Old 09-19-2006, 12:31 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Did you buy one of the old Texas A&M busses? It sure looks alot like the One that I played with for a while.

Do yourself a BIG favor, and REALLY check out the seals on it. The one I bought, they had smashed copious quantities of silicone in the pinion shaft seal to stop a leak.

Also be VERY watchful of your revs. Those old 555T engines that they used, will literally rev till the blow, due to the school removing all of the shims for the fuel pump governor.

Those old busses are in very solid shape chassis wise, but it was a real eye opener on some of their, what shall we call, "methods" of upkeep.

I was shocked when the guy who bought my bus called me, and told me about some of the stuff he found.

I miss my skoolie, but I needed to have a running coach much more quickly than I would have had "ol smoky" on the road.
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:29 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Yeah, Wolfman, it's from Texas A&M and mine is #32. Old Smokey sure seems like an apt name for it, but the smoke does seem to clear within the first five minutes of running. That would indicate to me that it's oil leaking into the cylinders when it sits. I'm no mechanic, though.

The slipping was caused by no fluid in the transmission to speak of and that was fixed by clamping a bit of heater hose around the hole in the dip stick tube. The only other prolific leak it seems to have is on the rear-end up by one of the springs. I'm thinking overfilled with a bad axle seal, but I've been keeping busy with the interior and probably won't look at this in depth until travel season next year.

Overall, I'm very pleased with her, but yes... i've found a lot to suggest they were kept on the road by someone named 'Bubba'.
w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1bmw
, but the smoke does seem to clear within the first five minutes of running. That would indicate to me that it's oil leaking into the cylinders when it sits. I'm no mechanic, though.
a lot of older diesels smoke for a few minutes when they first start up, especially when it's cold outside. I think it is generally caused by incomplete burning of the diesel fuel in the cylinders when cold. Diesel fuel does NOT burn well in a cold engine. I used to work at the General Motors proving grounds, and when it was down in the teens and they fired up their big truck car haulers they would smoke like a destroyer for the first few minutes, and they were nearly brand new.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Told ya I wasn't a mechanic! I can fix your database, though
w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote