Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

We'll try calling them, Progressive basically shot us down saying that they don't do school bus conversions, I talked to someone at GMAC but they wanted almost 300 for 6 months...that's a lot to pay for something that's gonna sit in our backyard for a year and not be driven!
jtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Through state farm mine is $11.28 / mo. for full coverage.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, that's incredibly low! Did you tell them that it's a school bus conversion or did you just let them assume that it was a regular bus conversion? I don't understand why there would be a difference but apparently Progressive believes that school bus conversions are more of a risk than they are willing to take
Old 04-24-2007, 04:59 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
They know that it is converted and I told them I would be using it for camping. I do get a discount for having my house and my other cars insured with them, but I'm not sure how much that really affected the price. Oh and I am over 25, I see you are 23.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

well, actually 20...the bus is 23 years old that's why the myspace page says that...lol

I will defnitely be giving them a call tomorrow

Do you have any experience dealing with Detroit Diesels? and Alison Transmissions? I know ALison's are some of the best transmissions made but the engine worries me a little I've never heard of a Detroit Diesel before...but then again I didnt' know you could buy a used school bus and turn it into an RV until last week
Old 04-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #16
Almost There

I could not get State Farm to touch it until the conversion is done and it is a "Motorhome." Though my agent could not describe what a "motorhome" is by their definition.

That seems high for GMAC, I got mine through there for $300 for the year. But being young hurts you there I guess.

I have that engine in my bus and it gets about 10 MPG and my bus has a 35-gallon tank, so plan on stopping every 300 miles for diesel and a bill around $100 per stop.

It holds 3.5 gallons of oil, I just replaced mine. Takes 2 oil filters and 1 fuel filter, all readily available, I used Napa Gold filters ($6 per oil and $11 for the fuel filter). At least on my bus, a freaking mechanical engineering genius designed it because the drain pan is located directly over the front suspension bar and my 5-gallon bucket would not fit under there to collect the oil.

Also filling it was a pain, I suggest getting a nice funnel with a rubber hose for filling it and it being a 2-person job. I bought my Rotella T 15W-40 diesel oil in a 5-gallon ($50 for the 5 gallons) container and then used a 1-gallon milk jug to measure out and pour the 3.5 gallons into the engine. Again Napa sells the oil, but I got mine at Tractor Supply Company since they were a little cheaper.

After looking over the engine I found a sticker on it saying not to take it above 2900 RPM, which in my bus means not much over 60 MPH. Getting it past 60 requires a nice down-hill with a tail-wind though.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

10 mpg would be fantastic! The previous owner said he got over 8.5 mpg while pulling a PT Cruiser on a dolly

For those of you who didn't look at the pictures on our page it has somewhat been converted, it has a bathroom(porter potty), bedroom, fridge, electricity

it lacks water, stove, and unfortunately it's still titled as a bus...so the trip home is gonna be somewhat of a risk...(praying we dont' get pulled over) seeing as that neither of the drivers will have a CDL
Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
Almost There

Oh I forgot, if you come through the Buffalo, NY area you can swing by here for the night, and we can even do a quick oil change...I live about 30 miles south of the I-90 exit about 15 miles east of the Buffalo Airport.

Also Darien Lake Amusement Park (formerly owned by Six Flags) is off that same exit, and they have camp grounds there.

I suggest investing the $300 or $400 for a nice GPS unit with all the maps and stuff. Especially if you plan to try and meet up with people in the different states.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Surprisingly age doesn't affect insurance rates on RVs according to my State Farm agent. The actuarials just don't show us as having more accidents than the older generation. Maybe it's because not many of us drive RVs and maybe it's because Grandpa in his 20 ton death machine is just as dangerous as any 16 year old.

An alternative to the GPS that works really well if one of you owns a laptop is Microsuck's Streets and Trips software and GPS package. You will need a bluetooth enabled PC as far as I know, but that's not a big deal. Dongles are cheap if it isn't integrated. The catch? While the receiver worked great in my truck, it had to be in a very specific location in the bus to work properly...something about vertical windows and lots of steel I would imagine.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

we'll have GPS enabled phones with us, and hopefully a broadband wireless internet laptop by the time we hit the road. But we plan on definitely mapquesting every little detail before we start, we've done it twice now, refining the stops each time.

As someone mentioned earlier our estimates are a little high for campgrounds for the night, but when you factor in that there will be 8 people in this bus (which normally causes the rates to go up), and we won't be doing anystopping at Wal-Mart, some of the girls refuse to go a day without a shower...lol...I think it is a pretty fair estimate. Plus, it's always better to guess to high, than to guess to low and run out of money!