Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
'87 IH Carpenter Project

Well, after uploading pics (Finally!) and some basic stuff, I figured it was time to start a thread for it. Let's see if I can make the pics work ..... On second thought, how about just linking the album? http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...albums931.html

Work needed upon purchase:
Lettering and decals removed.
Throttle pedal bracket loose.
Throttle control handle not returning to low idle.
Hoses, belts (part numbers). Also, shut off valves for heater hoses.
Oil, fuel, air filter part #'s.
Oil pressure showing 100+ on startup.
Left Wiper too long/hitting top of windshield.
Windshield washer tubes, etc.
(Eventually) refrigerant in A/C systems.
(Eventually) 22.5 rims for rear axle.
Battery hold-downs? Cables for 3rd battery?
Left upper tail/brake light inoperative.
Check back-up lights.
Check/fix left rear red alt. flasher (low priority).
Check indicator lights in instrument cluster, also dash lights in same. Left turn and high-beam indicators both inoperative.
(Eventually) RGB LED's for dash lights.
Dome light - one bulb burned out.
TITLE - SC title has one VIN digit missing. GA wants title corrected and re-issued.

Work done so far:
1/2 lettering/decals removed. Adhesive remains.
Throttle handle is intended for idling-up the engine when parked. I can push it in but the engine does not idle-down by itself. If I lift the throttle with my foot, it returns to normal. I'm not worried about this for now.
Parking Brake - Adjusted (Hopefully).
Oil Pressure Sensor - purchased, installed, but the nut holding the wire on the old one would not loosen (stud turned with it) ... so ... I now need to crimp a new end on the wire for the new sending unit.
LED S/T/T, marker, clearance lights - purchased, to be installed. The "lower" brake lights still work, I plan to replace them with LED versions at some point
Dash lights - indicators replaced as needed, lights still being addressed.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:58 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Nice looking bus
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Does the A/C still work? SWEET if it does!!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Your bus has probably already received more prayers and blessings than any of the rest of our buses. Looking good.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

A/C systems (there are 2) both work, the compressors kicked in when tested. Front one cycled on/off. Haven't checked refrigerant charge yet, but systems are said to use R134A which will make servicing much easier. They are obviously a retrofit, probably done when the church picked it up in '98, which was when R134A was the available refrigerant.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
awesdome bus!!! almosrt like mine.. onkly years is longer and you dont have to install A/C.. in 98 it was probably a TransAir or a Carrier that was put into it... most likely 2 compressors running it...

Nice lookin Bus!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

You are correct, it has 2 belt driven compressors ... is it odd that *BOTH* are mounted *UNDER* the engine? In the view from the front (favoring the driver's side) a shield can be seen coming down from the bumper.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

yes the dual compressor bracket kits run them under the engine... I didnt see which engine you have.. but if its a DT360 / DT466 then that motor was designed from the factory to be ordered wit ha single compressor top mount .. a tecumseh / york style... IH made a similar truck cab on the same enginbe as the Bus.. it could be ordered factory A/C).. back when your bus was built there was no bracket to use an axial compressor like a Sankyo (sanden) style.. TransAir came up with a dual compressor mount kit.. and was the same bracket kit regardless of whether the enging was ordered with or without air brakes, and with or without factory A/C...

their bracket kit could work even if the bus had dash air.. (VERY FEW) busses were ever ordered with a dash A/C...

Carpenter may have offered it as an option afyer the 86 redesign as part of the defrost.. at least I believe the one carpenter I rode to school in 86 (brand new) the driver used to run the console heater and defrost and it blew cool air to help keep her cool (but was designed for defogging)..

however my 1991 Carpenter has No provision for factory switches stating anything with factory A/C.. HOWEVER my ENGINE already has a seltecc / sanden mounting Boss on it at the top next to the air brakes compressor.. even has a free belt groove.

-Christopher
Old 05-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Tsk, tsk. Engine photos are in the album, and the basic bus specs should be next to each post. It's the IH 9 liter engine. "Controls", if they could be called that, consist of rotary knobs retrofitted below the heater switches which basically turn the blowers Off/Low/Medium/High. The interior photos show the overhead units, I see no evidence anything was fitted into the original heat/defrost units. Since the systems are said to use R134 refrigerant, I am guessing they were installed after the early 90's phase-out of R12.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Tsk, tsk. Engine photos are in the album, and the basic bus specs should be next to each post. It's the IH 9 liter engine. "Controls", if they could be called that, consist of rotary knobs retrofitted below the heater switches which basically turn the blowers Off/Low/Medium/High. The interior photos show the overhead units, I see no evidence anything was fitted into the original heat/defrost units. Since the systems are said to use R134 refrigerant, I am guessing they were installed after the early 90's phase-out of R12.

yeah I didnrt look at the album fully.. for some reason my OSX firefox and the forum album dont like each other..

yes Yours are definitelty aftermarket units..I only ever saw ONE carpenter that had the wierd heater with A/C,. it may have been an aftermarket retrofit.. I did it to my last bus so it was possible.. R-134A was mandated for after market units as of 1995..(96 model requured) and no one released it a day sooner in the aftermarket... from the factory cars had it as of 93 for some..

it could also be your system was retrofitted with R-134A.. it was pretty easy to do... change the oil in the compressor.. do a flush, put on the R-134A fittings, Tag it, Label it with the amount and type of refrigerant prominently and thats it..

