Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

6 Window Blue Bird Off the Grid Conversion

Hi all! This project has been a long time coming.

I have been looking for a type b shorty since about the first of the year. Originally I was looking at getting a M35A2 and building an off the grid tiny home on the back. Realized I needed I more sqft and easier parts access so I turned to the skoolie approach and realized a 6 window type b was what I was needing/wanting.

Plan on having a minimum of 4 100w solar panels tied to a battery bank for my electricity. Ive seen a few slick ways of making rain gutters on vehicles for a rain collection system. Going to find the best idea that fits my bus and run it into a 100 gal water tank. I also bought a cubic mini wood stove for my heat.

Now for the actual bus. I found as close as I could to my unicorn. Well actually I lied. Brad from the forum on here found them in WV and brought the information to me. Thank goodness because I was having no luck finding what I was looking for. I ended up purchasing the 2001 International Blue Bird T444E with 216K miles off Public Surplus last week for $2500. Her name is Margo and she purrs like a newborn kitten.

I drove it back home last Friday night and have been working nonstop on gutting this thing so i can build some momentum. (btw I hate rivets)

I would like to have this completed in a couple months. I have absolutely no idea how long this project is going to take realistically but I am working full time on this bus until it is completed so we will see how quickly I can learn on the fly. I just keep my head down and go from one task to the next. Every step of this build will be a learning experience. I am not an mechanic, electrician nor am I a carpenter but I know my way around a machine shop and tools and I enjoy getting my hands dirty. I intend to head out west once it is finished and begin chasing good snow as winter settles in.

As usual, with every build, I began with cutting the seats. The bolts and nuts were not going to come apart so I just saved myself the headache and began cutting and grinding right away.

Next came the walls. I went to the passenger side first and then went after the driver side panels. I just want to say I hate rivets and so do my hands. I am glad I do not have a bus any bigger because I have gotten myself into enough work as it is. Surprisingly or unsurprisingly, there were several sections under the windows that had no insulation at all. Some panels did and some did not. Not sure where they thought a random piece of insulation here and there might do some justice. Haha what do I know.

Then came the ceiling. I grinded, hammered, and chiseled so many rivets that I was seeing them in my sleep! I am a one man band currently so taking everything a part took a bit longer than I wanted but I am coming along at it. Those ceiling panels are heavier than they look! I was smart about leaving one rivet on each side until the very end but being by myself those panels usually came down right on top of me after gave it a slight tug to pull away from the remainder of the rivets. Insulation fell down on top of me as well. Fun times! Did I mention I hate rivets!

Definitely enjoying this process thus far but it is only going to be up hill battle from here on out. I am now to the point where I am taking apart the dash, driver seat, and pulling up the floor. Tomorrow I go and begin learning about these rat nests of wires. Probably going to pull it all out and put everything fresh in. By no means will I be able to tackle this in a single day but I plan to make good head way this weekend. I am OCD so this cluster **** stresses me out. Not to mention half of these wires are bad when they disabled all the gizmos and gadgets.

I am beginning this topic now because I am far enough along where I can ask for some help and put it to action right away. I am curious about the heater on the left side of the driver seat. I want to pull that thing out completely...(i think) I am putting in a mini cubic wood stove for my primary source of heat and carrying around a small electric one if need be.

Now my question is two parts....Is it that difficult to take out that heater? Im pretty sure the engine coolant runs through those hose lines but other than that, what kind of issues will I face and can I install a small unit just for defrosting my windshield?

Another issue I currently have on my plate is my driver seat. I was able to unbolt the actual seat no problem but it sat on this metal frame that has an air ride bag in the center and it also allows for height adjustment. Issue is the frame is bolted down and I have no good way of accessing those bolts to be able to grind off and I had no luck on breaking the nuts loose. I will take a picture tomorrow to better explain what I am trying to say. The smallest things can be so defeating!

Tomorrow brings a new day!

Any pointers, critiques, and thoughts are welcome. I am very green to this skoolie world but I have the enthusiasm and eagerness to learn. All I ask is you guys be gentle and patient with me as I grow into skoolie masters such as yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iBiskuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:47 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Cool to see someone finally get that bus. I've been a bidder on it SO MANY TIMES!!!
I would have bought one, but got a good deal on a Colorado shorty.
congats on the bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:25 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Great looking bus!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Cool to see someone finally get that bus. I've been a bidder on it SO MANY TIMES!!!
I would have bought one, but got a good deal on a Colorado shorty.
congats on the bus!

Thanks EastCoast! I got pretty excited when I saw it. Has most of the features I was looking for! Love that its a 5 speed as well!

Old 07-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
Great looking bus!

