Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #51
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quick check in. It's been rather hot and I've been rather low on funds, so not much has been done. I snagged an exhaust clamp and raised the hood to check on the fuel smell. The center 2 injectors on the driver's side had small puddles of fuel around them, I didn't have much time but I am thinking the fuel return lines are shot. Fortunately, being common rubber fuel line, I can snag a few feet of this at any local parts store for a few bucks. I'll go pull one off so I can match up size. I might as well replace the cheap spring clamps while I'm at it. Even if this doesn't fix the problem - it eliminates one thing to go wrong in the future. And while I'm at it, I'll check the tightness of the high pressure lines. Speaking of which...

My local mechanic seems to think these lines on this particular engine do not use O-rings; they might be a flared fitting instead. All the same, I'll check 'em while I'm up there. And I'll check the ones on the injector pump ... he advised me to take 2 wrenches and be sure to brace the "nut" on the injector pump ... as allowing it to turn might alter the timing of that injector. Good to know, I will be careful to avoid it. Since I did not see much residue around the injector pump, nor any pooling in the intake valley, I am thinking there are no leaks at the injector pump.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:27 PM   #52
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
*Supplemental* I am also still considering my options as far as what I plan to use it for. If I plan to build a food truck out of it, in addition to all the necessary commercial grade kitchen things, I will need to consider at least 4 things. Namely:

1 and 2 - fresh and waste water tanks. Both would likely go on the driver's side, using former road-tractor fuel tank brackets (and at least for the waste water) an aluminum tank as well. The fresh will likely need to be stainless for sanitary purposes. Before anyone gets all "Side-to-side weight balance" and reminding me water weighs ~8 pounds/gallon, I am figuring a full fuel tank (being steel, with crash cage), and only one of the water tanks would be full at any one time (or about the equivalent between them both), the weight would more or less balance out.
3 - Power. Not all places will have shore power available, so I will need to consider a generator capable of powering the entire setup. Diesel would be the preferred choice, I would like to set it up to use the same tank as the main engine does. No point in needing 2 fuel tanks when one can suffice. If all the kitchen items are all electric, this can easily go upwards of 20KW. I could consider propane instead ...
4 - Cooling. The bus already has dual A/C systems, driven from engine mounted compressors. Idling the engine could cool the bus, but doing so with a crowd around isn't exactly a desirable option. Running a generator wouldn't be as bad, as the exhaust from it will be considerably less than the main engine, likely "cleaner", and directed away from where a crowd would be congregating. So would there be a way to use the generator to power the current A/C systems, perhaps using the existing belt-driven compressors? In considering this, the A/C systems would be set up to run and work independently of the main engine and ignition circuit.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #53
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Well, a few hours of sweat, 3 feet of 3/16" fuel line and some hose clamps later, the 2" long returns from the injectors to the return rail have been replaced. I saw no evidence of any significant leakage on the passenger side, and only the middle 2 on the driver's side. There's 2 lines (one on each side) going from the return rails to a central line, which I did not (yet) replace, but plan to. It was getting hot, I was getting dehydrated, and neglected to bring any water with me (I was at a storage yard). So I called it quits for now.

Earlier I messed with getting the exhaust back in place and back together. Upon closer inspection, the rear pipe and u-bend going over the axle have rusted through in places. A couple of the hanger bolts have rusted in place. I haven't checked the section from the axle to the engine, but I think it's safe to say it needs to be replaced too.

The straight sections of 4" pipe will be easy enough to find, as for the formed section over the axle, should I look for a factory designed part? Universal part? Have one fabricated locally? Look into flex-pipe? Get a number of 45 degree bends, cut & weld as needed to mimic the original (I don't have the tools and skills to do this)? Ideas? Suggestions?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #54
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,944
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you'll have a tough time spinning those underhood compressors with an electric motor.. most Bus A/C systems are 40k-50k BtuH EACH... that would require a Heck of a motor and a Generator to run those.. if you want electric A/C and attempt to cool a kitchen you will need 3 or 4 rooftop units to do the job which still requires a heck of a generator...

im assuming your food truck setup for cooking would be propane for the fryers, cooktops, ovens, etc.. and then electric for your "hoods".. if you use a real restaraunt style hood (they make them for food trucks) they bring in their own outside air and create an exhaust loop which leaves most of your interior cool air intact...

im not sure how food trucks do where you are.. but around here and most places ive been they have 1 or 2 rather noisy generators and one I know of leaves their truck run to keep their refrigeration cool.. they have an engine driven A/C compressor running their main refrigerator.. that trucks is gasoline.. I guess you have to run your bus at idle and walk around it and see if it is really noisy back where you would be serving and / or smells like diesel smoke..

shore power is rare for food trucks... some of the MAJOR festivals in our city offer shore power but even our food truck festival they are all on generators....

