it was a lot of specs tango, lol but a lot of fun to build. if i were to do it for someone else, i cant promise you I'd get it done anytime soon.
went out and finished the battery bay today and got random supplies, and made some more welds to the wheel well area, almost done!
in this picture: Rust-oleum oil-based protective enamel gloss black, great foam big gap sealant, an off-brand ospho they carried at home depot ($15 on the right) as well as a couple test tubes of sealant adhesive that is polyurethane based, some typical PPE, and yet another spool of welding wire.
There were three spots where it had rusted through so i grinded, pounded and welded it back to normal.
The outside hasn't been re-done with grinding or wire-wheel and paint but you can see the make-shift patches from the back here.
thanks for the advice, the great foam wont be hitting light though. i did not know that it was corrosive to steal. will, put a coating of something down first.
The welds are done. now there will be sealant/adhesive to go over them after for good measure.
Pressured washed the interior twice, had to use the wet vac a couple of times.
Using the rust converter/etch liquid in a hand pump sprayer, worked perfect. Not sure why it foamed so much in the front. We will come back tomorrow and rinse it off, then give it a coating of rust inhibitor.
So the end of our weekend off has come to a close, working about 12 hours each day. our goals of what we laid down thus far have been met, and we are very satisfied.
The $15 gallon of phosphoric kleen-strip was well worth it. We sprayed it on around 8:00pm just after pressure washing it at 7:15pm. We arrived the next morning at 9:00am and it was just drying up. it worked so well there was literally no rust at all, it turned what was there to black. It had also etched everything else, for the paint to adhere better. It looks and feels like new metal after pressure washing it off and letting that dry and sweeping a chalking substance off 10 times.
All the holes in the floor were also welding up, again the wire-feed welder was perfect, took maybe 10-15 seconds a holes.
We ended up using 1 1/2 gallons of the rust-oleum that you see in the picture above. it goes on pretty thick but works great.