Old 09-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #381
Site Team

Re: 87 Wayne Lifeguard international S1700 CXXVI

how about over one of the kitchen windows on the drivers side?
That way you could always open a window when it's raining for ventilation?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #382
Bus Nut

Year: 87
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International s1700
Engine: 6.9 internatiional
Rated Cap: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
how about over one of the kitchen windows on the drivers side?
That way you could always open a window when it's raining for ventilation?
thats a good idea, i think i will look into the drivers side for the small awning.
proconsul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #383
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 87 Wayne Lifestar international S1700 CXXVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
That is the first school bus I have seen that actually has a battery hold down
My '89 B700 had one... Real pain in the butt, too, I threw it away because I didn't plan on moving the thing for a good long while.

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 BlueBird 64 passenger (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)

Check out my original music page ("Allergic To Air" on Facebook) and YouTube channel (AllergicToAirMusic)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #384
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 87 Wayne Lifestar international S1700 CXXVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipopak
Battery posts and terminals look awfully dirty and oxidized. Clean them out first because they put a high resistance on the electrical path.
Probably late to the party with this one, but Coca-Cola does wonders for this... Pour liberally over the posts and watch it fizz up...

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 BlueBird 64 passenger (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)

Check out my original music page ("Allergic To Air" on Facebook) and YouTube channel (AllergicToAirMusic)
Old 09-06-2013, 04:56 AM   #385
Mini-Skoolie

I think I know why your batteries were having trouble charging...

BIG no-no. NEVER put a battery on the ground. I learned from a couple guys I worked the parts counter with at Auto Zone that putting automotive-type batteries on the ground for any real length of time does something to discharge them, sometimes permanently. ESPECIALLY if on concrete. Not sure why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery On Ground.JPG (70.0 KB, 309 views)

Old 09-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #386
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Her, me and Molly

Quote:
BIG no-no. NEVER put a battery on the ground. I learned from a couple guys I worked the parts counter with at Auto Zone that putting automotive-type batteries on the ground for any real length of time does something to discharge them, sometimes permanently. ESPECIALLY if on concrete. Not sure why.
I can't believe this tail still persists. It stopped being true when I was in my teens. Quote from one of many sites I did a search on. There is some thought that the concrete might cool it enough to make it "appear" discharged, but when warmed up all is well. Possibly, it you had a REALLY greasy, wet battery, then it may discharge using the wet as a path to the floor.

Quote:
Car batteries used to be encased in hard rubber, a substance that was porous enough that battery acid could seep through it and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery. The cases of todayís batteries, however, are made of sturdier stuff that far better contains their contents than those of yesteryear. As well, time has brought technological improvements to the seals around the posts and the vent systems.
Another and cleaner way to clean corrosion from a battery is a paste made from baking soda and water. Keep applying until it stops fizzing.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 AM   #387
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72

Nice score on the awnings!!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #388
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
I can't believe this tail still persists. It stopped being true when I was in my teens. Quote from one of many sites I did a search on. There is some thought that the concrete might cool it enough to make it "appear" discharged, but when warmed up all is well. Possibly, it you had a REALLY greasy, wet battery, then it may discharge using the wet as a path to the floor.
Trouble is, there seems to be some truth to it... I have had several go dead from sitting on the ground. I wouldn't have believed it, much less said anything, if I hadn't seen it myself. Food for thought...

Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #389
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Nice score on the awnings!!

thanks Jake
Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #390
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa
Trouble is, there seems to be some truth to it... I have had several go dead from sitting on the ground. I wouldn't have believed it, much less said anything, if I hadn't seen it myself. Food for thought...
thanks Cheese Wagon, that battery shone here was an old emergency lighting battery i got from work, but it wouldn't charge up. so i got rid of it. perhaps it came from sitting on the ground for so long