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #55
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
you'll have a tough time spinning those underhood compressors with an electric motor.. most Bus A/C systems are 40k-50k BtuH EACH... that would require a Heck of a motor and a Generator to run those.. if you want electric A/C and attempt to cool a kitchen you will need 3 or 4 rooftop units to do the job which still requires a heck of a generator...
I'm thinking if I set up a small diesel generator, the A/C systems could be belt-driven? The blowers and fans would remain 12v electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im assuming your food truck setup for cooking would be propane for the fryers, cooktops, ovens, etc.. and then electric for your "hoods".. if you use a real restaraunt style hood (they make them for food trucks) they bring in their own outside air and create an exhaust loop which leaves most of your interior cool air intact...
Propane would probably be the way to go, using all electric appliances would require quite a large generator. The hood probably wouldn't use all that much power compared to "everything else".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im not sure how food trucks do where you are.. but around here and most places ive been they have 1 or 2 rather noisy generators and one I know of leaves their truck run to keep their refrigeration cool.. they have an engine driven A/C compressor running their main refrigerator.. that trucks is gasoline.. I guess you have to run your bus at idle and walk around it and see if it is really noisy back where you would be serving and / or smells like diesel smoke..
I see a lot of food trucks and trailers being built and many are completely self contained, many run a 8-10KW generator (and propane for cooking). No idea what (if anything) is done for cooling.

If we do this, we will probably set up at festivals, and set up at one of the local flea markets between times. We don't want to run this 7-days-a-week, more like do it as weekend warriors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
shore power is rare for food trucks... some of the MAJOR festivals in our city offer shore power but even our food truck festival they are all on generators....
Yeah, unless we are at a camp site, a 50A shore power is unlikely to happen.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:37 PM   #56
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
It's been a while since I've done anything with the bus. I went through a job loss and period of unemployment, so everything was put on hold while I got the employment and income back on track. Still getting caught up financially, but better than being broke.

I recently had another thought. As a regional driver, I stopped for food and saw some folks sitting in a parking lot with a bunch of stuff spread out, like a small yard sale. And I got to thinking - could something like this be set up in a bus, like a miniature, rolling thrift store? Would there be any demand for something like that? Would I have any success with it?

Basically the build would be rather simple. Remove seats - install shelves (up to about 3' high, basically up to the bottoms of the windows or so). The first thing that comes to mind is a bunch of loose merchandise that could (and would) easily fall from the shelves. I have a number of plastic crates that could hold the goods and still be easily/quickly secured for travel. Shelves could be reclaimed 3/4" plywood (which I have on hand). Wouldn't necessarily need full shelving on both sides, as I'd probably need room for a few pieces of furniture and larger items.

I have a garage already stuffed with things I don't need but still have some life left in them - the kind of stuff you'd expect to find at a thrift store or garage sale.

Ideas? Thoughts? Feedback?
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #57
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
It's been a while since I've done anything with the bus. I went through a job loss and period of unemployment, so everything was put on hold while I got the employment and income back on track. Still getting caught up financially, but better than being broke.

I recently had another thought. As a regional driver, I stopped for food and saw some folks sitting in a parking lot with a bunch of stuff spread out, like a small yard sale. And I got to thinking - could something like this be set up in a bus, like a miniature, rolling thrift store? Would there be any demand for something like that? Would I have any success with it?

Basically the build would be rather simple. Remove seats - install shelves (up to about 3' high, basically up to the bottoms of the windows or so). The first thing that comes to mind is a bunch of loose merchandise that could (and would) easily fall from the shelves. I have a number of plastic crates that could hold the goods and still be easily/quickly secured for travel. Shelves could be reclaimed 3/4" plywood (which I have on hand). Wouldn't necessarily need full shelving on both sides, as I'd probably need room for a few pieces of furniture and larger items.

I have a garage already stuffed with things I don't need but still have some life left in them - the kind of stuff you'd expect to find at a thrift store or garage sale.

Ideas? Thoughts? Feedback?
I don't know where I saw it, but it has been done. You would need a venue. Best places would be at street fairs, public farmers markets, etc.
Its a good idea especially if you could promote the Green aspect of it. Think of parking places that Green/Hipster/artisan type events would be happening. This would be your best audience.
As a non-profit idea, you could have a mobile clothing and food bus for the homeless.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #58
Bus Nut
 
Dapplecreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: near Christiansburg VA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmopars View Post
...As a non-profit idea, you could have a mobile clothing and food bus for the homeless.
Before getting too creative, investigate the need for a CDL for whatever it is you're considering. Might be prohibitive.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #59
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Georgia
Posts: 924
Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Before getting too creative, investigate the need for a CDL for whatever it is you're considering. Might be prohibitive.

An excellent point. However - (1) I already have a Class A CDL, and (2) this bus is under 26K and has hydraulic brakes, keeping it out of CDL range.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #60
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 7,944
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International S3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
An excellent point. However - (1) I already have a Class A CDL, and (2) this bus is under 26K and has hydraulic brakes, keeping it out of CDL range.
interesting how your full-size carpenter is less than 26k, yet my little 7 row is 27500 with air ... whoever ordered mine mustve wanted one heck of a soilid heavy bus.. LOL..
-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.