I do know my heater units are a clogged up mess of dirt and grime.. so every last one of them is coming completely disassembled and rebuilt at the same time i install my A/C

-Christopher
Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Well, the church picked it up in early '98 according to when the title was issued, that's most likely when it got the retrofit and paint job.

Speaking of the title, I spoke with SC DMV *Again* today (the title has a VIN digit missing). It's been 3 weeks. Hopefully I hear something tomorrow. If I lived in SC they could do something locally ... but I live in GA; they need the title corrected/re-issued. BAH! I'm getting a little anxious over it. Good thing I'm not paying insurance on something I can't drive/title/register.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
have you found a company to insure the bus yet? I'm in GA too, and had some trouble. I can give you some info you may find heplful. Also, you can just register it with a bill of sale from the last registered owner. They can fax you one, then if you please, GA will send you a title.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

I am with Allstate on my home and car, they are saying they can insure it ...

GA requires an actual title for all vehicles 1986 and newer; if it was an '85 or older, I could use a bill of sale easily. I have a friend at the tag office who explained all this in as much detail as I wanted to hear.

Besides, it's not *quite* road-ready yet. I have lighting to get functional before it leaves the storage lot.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #14
Bus Geek

if you are Lucky.. Look behind your student Mirror.. Caroenter attached a wiring diagram on the bus front bulkhead behind my mirror... I had to take the mirror off to get a picture of it.. helps immensely with the bus lights!
-Christopher
Old 05-24-2016, 01:10 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Oh, the lighting system appears rather straightforward, really. It's just 30-year-old lights have seen better days, and I have LED's for replacements. And the 9 Liter engine has few electrical parts. There may indeed be a wiring diagram, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I need to.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Oh, the lighting system appears rather straightforward, really. It's just 30-year-old lights have seen better days, and I have LED's for replacements. And the 9 Liter engine has few electrical parts. There may indeed be a wiring diagram, but I'll cross that bridge if and when I need to.
true that!.. I love the mechanical engine... theres not many wires under the hood! I can identify pretty much every where by just looking at it!!.

that 2004 IC bus I looked at before i found mine.. I opened the hood and it looked like today's new cars.. could hardly find the engine.. and the huge bundles of wires... ayyeeeee..!

Hail to the mechanical Busses!

-Christopher
Old 05-24-2016, 08:06 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
true that!.. I love the mechanical engine... theres not many wires under the hood! I can identify pretty much every where by just looking at it!!.

that 2004 IC bus I looked at before i found mine.. I opened the hood and it looked like today's new cars.. could hardly find the engine.. and the huge bundles of wires... ayyeeeee..!

Hail to the mechanical Busses!

-Christopher
Yes, mechanical is a LOT easier. LOVE my 92!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:44 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Update! Yay, I got LED Stop/Tail/Turn lights installed today. Also climbed on the hood and replaced the 3 center amber marker/clearance lights. The 2 outer ones will need longer, but smaller diameter screws which will make using the existing holes difficult. What I'll probably do is drill new holes real close to the old ones and let the foam backing keep water out. I was close to climbing on the roof to replace the rear markers, but I was by myself and didn't want to risk a fall with no way to summon help ... and it was getting late in the day. Just as well. I need to get a ladder so I can de-letter the back of it anyway, I want to make as few trips up-and-down a ladder as I can.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:18 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

And ... I almost forgot. Oil pressure sending unit replaced. The old one wouldn't let go of the wire, so long story short, a new end needed to be crimped on the wire. Did that today, and turned on the switch. 0 PSI (as it should be with engine off). Now, keeping in mind, I had 1 of the batteries connected ... and without the screw on the post, so the wire is sorta just ... barely making connection ... but just for laughs I tried the starter anyway ... Lo and Behold, she fired right off! Oil pressure came up to over 60 fairly quickly, touched 70+ when I revved the engine a little. Normal for a 30-year-old 9 Liter IH engine? As far as I can tell, it's been well maintained until recently, I have no idea if any major engine work has been done in the last few years. I had the IH records checked, at some point (date and mileage unknown) it had the head gaskets replaced, the fuel-tank crash cage installed (under recall) and turn-signal switch replaced.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #20
Bus Geek

super on the LED lights.. I might fill the old marker light holes with silicone just because I never trust the rubber backing on those lights to do its job for more than a couple years... that part of the bus gets hit with all the elements at full speed unobstructed.

having high oil pressure is pretty normal at startup.. it seems like IH engines run fairly high pressure when they are cold.. I know my DT360 runs up at 65 or so when its cold.. i think it has a 60-65 PSI spring in it so the pressure doesnt overshoot..

a bigger test is a good hot running oil pressure.. its normal when you idle down to have a pretty decent drop in pressure when its hot.. or if you are running it hard on the highway...

I know a rule of thumb alot of people use for minimum oil pressure is 10 PSI per 1000 RPM.. it can and will go higher till the oil warms up.. and usually will after warm up..

but sounds to me like you are in range!.. nice to have a gauge again and an engine that kicks right off even without full power!

-Christopher