Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiskuit View Post
I am planning on turning them into high beams.
You don't want to do that!!! Not with the original bulbs anyway. Maybe some LEDs. I made all four fronts into turn signals. The rears were parking lights. The original fuse for the flashers is a 15A. When I blew that, I replaced it with a 20A. That one would hold once in awhile and blow once in awhile. Replaced with a 25A fuse. That one held... even after the fuse body melted. I didn't know it was melting but it smelled like something wasn't kosher. I was driving to the inspection at the time so I was just hoping it would hold and not catch on fire.

I've since replaced them all with 1156 bulbs. Still drawing some current but the 15A fuse holds now so I'm good.

Thought I had a picture of the fuse body but I don't. They are slow blow fuses and it was right at 25A so it didn't pop even melted.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:48 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
You might want to check the laws in your region before wiring them up as high-beams. In Ontario driving lights can only be a certain height above the ground. I put clear lenses on my flashes and wired them on a separate switch as off-road lights, or flood lights when parked.
That's here in the states too. They wouldn't work as high beams while driving anyway. Walk around with a lantern held up high and you'll walk into a tree!!! It's only good for horror movies.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Oh, one more note: the flasher lights with a clear lense cast far too much light onto the hood. This makes your eyes adjust so that it's very difficult to see into the darkness ahead... The easiest fix would be to take the shades that are typically above the lights and mount them below the lights. You might need to play with the shade to get the light to cast right where you want it (just past the hood).
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh, one more note: the flasher lights with a clear lense cast far too much light onto the hood. This makes your eyes adjust so that it's very difficult to see into the darkness ahead... The easiest fix would be to take the shades that are typically above the lights and mount them below the lights. You might need to play with the shade to get the light to cast right where you want it (just past the hood).
Upside down eyebrows?!! No way!! Not to mention the water problems.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #65
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You might want to check the laws in your region before wiring them up as high-beams. In Ontario driving lights can only be a certain height above the ground. I put clear lenses on my flashes and wired them on a separate switch as off-road lights, or flood lights when parked.

Thats exactly how I was planning on doing it. I was going to have a separate switch for the front set, and a separate switch back set. I was reading a jeep forum the other night where they were talking about having to use separate switches or cover them up so they didnt accidentally flash anyone.

So I guess technically they arent going to be high beams as much as spot lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iBiskuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You don't want to do that!!! Not with the original bulbs anyway. Maybe some LEDs. I made all four fronts into turn signals. The rears were parking lights. The original fuse for the flashers is a 15A. When I blew that, I replaced it with a 20A. That one would hold once in awhile and blow once in awhile. Replaced with a 25A fuse. That one held... even after the fuse body melted. I didn't know it was melting but it smelled like something wasn't kosher. I was driving to the inspection at the time so I was just hoping it would hold and not catch on fire.

I've since replaced them all with 1156 bulbs. Still drawing some current but the 15A fuse holds now so I'm good.

Thought I had a picture of the fuse body but I don't. They are slow blow fuses and it was right at 25A so it didn't pop even melted.

Sounds like some serious trial and error! Such is life 🤦🏼*♂️ That is good to know what bulbs you changed to as well as fuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iBiskuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:00 AM   #67
Bus Geek

Quote:
That's exactly how I was planning on doing it. I was going to have a separate switch for the front set, and a separate switch back set. I was reading a jeep forum the other night where they were talking about having to use separate switches or cover them up so they didn't accidentally flash anyone.

So I guess technically they aren't going to be high beams as much as spot lights.
Also fairly typical. There are some federal laws as well as state laws even if some states don't enforce them regularly.

Quote:
Sounds like some serious trial and error! Such is life 🤦🏼*♂️ That is good to know what bulbs you changed to as well as fuses.
It's generally a bad idea to replace fuses with almost double the size but I figured the wire was big enough. Nothing caught fire but won't be doing that again.

If you go ahead with the "fog" lights with the existing bulbs; run new wire and throw a fuse inline somewhere. The fuse block has 30A fuses in it but the whole damn thing got hot with the 25A so I don't trust it much. I'll leave the 30s alone but if I do anything that big again, I'll do inline.

If you do LEDs you should be fine; they don't draw as much current. I should have done this. And I may still. The 1156 bulb can be had in LED. Damn thing looks like a Xmas tree.

These bulbs are terrible at directing light so I wouldn't use them if you want true lighting. I'd be replacing the 1156s that are literally taped to the little plastic strip that is the backing for the big OEM bulbs. One of these days, I'll get back up there and replace them with proper mounting plates or fab something. But as they are only backups to the other existing lights, it ain't real high on the priority list.

If you go with true headlight bulbs, you'll need proper ballasts, wiring, etc. if you go with the hyper white/bright stuff.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 AM   #68
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Most states require solid covers over any white lamps that high up. And DO NOT get caught driving with them on the highway. It is an easy bust for even a sleepy Highway patrolman.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote