahead and bought some flooring this morning before work. It was the Allure Ultra Vintage Oak Cinnamon from Home Depot. Hopefully it will be available for pickup when I get off.

It was more than I wanted to spend on flooring, but I guess durability in a school bus out trumps my cheap tendencies. I KNOW water will get inside. I also know those laminate products that look so good on the showroom floor can be warped beyond saving if water gets between the boards and expands the particle board. <sigh> I'd rather just spend the money now than have to spend both money and effort trying to tear something out and replace it later.

I'm also hoping the Triton HWOD is here by the time I get home. Received an email yesterday saying it was shipped and today was the estimated delivery date. I'm excited about getting both products and making up for lost time this weekend (helped Mom sand her floors so they could be refinished).

Anyone ever use either of these products in their bus already? If you do, do you like them?
Old 05-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #150
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

If it is a "tankless/instant" type water heater, be sure it is rated/vented for interior use. Several are available and work great, but are for "outdoor use only" or absolutely must be properly vented to avoid annoying stuff like dying.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #151
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
If it is a "tankless/instant" type water heater, be sure it is rated/vented for interior use. Several are available and work great, but are for "outdoor use only" or absolutely must be properly vented to avoid annoying stuff like dying.
This is an "outdoor" model, but will be vented out the window. I didn't see any that were rated for indoor use that didn't cost less than $500.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #152
Bus Geek

Our experience with a specific brand of tankless. Haven't used any other.

We use an Eccotemp L5 LP outdoor vented tankless water heater in the food cart. It's not vented outside yet. Puts off a lot of heat.... keeps the uninsulated cart toasty warm in the winter. Filter incoming water with a sediment filter as a minimum (everyone should be using a sediment filter). You need a good strong water flow (faucet turned fully open) to kick the burner on. The water system on the cart uses a Shurflo 2088 (2,8gpm?) pump. I'm pretty sure it's a 2.8. If we had to replace the pump, we would replace with a 3gpm. Sometimes it does not kick the burner on and the faucet has to be turned off then turned right back on. I do not know if it is the water pressure, the fact the cart bounces down the road twice a day, altitude (3670 ft) or the peculiarities of either our particular water heater or tankless in general. I have read they are temperamental when it comes to altitudes over 3000 ft. David made an "executive decision" and we will not be using a tankless water heater (there goes any idea of a two hour long shower, darn it ). Based on our particular needs and lifestyle (current and anticipated future) we will be installing an electric (20 gallon) water heater for domestic water with a 3 gpm Shurflo 2088. I also intend on installing a top load washing machine and a dishwasher. We need the 3gpm and a reliable water heater. But remember, that is what we have decided is best for us. Our lifestyle and intended use of the bus is very different than many on this forum. It will not be a weekend playtoy. It is our home 24/7/365. That makes a big difference in what & how various appliances/material are chosen.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #153
Bus Nut

...<GRRRRRRR>...

Just got in from trying to install the "Allure Ultima" flooring. I've used the normal Allure before and really liked the ease of installation. When it went together, it was TOGETHER. There was no doubt it would not shift or move since it literally glued itself together. Sure it was a pain in that you had to be perfectly aligned and it was next to impossible to correct if you dropped it in place wrong. But my hallway floor is virtually seamless.

Not this "ultima" stuff... It is supposed to be waterproof, which is why I picked it over the regular stuff, which is only water resistant. But I'll be damned if I believe the "ultima" is waterproof. The boards themselves probably are waterproof, but the seams sure aren't!!! What's the point of having a waterproof board if the water leaks between the seams and gets to the floor beneath??? None of it seems to be lining up correctly, or leaving 1/16" gaps between the planks.

Maybe I just need to take a break for a while. This is really annoying me too much.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #154
Bus Geek

Armstrong 12in x 12in Commercial Vinyl Tile (45-Pack)

Waterproof and durable. Easy to install. Survived 10+ years in a pop-up that was only in dirt/gravel campgrounds. Held up to 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 large dog & 1 cat. Only swept and mopped. Never waxed. Still looked great when we sold the pop-up. No loose tiles either. This is what we will be using. And it's fairly cheap.

We've looked at many of the flooring choices and feel this stuff is the best. Not the fanciest but really durable. I will cover it with throw rugs any way (throw rug - cheap rug that you throw away and replace with another cheap rug when it gets stained).
Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #155
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

I've installed a lot of that armstrong tile. It's good stuff - the color goes all the way through so you'd have to wear all the way through before it's trashed.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #156
Bus Nut

How well does it handle slightly uneven surfaces? and is it easy to cut?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:04 AM   #157
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

It is easy to cut and install, I used it in my shop. However it does crack if the underlayment is uneven at the seams.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #158
Bus Crazy

it is good tile, but as mentioned, needs perfect underlayment if ya wanna have no cracks..
reminds me i have a few boxes of that stuff sitting around, not to mention 10 or so unopened boxes outside in the weeds somewhere of ceramic tile that i bought...
Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #159
Bus Nut

I ended up taking the Allure Ultra back this week. After looking and pondering a bit longer, I decided to change tactics and purchased some of this:

TrafficMaster Allure 12 in. x 36 in. Ashlar Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring

This is the stuff that glues itself into one large monolithic sheet. I got about 3 rows installed tonight and think it will be just fine. When I have time I'll take some photos to post.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #160
Bus Nut

Was feeling in a funny mood, so I pulled up my Netflix queue and found "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". Brilliantly brain-dead movie made just to pay tribute to the Beatle's wonderful music. Loved it. Was just the frivolous sort of thing to end the evening.

I was surprised to see an awesome skoolie in it, though. Anyone remember this?

Maybe next year when I have more time, I'll add something like that to the top of my Beast.