Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
Hank's P-O-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MB
Posts: 275
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
'69 Chev POS

I am buying a 1969 chevy school bus that has allready converted to an rv. unfortunatly, i did not rember to take pictures when i was looking at it.
It has a chevy 327 motor in it, the interior is not too bad and the outside was white at some point. unfortunatly, the bus has some rust but thats no big deal anything from centeral Canada will be rusty after 10 or so years.
I think that I will install some solar panels and inverter (on hand), weld my crappy old generator to the back, and give it a funky paintjob. Its from the '60s so i figgure its gotta have a phychedellic paint jod and beceause its from '69 its gonna of course be named "69" *wink, wink.
One last thing, hopefully, at some point, ill find a modern diesel engine i can swap in. (not looking forward to 4 MPG)

Any tips or tricks you would reccomend?
__________________
"...Baler twine tie downs goin' down the road
On two bald tires and an oversize load..."
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 58
Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 60
Re: '69 Chev POS

I have a 79 Chevy Im converting. Im just getting started on my conversion. Lots of great info on this forum. Post lots of pics.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central MN
Posts: 141
Year: 1977
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: C/60
Engine: 350 V8
Rated Cap: 54
Re: '69 Chev POS

Welcome to the madness. I get nearish low 7's with my 350. These old busses are built like tanks and if it's survived Canada for 45 years, it's got to have another 45 in it yet !!
__________________
Passes everything but gas stations.
bamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 58
Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 60
Re: '69 Chev POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamper
Welcome to the madness. I get nearish low 7's with my 350. These old busses are built like tanks and if it's survived Canada for 45 years, it's got to have another 45 in it yet !!
I like you attitude about these old Chevy Busses. These old Chevys are getting hard to come by.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Hank's P-O-S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MB
Posts: 275
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Re: '69 Chev POS

Know of any Diesel engines that are relitevly compatible with the chev 327?
The reason is I have a 6000 mile road trip planned for 3 years from now, and I cannot imagine the price of gas then.
This is going to be my so "npr" burn bus.

Ps. 6000 is round trip.
__________________
"...Baler twine tie downs goin' down the road
On two bald tires and an oversize load..."
Hank's P-O-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 58
Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 60
Re: '69 Chev POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank's P-O-S
Know of any Diesel engines that are relitevly compatible with the chev 327?
The reason is I have a 6000 mile road trip planned for 3 years from now, and I cannot imagine the price of gas then.
This is going to be my so "npr" burn bus.

Ps. 6000 is round trip.
I would actually consider a diesel engine for my bus to replace the 366 big block gas drinker I have, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. I think I would like to have a Cat Engine just not sure about all the wiring, and plumbing to hook up?
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maryland / Boulder
Posts: 342
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126b Rotella-Chugger
Rated Cap: 72
Re: '69 Chev POS

NO you do NOT want a CAT, trust me. I am in the middle of CAT hell right now, I just dropped $300 on bolts and gaskets for the exhaust / turbo. If you are swapping motors, I would look at a Cummins 5.9 "6bt" or 8.3 liter (like the 5.9 just bigger). They are all-mechanical and require very little wiring to operate. A good used one will run you a few grand.

The one issue that comes to mind when doing a gas-to-diesel swap is, in that old of a bus the trans (if its auto) is most likely vacuum-modulated, non-electronic. Therefore you'd have to do a trans swap cause diesels don't generate vaccum like gas engines, and the trans from the gasser would not be able to handle the torque. So that would make any sort of motor swap a lot more $.

I have heard of guys buying old bread trucks at auction with 4bt cummins engines and 5 speeds, taking out the engine and trans and scrapping the rest of the truck (mostly aluminum) and damn near breaking even. Just a thought.
porkchopsandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 58
Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Rated Cap: 60
Re: '69 Chev POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchopsandwiches
NO you do NOT want a CAT, trust me. I am in the middle of CAT hell right now, I just dropped $300 on bolts and gaskets for the exhaust / turbo. If you are swapping motors, I would look at a Cummins 5.9 "6bt" or 8.3 liter (like the 5.9 just bigger). They are all-mechanical and require very little wiring to operate. A good used one will run you a few grand.

The one issue that comes to mind when doing a gas-to-diesel swap is, in that old of a bus the trans (if its auto) is most likely vacuum-modulated, non-electronic. Therefore you'd have to do a trans swap cause diesels don't generate vaccum like gas engines, and the trans from the gasser would not be able to handle the torque. So that would make any sort of motor swap a lot more $.

I have heard of guys buying old bread trucks at auction with 4bt cummins engines and 5 speeds, taking out the engine and trans and scrapping the rest of the truck (mostly aluminum) and damn near breaking even. Just a thought.
Great advice. And yes might as well swap trannys too.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1985 Chev Bluebird Micro Bird Bus skybluefreeway Short-Bus Conversion Projects 7 05-24-2012 12:30 PM
1990 Chev/Wayne bus question EdsonBus Conversion General Discussions 4 09-03-2007 03:07 PM
1980 Chev school bus conversion motorhome Steve Classifieds | Buy, Sell, Swap 0 01-08-2004 09:07 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.