Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #41
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,942
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you have the older style dash with the round gauge face instead of the square?

I was surprised to find that my 91 has a backlit dash cluster already which is cool its nice greenish color which is perferct so i wont rebuild that.. though I may put LED's into the slots.. and add a Trans temp gauge.

im also going to use 2812's for the switch panel.. im building a new switch panel that will have backlighting instead of the over-lighting.. esp since I want to relabel some of the switches that I repurpose the slots for..

the chassis to body connector has been the culprit of several of my minor electrical issues.. your backup lights will go through that so if you have good continuity on your trans and the wire isnt busted off, thats the next place to try.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #42
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 651
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Thanks for the replies.
My single wire back up lights are 3-1/4" With an 1--1/2" hole behind it And my old flashers are 7" with a 5" hole behind them.
I have been debating buying a cheap led that would be a test candidate as far as trying to make a multi-pin work with a single wire body ground system.
My reverse light problem was the reverse light pressure switch on the right/passenger side of my 545. I jumped the two wires and was able to make them work but it is a pressure switch so make sure your parking brake and wheel chocks are in place if you don't have helping looking at them working or not
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #43
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you have the older style dash with the round gauge face instead of the square?
Yeah, I got the dash with the round gauge openings and mechanical speedometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Thanks for the replies.
My single wire back up lights are 3-1/4" With an 1--1/2" hole behind it And my old flashers are 7" with a 5" hole behind them.
I have been debating buying a cheap led that would be a test candidate as far as trying to make a multi-pin work with a single wire body ground system.
My reverse light problem was the reverse light pressure switch on the right/passenger side of my 545. I jumped the two wires and was able to make them work but it is a pressure switch so make sure your parking brake and wheel chocks are in place if you don't have helping looking at them working or not
With a 5" hole, best bet is to stick with the 7" lights as I did ... even though my holes were considerably smaller. My body-to-frame ground seemed OK, as many other lights worked.

So, the back-up switch on a 545 is pressure activated? Meaning the engine has to actually be running to build up pressure in the trans?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #44
Skoolie
 
juliol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Monrovia California
Posts: 120
Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ive got some plastic black wheels that take off the adhesives and nastiness without harming the paint if tyou are easy on it..

-Christopher
Hey cadillackid, can you provide more information on the plastic black wheels?

J
juliol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #45
Bus Nut
 
Jolly Roger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: North carolina
Posts: 651
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
My 86-545 switch is pressure and when looking for one it seemed like a fairly common item.
The switch is in the normally open position until pressure hits it then it closes the circuit.
If you just want to jump the wires without the switch then i would think that you just need the key on and not running.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:12 AM   #46
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Well, I put some fresh lights in the dash and stuck it back in place. Fiddled around with the connections to get things working again. I don't care for these mylar-backing sheets. Fired it up, checked the outside lights. Oil pressure and temperature looked good. RPM's showed up. Fuel half full. Voltage not reading ... I'll look into it later. Stuck the temp tag on it. Released the brake. Down the road I went. Tranny shifted out all four gears as it should. Speed reading zero. Derp! Forgot to put the speedo cable back in. Came back and did that. Dragged the bumper coming back into the lot. Pulled the exhaust pipe loose from the u-bend over the axle. Also bent the "step" below the bumper. Both fairly easy fixes.

It drove out well enough but a speed demon it ain't. Might do better once the old fuel is driven out and fresh is put in. I was faintly smelling "fuel" as I was driving, hard to tell if it was "burnt" fuel or "fresh" fuel (or some mix of the 2), tried to observe for black/grey smoke as I was going but it was hard to see if there was any. Maybe it's just the stale fuel and will improve with fresh fuel? Once I re-attach the exhaust, that is. I'll check the plumbing on the engine too. Could have a leaking return line or something.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #47
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,942
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
always feels good to get out and run it though!!!

International and GM both used Mylar dash-circuit boards and a PAIN they are.. you Can retrofit the newer style dash cluster to your bus if yours gives you pains.. you change your speed cable to a screw on sensor and retrofit the connectors.. everything else is really similar.. you gain a bit better connections and also back-lighting..

My carpenter had 10R22.5 tires on it, when I got new ones I went up to 11R22.5's which is good for a few MPH if you are just plain running out of gears to reach top speed..

run out your fuel then change both your main fuel filter and your water separator if you have one.. After you put a fresh tank of fuel in..

is your driver console heater unit a disaster like mine is? I tore into mine yesterday and its amazing my heater core doesnt leak.. lots of bent fins and nicked tubes where someone over the years changing motors has messed it up.. all of my motors run but squeal and rub... just wondered if yours is a bergstrom and its a mess too?

I get a little bit of a fuel smell from mine too but for the life of me cant find a leak... my neighbor told me last night it may be one of the high pressure lines right at an injector seeping.. run the engine, then climb up and look at those fittings right after its shut off and then give the nut a bit of a tug if its seeping.. those fittings are notorious on many mechanical diesels.. they are pushing 1000+ PSI. yours are probably similar..

sucks about the exhaust but if it came off that easy, better it happened in your yard and not in the middle of the night on some rainy freeway in the middle of nowhere!..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:48 AM   #48
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
always feels good to get out and run it though!!!
Yes. Yes it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
International and GM both used Mylar dash-circuit boards and a PAIN they are.. you Can retrofit the newer style dash cluster to your bus if yours gives you pains.. you change your speed cable to a screw on sensor and retrofit the connectors.. everything else is really similar.. you gain a bit better connections and also back-lighting..
If I'm going to go to all the trouble to rework the dash, I'm going for independent gauges. I can snag a chunk of aluminum to bolt 'em to. Isspro, Auto Meter, or ... something. The changing of the speedo to an electronic sensor is quite appealing, as some (many? All?) aftermarket speedo's can be calibrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
My carpenter had 10R22.5 tires on it, when I got new ones I went up to 11R22.5's which is good for a few MPH if you are just plain running out of gears to reach top speed..
I'll probably swap out the 20's for 22.5's when I get around to replacing drive tires and wheels ... front is already on 22.5 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
run out your fuel then change both your main fuel filter and your water separator if you have one.. After you put a fresh tank of fuel in..
It has 2 filters on top of the engine. Different sizes/numbers. One probably does serve as the water separator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
is your driver console heater unit a disaster like mine is? I tore into mine yesterday and its amazing my heater core doesnt leak.. lots of bent fins and nicked tubes where someone over the years changing motors has messed it up.. all of my motors run but squeal and rub... just wondered if yours is a bergstrom and its a mess too?
I haven't opened mine up yet. From what I can see on top of the core, it's dusty and needs a cleaning, but that's all I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I get a little bit of a fuel smell from mine too but for the life of me cant find a leak... my neighbor told me last night it may be one of the high pressure lines right at an injector seeping.. run the engine, then climb up and look at those fittings right after its shut off and then give the nut a bit of a tug if its seeping.. those fittings are notorious on many mechanical diesels.. they are pushing 1000+ PSI. yours are probably similar.
That wouldn't surprise me. No idea if any of the o-rings have ever been replaced (assuming it has o-rings). I'll put that on the list of "things to check out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
sucks about the exhaust but if it came off that easy, better it happened in your yard and not in the middle of the night on some rainy freeway in the middle of nowhere!..
Exhaust clamps aren't expensive. No idea how tight the joint was before (and didn't recall seeing a busted clamp on the ground), so who knows? This is why I'm glad it's in a nearby storage yard, in an industrial area. Even though there's quite a bit of traffic on the roads, it's not far to find a place to safely turn around and return. Yay for shakedown runs! And there wasn't too much shaking ...
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #49
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
No updates this week, I have been busy and not had much time to mess with it. I have, however, been giving thought as to what exactly I plan to do with it. Either way, I plan to put it to work to make $$. Option 1 - build a party-wagon out of it, jamming sound system, TV, fancy LED lighting, black out the inside, along-the-walls seating all that goes with it. Option 2 - build it into a food truck. Used restaurant kitchen equipment can be found all over Craigslist/Ebay/Govdeals. Plumbing would likely involve a pair of 100 gal aluminum (former) fuel tanks ... one may have to be stainless for the "fresh" water. They would probably go on fuel tank brackets, right in front of the drive axle, one on each side. Probably retain 4 of the seats, build a pair of restaurant-style booths with seats facing a table attached to the wall.

Thoughts?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #50
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,942
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
when I was in austim I saw a couple skoolies art food kitchens... carpemnters are decent height ceiling for it... the one mosty notable was a pizza kitchen with the oven vents going out the back.. since pizza is made in a Line-style fashion it works well in a bus...

party busses are tough because of thre size... we have one really fance party bvus here in the city.. im not sure who made the body, the front is a freightliner.. it looks slightly shorter than a skoolie.. it'd driver said its a total pain to drive... not in the city so much but the residential streets csars, parked on both sides, tight corners, etc.. where such it has to pick up people..

obnviously a school bus has done the residential street thing but apartment complexes could prove to be tricky if there are party pickups there...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.