Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Bus Nut

89 Thomas Saf-T-liner Skoolie....

Hi there! I'm new here, but certainly not new to forums, even have my own forum where I have chronicled my conversion so far, complete with pictures. Have 3 pages of threads on it too...

In a short summary, I picked up the 89 Thomas via publicsurplus.com for around $2k, it's a transit style school bus with a Caterpillar 3208 Diesel in the rear. I've had it just short of a year, and only work on it Sundays and an occassional Saturday. I've got most of the body stuff done, painted it, and am now in the process of installing electrical & plumbing and some of the basic interior stuff.

If you'd like to look at what I've got so far, go to MY MESSAGE BOARD and look around. I just finished 'harvesting' some equipment from a 5th wheel that had seen better days...

I was a member of another School bus conversion forum, but really didn't like the format of the thing, and a few other things that shall go un-specified here.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: TransitLiner
Engine: Cummings
Good deal! Welcome to the group and it's nice to see another white saf-t-liner there. I've already been busy on your site and wanna thank you for posting the link. Hope to see you post here more as well.
w1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I've been looking at the paint job, and since I've gotta fix the front where someone backed a dump truck into it, and I'm changing the window scheme slightly on the curb side...so I know I'll be doing a little more painting after a while. I'm really considering blending some "Leather" and a some white to make a lighter tone of the Leather color and spraying the bottom 25% of the bus that color. I'm also going to add some kind of stripes also, but not sure exactly what's going to come out of that...I am NOT an autobody person and not real good at this part of the job...

Going back to the farm tomorrow to 'harvest' some more stuff off of the donor trailer!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote