Old 08-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #121
Bus Nut

Re: 87 Wayne Lifeguard international S1700 CXXVI

It's a skoolie, anything goes just as long as it's not skool bus yeller....
If you don't like it........ you can always redo it.... your dime...
Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #122
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Quote:
Originally Posted by proconsul100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
FWIW, I think the almond color would look good on the wheels
Dan, i have been thinking about that as well. but if i do the wheels Almond, wouldn't it look fumy if the grill, bumpers, and rub rails were not also almond? or could i get away with leaving them black?
Black would be the "safer" bet in terms of blending in with the black trim, but I think it will look kind of... unfinished... like you are "missing the hub-caps", or something like that... ya know what I mean? Take a look at my bus (see pages 11 and 12 of my conversion thread liked below). I haven't painted my wheels yet, and they are the original black. I don't like it. I'm going to paint mine with Rustoleum hammered silver, which doesn't match any other color on my bus, but I think it will look good. Of course silver is a complementary color to black and white since they are neutral colors. It would likely not look as good on your bus. I think since the almond would match the roof it will look good. If I had your bus, I'd probably paint the wheels black to stay on the safe side, and then I wouldn't like it and would wish I had gone with the almond.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #123
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Go with almond---my 2 cents worth
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #124
Bus Crazy

many states school bus yellow is fine, but you gotta either tape over, paint or something the word "school"
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #125
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

'49 is right but be aware that there is a move afoot (read GOVERNMENT) To ban the use of National School Bus Glossy Yellow for use on ANY bus save those actually in school service. They have even gone so far as to specify the spectral qualities of the color so as to avoid confusion. Soooo, parade NSBGY at your own risk. I'll try not to keep beating this dead horse but it is something all SKOOLIES must deal with.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #126
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

thanks guys for your suggestions, and i think you are right. i shall almond-ize my rims. the more i think about it the better it sounds. i think i will paint the mirror holder frames almond as well. im not sure about the rub rails though. im trying to picture in my head what it would look like with almond rub rails.
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 PM   #127
Bus Nut

[quote=Diesel Dan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by proconsul100
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Diesel Dan":8f7en4vm
FWIW, I think the almond color would look good on the wheels
Dan, i have been thinking about that as well. but if i do the wheels Almond, wouldn't it look fumy if the grill, bumpers, and rub rails were not also almond? or could i get away with leaving them black?
Black would be the "safer" bet in terms of blending in with the black trim, but I think it will look kind of... unfinished... like you are "missing the hub-caps", or something like that... ya know what I mean? Take a look at my bus (see pages 11 and 12 of my conversion thread liked below). I haven't painted my wheels yet, and they are the original black. I don't like it. I'm going to paint mine with Rustoleum hammered silver, which doesn't match any other color on my bus, but I think it will look good. Of course silver is a complementary color to black and white since they are neutral colors. It would likely not look as good on your bus. I think since the almond would match the roof it will look good. If I had your bus, I'd probably paint the wheels black to stay on the safe side, and then I wouldn't like it and would wish I had gone with the almond. [/quote:8f7en4vm]

Dan, you bus looks great!! and you are right Silver would look good on your rims
Old 08-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #128
Site Team

I wouldn't paint the rub rails almond...I think it would be too Skoolie is that possible

The rims and mirrors would look good tho'

I may paint my rims also...mostly because everytime I see her I can picture her sitting on the Tarmac in Dhahran
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #129
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I would keep the mirrors black to match the other trim (rubrails, bumpers, grill etc.), especially since the mirrors themselves are already black, so you would only have to paint the mirror brackets. Almond probably wouldn't look BAD, per se, but it would visually make the mirrors look like a continuation of the roof rather than part of the "trim package". I think making all your trim almond would be kinda yuck - like looking at a photographic negative. I guess I feel that trim should be darker than the body, especially if it's from the same color spectrum. It's a matter of personal preference - but there's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #130
Bus Nut

Thanks Guys,

after listening to everybody i have decided to:
leave the rub rails black
paint the mirror brackets black (mirrors are already black)
paint the wheel rims almond

i need to do something about the stairwell. im thinking wood stairs and industrial carpeted sides. ive seen some good examples here on the site. i need to figure out how to seal the wood against the elements,and possible attach some kind of door mat tot he first stair.