Even though it was still raining a little this morning, I decided to go ahead and try to back the bus out of the current muck. This would give me enough room to drag the tire platforms into place so I could finish the build (they're too heavy for me otherwise).
The bus cranked right up sweet as could be! And he backed up pretty nicely too. I felt super optimistic and got right to work finishing the platforms.
A couple of hours later I was done. The boards were in place, the rain was holding off a bit longer, and I was ready to move the bus into place.
First attempt... not so good. I kept getting stuck at the rut in the driveway. Backing the bus up once more, I climbed out and threw another block of cement in the mud, then tried again, going a bit faster this time. The beast moved forward confidently... then slid sideways a bit... I about had a heart attack as the house loomed inches from the driver's window... then we settled back into the rut... and STOPPED.
Crawling out, I looked at where we landed. The bus actually made it over the first platform with no problem. But when the rear wheel hit that stupid rut, the front tires just didn't have the traction on the wet wood to keep moving forward and we stopped cold. I tried rocking it out of the rut once, but it was a no-go. We were SO Close! Only 10 foot more would have put it right where I wanted it.
But it's all good. The bus is much farther in the "side-yard" and I now have plenty of space to park my truck in the driveway too.
And that's enough adventure for one day!