Old 08-09-2004, 11:07 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
'91 International school bus w/ vw and slideout (Boogie Bus)

I saw this picture on busnutonline. I hope we will get to talk to the person that built that bus.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

If my bus makes it back from the 5k mile trip out west and back I"m considering installing a slide out this winter.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:24 PM   #3
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
Do you build the slide-out from scratch, a kit or as a unit?
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

You usually get them as a kit.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

i haven't thought about all the particulars yet, but I would definately build mine from scratch. I"m far to cheap to buy a ready made kit if one was even available.

I have a few hydraulic cylinders laying around that would work to power the unit in and out. Using air to power the cylinders would be the cheapest method, but not necessarily the best.

The frame would all be built out of square tube steel. I'd like the use the existing side of the bus including the windows on the outermost part of the slideout. When the slideout is retracted, the bus will look stock.

The frame would be set on top of some rollers to allow the unit to move in/out easily. The frame would also have guides to keep the unit from moving front to back. A simple method i've seen on RV's to keepthe slidout from leaking is to have a tarp/canopy that is attached to the roof of the bus and to the top ofthe slideout. As the unit moves away from the bus, it spreads the canopy open keeping rain out of the "joint"

Anyone else have comments on the project?

I wish we could hear frome the gentleman who created the work of art pictured in this topic.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:25 AM   #6
Skoolie

I picked up Dave galleys book “Slide-out Rooms, Mechanics & Structural” a couple of years ago to study up on this sort of thing.

It’s much better than his ‘Bus Converters Bible’ (what a waste of money that book is)…

The Slide-out book goes into lots of theory and such on beefing up the bus framing after you cut out the ‘hole’ for your slide-out …plus different ways to frame & Build the slide-out.
He also talks about slide-out motors quite a bit (Electric & Hydraulic)
Unfortunately like all his books …he never actually gives you a concise set of instructions to follow. (I think He’s afraid of being sued if someone screws up using his directions.)
But even so …the Book is good for getting an idea on how slides are constructed and sealed up.

Here’s his site where you could pick up the slide-out book if you want, costs $19.95…(scroll down the page a bit to find the book)

http://www.winlock.com/

Steve, Where Do you get these ‘Slide-out kits” ? …I use to have a URL for the slide-out replacement motors. But it got lost somewhere.
Are the kits ….the motors & slide-mechanism???

That Bus with the Slide-out & VW camper on top is called (I think) The Boogie Bus. I did a Google search but couldn’t find it …

I’m really excited! I just signed up at the University here in Sitka to take a bunch of welding courses this winter (ARC, MIG & TIG).
I’m pretty much set on building a big 40-foot 5th Wheel travel trailer (with 3 slide-outs) and really need to know how to weld. We could never afford to pay someone else to build the frame …so this is going to come in very handy.

Michael & Millie
http://www.mobilehomestead.com
Old 08-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Here is an article you may want to read.

http://www.rversonline.org/Sliders.html

For those slide out kits I think I had seen them previously at http://www.ronthebusnut.com but he doesn't have any right now.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
Skoolie

Great article…Thanks Steve.

I imagine most problems with slide-outs are bad manufacturing issues and have nothing to do with slide-outs being truly unviable, overly heavy…or inherently problematical.

I’m betting that lots of Motor Home & Trailer companies take a non-slide out model…do a few simple modifications …pop in a slide-out and that’s it.
The Better Motor home & Trailer Companies actually design the rig from the ground up with slides in mind. They tend to have few or no problems.
If you build anything well …it’s going to work. But if it’s constructed poorly then it’s going to be junk.

Personally, I would never have a slide-out kitchen( LP fridge & Stove ) because of kinking and stretching LP Lines & such. But I see no problems with a well-constructed slide for other things.

Us Bus converters already know we can build them better than you can buy them.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

The positive is that when you are working with a school bus you don't have to worry about how much weight your adding, your never going to stuff enough in there to overload it.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:55 PM   #10
Skoolie

Steve …what I’m leaning toward is building something similar to this…

Ours will be 40 ft. long …(this trailer is 30’)

Since Millie & I are getting Older and want a rig to live in completely Fulltime…
I started thinking about the piddley 27 feet of space inside our bus. And realized that’s just not enough area/space to be truly comfortable in.

So, I’m thinking a big 5th wheel is more realistic for us .
I’m not sure what we’ll tow her with yet ….probably a small logging truck or something. I thought about it and did a lot of research on using our bus (cut-down) to tow the trailer with. But , I don’t think that would work out well for a heavy trailer….
So, I don’t know…

For the slides …I’ve designed a different form than you see on Motorhomes & trailers . It shouldn’t leak at all, and can be built very lightweight because of the peaked roof