Thanks Dog Rescuer! I really like the overall stance of this bus. Looks tough as it sits right now before any modifications to it. Also love the shorter wheel base. Only 24' from bumper to bumper with 15' from behind the drivers seat to the back wall! Shouldnt have too many issues getting around.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone have a good way of getting rid of these boogers? 8 boogers in total. I had no luck with the impact gun and basically stripped the nut of one of these in the process. Some of these bolts do not look accessible from underneath...

Old 07-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
thats almost like my bird!! congrats!.. thats an ice looking bus, looks to be in great shape too!!!

so yes you can yankl the heaters out.. but if you plan to drive much in the cold then you will definitely be hat gloves, ice scraper on the inside and shivering.. you cant burn a wood stove while on the road.. and a small electric heater might warm up your pinkie finger on the road..

that heater is also your defroster as well.. unless you are using that space for something other than driving, than im not sure why so many want to yank that unit out.. the ones to yank out are the mid-ship and rear heaters.. and you can even yank the right side heater and make storage space under the dash..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Regarding heaters on a shortbus..

Mine came from Miami so it had dual AC but the heat didn't work.

This was fine for a while, until we left Florida.

I had to dive in and figure out why the heat didn't work somewhere around Missouri. No heat also means no defrost.

Now I have dual AC and good heat.. Well, once the engine warms up, which really only happens on the highway.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Hey Christopher! Thanks for the input. I am in love with the look of this bus and it does seem to be in pretty good shape. I expected more wear and tear after running it in the WV hills for 15 years.

After playing with the electrical the past two days (still not done) and doing some reading, I am doing basically what you mentioned. Main reason being defrost. I did not like any of the other solutions for the people that ripped their heaters out. I am keeping my main heater to the left of the drivers seat. I am looking at removing the rear one today after I find a good video that shows cutting and looping the hoses. It does not seem that complicated but I always like to watch people do things once or twice before I dive right in. I am also glad you said something about that right side heater. I wasnt sure if I could rip that out separately or not but I was definitely eyeing to get rid of it.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post

I had to dive in and figure out why the heat didn't work somewhere around Missouri. No heat also means no defrost.

Now I have dual AC and good heat.. Well, once the engine warms up, which really only happens on the highway.

the 444E should warm up in town.. I know on mine I put a new thermostat in when I replaced my air compressor, and that thermnostat only lasted a couple months then stuck OPEN about 1/3 of the way so the bus never warmed up till i got on the highway..

befoire that it would warm up if driving in town but barely when it was idling until i enabled the automatic warm-up protection in the computer and it runs the idle speed to make sure the bus stays warm.
-Christopher
Old 07-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
the 444E should warm up in town.. I know on mine I put a new thermostat in when I replaced my air compressor, and that thermnostat only lasted a couple months then stuck OPEN about 1/3 of the way so the bus never warmed up till i got on the highway..

befoire that it would warm up if driving in town but barely when it was idling until i enabled the automatic warm-up protection in the computer and it runs the idle speed to make sure the bus stays warm.
-Christopher
Indeed it's possible my thermostat doesn't work, the bus seems like the temp gauge is corrected to the speedometer sometimes. Since entering Colorado it's running a few degrees warmer than normal, too...
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
Bus Geek

when i was driving in 0 degree weather i needed ALL the heaters in my bus to stay warm.. but the right side heater on the later bluebirds only heats the door-well ..(a HUGE source of cold air) so if you are going to insulate and seal up your doorway better then you can ditch that unit.. the heaters are typically in series.. so bypassing the right side heater is done under the hood.. you can see the lines loop from the engine to the right heater then loop from right to left... you can take the right heater out of the loop and run a line directly from the left over to the engine.

chances are your hester lines from the driver heater come out and go to a pump then go back to the rear.. you can disconnect from the heater in the front and remove the pump box and all.. you dont need it.. then take a piece of hose and loop the 2 pipes together.. be sure all your underhood valves are off and you'll still flood your bus with coolant.. theres several gallons in those heater loops.
-Christopher
Old 07-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
I bought #206 (this one's identical sibling; I wouldn't be surprised if they had sequential VIN's) and have yet to pick it up. I want and need to do that this week.

Questions!

How'd it run on the way home? Any problems on the trip? How fast will it go? (I'm driving mine to GA and hope it'll run faster than 50 ...) I never found out if the rear suspension is spring or air ride ... How's the tires?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post

You know, I technically never tested them to see if they put out any heat on my drive home. Of course now that we are into July, if this thing just blew room temp, that would feel like heat. Haha. I will have to test it when I finish taking care of the wiring and I hook my batteries back up.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
I bought #206 (this one's identical sibling; I wouldn't be surprised if they had sequential VIN's) and have yet to pick it up. I want and need to do that this week.

