Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Best tool I've found for bending stock car sheetmetal is another stock car.

I feel your pain...I've done the bending with brute force before and it's not fun. Atleast the nibblers held out for the most part and you had the dremel. Inevitably I can never find my cutoff wheels or the arbor for my dremel and end up using my angle grinder (most over used and misused tool in my collection) which makes a real mess of things.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:43 AM   #22
Bus Geek

as a side note, i cut almost all of my alluminum diamondplate with a cordless dewalt circular saw using the stock carbide tipped blade. Works wonderfully. Alluminum can be hard to cut with other tools, has a habbit of gumming up sawz-all blades.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International Loadstar 1803
Engine: IH 392 gas V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Best tool I've found for bending stock car sheetmetal is another stock car.
Ain't that the truth! As soon as the cars roll back in the drive we ask, "How bad is it? How much needs to be fixed by next weekend?" This track doubles as a demo derby!
jterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Last year I got it out of the way early...we were changing the gears in the driveway and the car rolled forward as we were taking it off the jackstands. No need to worry about scratching and denting those quarter panels on opening night....it was already done for us.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:56 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I made pretty good progress this weekend. I finished the patches in both of the back corners. I recycled galvanized out of the scrap heater that was still running down the side wall, straightened out the edges, removed the old plywood, sprayed all exposed edges with rustoleum and riveted the new corners in place. The previous owner had patched a broken window with sheet metal but did not seal it or rivet it in so we removed both back windows and replaced the metal. By cutting the rubber seal on the outside the windows tipped in and came out easily. I applied silicone before riveting it in. I also temporarily patched the holes left from missing upper lights. I hope to replace the lights but did not want to continue any damage from the raining in. We stripped off the old wooden platform skeleton that was left on the roof and made sure there wasn't any issues hiding on the roof. Looks good and solid. Weather permitting we will be painting the roof soon. I started putting up some window tint. I am really happy with it. It is a heat resistant platinum film. Bought it at Lowe's for $46 per 4'x15' roll. We really wanted a dark tint but the heat resistant was more important. We are in the sunshine state We are beginning the framing for the bed. We are building a storage area underneath it with the platform on hinges. Our first fifth wheel had that and it helped alot with storage. It will be alot taller and will have access from the back door as well. I posted a few new pics showing the progress. http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...17_3_.jpg.html
Old 07-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Re: '75 INT Loadstar- our first skoolie project

Hi Everyone! Haven't posted in a while. Between the heat and the rain work has been slow. Thanks to a fellow skoolie we have new doors! I have to cut a bit off the bottom but they work great and were easy to install. The back four windows on each side are finally skinned and insulated. The rest of the vinyl floor is installed. The captains bed is built and waiting for paneling. The closet is framed in and also waiting for paneling. Walls are beginning to go up and we're nearly ready to run the wiring along the side walls. We changed the floorplan a bit. Only the bathroom area has been changed so far. We separated the toilet closet and shower area and now will enter the bed in the center instead of off to the side. Things have been going pretty well.
http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/main...avId=x7cc4fb0d
I am so thankful for this site. There is truly a wealth of knowledge here.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:24 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Our skoolie days are coming to an end : (

It looks as though our owning a completed skoolie will not be happening for awhile. Just when building begins we have decided to move up to Ohio to help my dad after his open heart surgery. Family comes first. We will be selling our bus before we go. We've been offered $2000 from a watermelon grower but it's gonna be hard to let it go to someone who doesn't see the potential it has as a conversion. We have a little time to sell, hope to be in Ohio by first part of November so we can beat the snow.(maybe)
It has it's quirks and needs TLC but it is very reliable. It takes just one try to start everytime no matter how long we leave it sit. It'll be a sad day to see it go. This board is great, the knowledge here is awesome. Thank you everyone. There WILL be another skoolie in the future, and I will be back when the next bus arrives.