Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #361
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
That's a pretty good accomplishment. One that you'll really appreciate this time of year.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #362
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
For your AC.
I think I remember you saying the Pioneers were 12,000 BTu each. But I don't remember the length/size of your bus.
Are your new indoor units ductless?
the install instructions shoul/might have standard construction dimension for recommended area coverage for your specific units.
And if you do decide to sell any of it I would like first dibs and even though I ain't keen on the roof top option I will take it off your hands if you decide to sell it.
A square footage,idea of your floor plan and intended location's of your indoor units along with how many of the window openings are going to be covered will help us figure out if you really need/would be nice in certain temps to add the roof top unit.
But with the spray foam you just cut down a lot on your needed HVAC.
Little info from you that I probably missed? But I don't recall seeing an actual bus length/passenger count,window count etc..
Good luck and your headin in the right direction from the start.
Next is electrical.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #363
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
For your AC.

I think I remember you saying the Pioneers were 12,000 BTu each. But I don't remember the length/size of your bus.

Are your new indoor units ductless?

the install instructions shoul/might have standard construction dimension for recommended area coverage for your specific units.

And if you do decide to sell any of it I would like first dibs and even though I ain't keen on the roof top option I will take it off your hands if you decide to sell it.

A square footage,idea of your floor plan and intended location's of your indoor units along with how many of the window openings are going to be covered will help us figure out if you really need/would be nice in certain temps to add the roof top unit.

But with the spray foam you just cut down a lot on your needed HVAC.

Little info from you that I probably missed? But I don't recall seeing an actual bus length/passenger count,window count etc..

Good luck and your headin in the right direction from the start.

Next is electrical.

Yes they are 12k BTU units, in residential settings I think they are supposed to handle 5-600 sq/ft, but it seems that in busses people say that isn't even close to valid. It is a 36' pusher. The splits are duct less. Planning to keep all windows, but will have insulated window treatments. Rear bedrooms, mid kitchen and front living room. I think the bus about 260 Sq ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:10 PM   #364
Bus Crazy

All the masking is paying off.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #365
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
REAL NICE foam job!
Congrats, its coming along nicely!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #366
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
You are going to LOVE spray foam!!!!!

I'm adoring the spray foam in my bus. No more than 10 minutes with a space heater and I'm in my skivvies (but we won't post any pics of that horror story huh? )..........
Old 12-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #367
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
That foam job is first class. It is so even.

Remember: Just because masking tape behaves today, does not mean it ill behave tomorrow. But you already move plenty fast. You probably have it framed already.

Congrats on the foam- NOW it's an official skoolie.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #368
Bus Crazy

Some before and after of the foam. I finally have the bus back home now and they finished cleaning everything up.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #369
Bus Crazy

On another topic my bus seems to shudder pretty badly right around 35 miles an hour it it's a little hard to describe but it sort of shakes and shudders. Does fine at other speeds but it's a little bit worrisome and I wonder if anybody has any thoughts as to what it might be.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:07 PM   #370
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
On another topic my bus seems to shudder pretty badly right around 35 miles an hour it it's a little hard to describe but it sort of shakes and shudders. Does fine at other speeds but it's a little bit worrisome and I wonder if anybody has any thoughts as to what it might be.

In Jeep - World we call that: Death Wobble

It is a harmonic imbalance that can be caused by worn components: shocks, bushings, tie rods or even tires. Alignment plays a role.

When you feel the jiggle coming on, you can veer left and right in your lane to put a little tension on the components to isolate. Inspect.

You will want to address as it will wear your pricey tires.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #371
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Can also be attributable to imbalance in the driveshaft. Some have been balanced with weight (like tires) which can and do sometimes come off. If so, the harmonics of the imbalance are usually within a limited speed range. So, if the tires and front end seems OK, you might check there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #372
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Can also be attributable to imbalance in the driveshaft. Some have been balanced with weight (like tires) which can and do sometimes come off. If so, the harmonics of the imbalance are usually within a limited speed range. So, if the tires and front end seems OK, you might check there.
Absolutely- esp on a car. We used to put them on jack stands and give 'em a rev to see the wobble. A bit tougher w/ a bus.

Isolation is key.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #373
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I've owned several Jeep Cherokee's and wworked significantlyon their suspension systems. I'm pretty familiar with death wobble and its causes, but I don't think that this is coming from the front end I think it is either drive shaft or transmission related. I need to drive it a little bit more but I think it may have something to do with the particular gear that its in as I pass through that speed range. When it happens there's sort of a groaning sound as well that's hard to describe.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #374
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yes they are 12k BTU units, in residential settings I think they are supposed to handle 5-600 sq/ft, but it seems that in busses people say that isn't even close to valid. It is a 36' pusher. The splits are duct less. Planning to keep all windows, but will have insulated window treatments. Rear bedrooms, mid kitchen and front living room. I think the bus about 260 Sq ft.

With two of them and the insulation that you have done with window covers I think you should be fine.
If one is dedicated to the rear bedrooms? When the door is closed blocking its flow into the mid area you might need a small box fan to help circulate the air from the front one.
If that is your set up?
And I am not sure about the pioneer brand?
Then pay attention to the remote control placement because on some brands the remote acts like the thermostat so you don't want it mounted on the wall directly in front of the air flow from the unit but you do want it hanging on the wall and not laying on the bed or something like that.
For the rear bedroom unit. If you have a door then you will want that remote in the bed area behind the door.
Another biggie for some brands with the remote control.
If the remote leaves the room it loses signal with the unit and the unit will shut down. Same thing if you have it around the corner on a wall to keep it out of the airflow, it could lose contact and the unit work while your standing there with the remote in front of it just fine but a few minutes after you hang the remote up in its bracket around the corner it quits working. But that's because it lost contact.
Basically keep the remote insight of the unit and don't Lose it.
I would hang on to the roof top unit until you get to put your pioneers through there paces in the deep winter or full summer.
You might want to add it in the kitchen area for when cooking in the summer.
In commercial HVAC it actually takes more to heat a building than it does to cool a building.
Good luck,be safe and have fun.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:45 PM   #375
Traveling

Quote:
I think it is either drive shaft or transmission related. I need to drive it a little bit more but I think it may have something to do with the particular gear that its in as I pass through that speed range. When it happens there's sort of a groaning sound as well that's hard to describe.
Might even be able to rig-up a go-pro under there to better capture sound or see what it is.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:07 PM   #376
Bus Geek

I also had a slight wobble in my front end(steering wheel ) and watched my shop do a full DOT inspection of all linkage and everything passed with no question's asked. I dropped it off and let them do it in there own time this year and didn't offer anything as a problem but I have been there and watched them and there procedures every year since I have been taking it there.
Even though everything passed DOT my tires were just before aging out.
No flat spot on the tires cause I used it for Boy Scouts almost weekly? But a new set of steer tires solved the wobble between 35-40 for me?
Good luck
Old 12-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #377
Bus Geek

Sorry I shut my finger up for a minute and caught up to your post?
A drive haft issue could be and probably is a carrier bearing issue.
Even if the rubber looks good doesn't meen the bearing isn't going?
Just a thought
Old 12-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #378
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I also had a slight wobble in my front end(steering wheel ) and watched my shop do a full DOT inspection of all linkage and everything passed with no question's asked. I dropped it off and let them do it in there own time this year and didn't offer anything as a problem but I have been there and watched them and there procedures every year since I have been taking it there.

Even though everything passed DOT my tires were just before aging out.

No flat spot on the tires cause I used it for Boy Scouts almost weekly? But a new set of steer tires solved the wobble between 35-40 for me?

Good luck

I'll take a look. I probably can fit a camera up under there. Since it's a rear engine configuration I'm not sure that the driveshaft is long enough to need a carrier bearing but you're right that the symptoms do you sound similar to the carrier bearing problem I had on a pick up that used to own.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #379
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
If an RE, not likely to be the driveshaft but it could be engine related. Have you checked the motor mounts? Is there a harmonic balance on the motor?

Just tossing out random thoughts.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #380
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If an RE, not likely to be the driveshaft but it could be engine related. Have you checked the motor mounts? Is there a harmonic balance on the motor?

Just tossing out random thoughts.

Unfortunately I think that this is likely. I went out and drove it a little bit more and it actually drove much better I think because it was more fully warmed up. It seems that in the cold weather and when it hasn't been driven for a while that it runs stronger on some cylinders than others until it's really good and warmed up.