Questions!

How'd it run on the way home? Any problems on the trip? How fast will it go? (I'm driving mine to GA and hope it'll run faster than 50 ...) I never found out if the rear suspension is spring or air ride ... How's the tires?

Hey Brad! It ran very good the entire way. Not one hiccup thank goodness! My only issue was that it did not want to go into 1st gear right outta the gate. Seemed like I had to throw her into 1st gear the first couple times. Seems to be okay right now though. Other than that, she drove and felt great. I was worried the entire way, not to mention, it was the same day we got all those strong storms from that Tropical Storm Cindy or whatever her name was with a bunch of flash floods.

I was cruising at roughly 65 mph according to my gps. They said there was a governor on it so I figured it was set there. Speedometer didnt read properly so I will be fixing that eventually.

Tires are in great shape and the rear suspension is air ride.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
when i was driving in 0 degree weather i needed ALL the heaters in my bus to stay warm.. but the right side heater on the later bluebirds only heats the door-well ..(a HUGE source of cold air) so if you are going to insulate and seal up your doorway better then you can ditch that unit.. the heaters are typically in series.. so bypassing the right side heater is done under the hood.. you can see the lines loop from the engine to the right heater then loop from right to left... you can take the right heater out of the loop and run a line directly from the left over to the engine.

chances are your hester lines from the driver heater come out and go to a pump then go back to the rear.. you can disconnect from the heater in the front and remove the pump box and all.. you dont need it.. then take a piece of hose and loop the 2 pipes together.. be sure all your underhood valves are off and you'll still flood your bus with coolant.. theres several gallons in those heater loops.
-Christopher

I am replacing the door with an actual door with a solid deadbolt. I like the idea of keeping the accordion door for nostalgia purposes but I saw on my drive home how much on space there was all around it. I am going to have to replace the first step because water just kept coming in from all the rain and it kept pooling up in the corner. I realized then that it was probably going to need to be replaced. After I got home, I checked, and that is the worst spot on the bus as far as rust goes.

I hope you are reading the Brad. You might need to examine for first step. I forgot to mention that in the earlier post.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Brad my red is another one just like this, and only thing is watch your temperature. Many of them are Factory limited to 62 by computer, at 62 if your fan clutch is weak you will run hot, don't over temp it.
235 is alarm bells ring and bad things can happen. 220 is as hot as I ever want to see a 444, it may derate on you as you go above 216 depending on the software rev.

Your 545 will max the rpm easily , I ran mine for close to 10k miles at 65-70 before my 545 started acting up,
Biscuit,
Not going into first is a valve body issue, change the fluid and filter on the transmission and check the shift linkage adjustment. My 545 was failing to go into first at the end .. there is a video of mine in this forum. Valve body issues can often be helped by fluid and internal as well as spin on filter change. If the shifting is wonky fix it as the 545 struggles with low line pressure anyway ..
Christopher
Old 07-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Biscuit,
Not going into first is a valve body issue, change the fluid and filter on the transmission and check the shift linkage adjustment. My 545 was failing to go into first at the end .. there is a video of mine in this forum. Valve body issues can often be helped by fluid and internal as well as spin on filter change. If the shifting is wonky fix it as the 545 struggles with low line pressure anyway ..
Christopher

Good to know!! I will add it to my to do list

Old 07-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Removing the rear heater

I definitely did not want to lose the front heaters / defrost... but the rear one was in the way.

I looked at a lot of videos - but ended up looping the lines under the driver side heater. All I needed was an extra hose clamp. It seems better to send the coolant right back out of the Driver's side heater - rather than having another loop.

I am not sure this will help... but it might give you an idea.

If you need any clarification - just ask!

- Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBiskuit View Post
Hey Christopher! Thanks for the input. I am in love with the look of this bus and it does seem to be in pretty good shape. I expected more wear and tear after running it in the WV hills for 15 years.

After playing with the electrical the past two days (still not done) and doing some reading, I am doing basically what you mentioned. Main reason being defrost. I did not like any of the other solutions for the people that ripped their heaters out. I am keeping my main heater to the left of the drivers seat. I am looking at removing the rear one today after I find a good video that shows cutting and looping the hoses. It does not seem that complicated but I always like to watch people do things once or twice before I dive right in. I am also glad you said something about that right side heater. I wasnt sure if I could rip that out separately or not but I was definitely eyeing to get rid of it.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post

Questions!

When I asked the school they said screaming at top speed the buses would touch 55. The main reason I didn't bid on em any higher than I did.
I can't wait to see these shorties put to new use!!!
I really did bid on them every time they were listed for the last year or two.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote