Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 07:03 PM   #221
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Fisher Body
Chassis: GM "B" Platform
Engine: 350 TBI Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 8
Great work on your bus so far!

Stewzer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #222
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
first of the lumber to frame up the interior is finally here, used my "other" truck to go get it.

then the lumber is finally making its way into the bus. Everything still needs to be cut, ripped, glued, screwed, etc... but the day of framing up the interior is finally here.

also just so everyone knows how we plan to frame the interior here is a picture of how we are going to do it. I've had this picture for awhile now, so i cant remember who did it or what the bus was called but they were clever as hell. thanks to whoever you are.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:57 AM   #223
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
also just so everyone knows how we plan to frame the interior here is a picture of how we are going to do it. I've had this picture for awhile now, so i cant remember who did it or what the bus was called but they were clever as hell. thanks to whoever you are.
Clever how? What makes this framing different from anything else?
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #224
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Clever how? What makes this framing different from anything else?
Likely the use of three thin pieces of wood on or next to the ribs, allowing the ceiling material to be secured to the ribs (well, to just next to them) rather than to lengthwise strips as many do. Using several thin pieces of wood allows the finished structure to mimic the arc of the rib - hard to do with one thicker piece.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 AM   #225
Bus Nut

well if it isn't clever, its definitely well thought out. i hope i didn't come off as saying its better than anyones build either, because to each his own.
but to start off like dapple creek said. the 2x2's he cut into thinner strips to bend the curvature of the roof rib. Also the notch cut out of the bottom of the 2x2's on the sides because of the chair rail so that its flat on the inside. as well as matching the curve towards the top. so the 2x2's on the ceiling and walls combined with the 1.75" bus ribs pretty much make for a mock 2x4 which we can then fit 3.5" rolls of insulation in there. there is also (which you cant see in this pic) about a 1/2" x 1/2" piece of the chair rail where the floor connects that sticks out so the floor wont be flush unless you put 1/2" plywood down first. hope this makes sense, because i tend to ramble.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #226
Bus Nut

Not much to say about today, just finished up odds and ends before framing up the floor and walls. We also bought insulation for the floor today too.

Fired up the wood-stove right away in the morning to warm things up.

three holes here from a clearance marker light welded and grinded flush.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #227
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Why did you remove the clearance and marker Lights? They are required lights and you can get cited for not having them
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:34 AM   #228
Bus Nut

we do plan on having clearance lights lol. just going to be replaced with new LED's and the holes do not match up from the old to new, so we'll drill new holes. Just in-case we forget where they go I've looked up DOT requirements several times just so we keep it legal.

Old link i originally had from this site seemed to expire, was an excellent source of information.
http://www.glo-brite.com/application...quirements.cfm

New one with not as much information.
Trucks, Buses, MMPV's - RV - Grote Industries

Been through DOT inspections with a tractor-trailer before, would like to avoid it as much as possible with my bus.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #229
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I was under the impression that DOT would only fux with you if you have a DOT number and are commercial... Have things changed?
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #230
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
I was under the impression that DOT would only fux with you if you have a DOT number and are commercial... Have things changed?
I think the DOT can mess with you if you just weigh a certain amount, regardless if you have a dot number or not. I dont plan to get once since im not a commercial vehicle, but clearance lights i will do either way because they look badass at night.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #231
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
DOT can mess with ANYONE even a camper if they want to... they generally dont if your rig is stable and looks good..

I saw DOT stop a private pickup truck on my way down to florida.. presumably because his tarp over the load in the bed was flapping like crazy...didnt look like it was going to come off but the DOT car ran them down and stopped them..

at least im assuming it was DOT as it said "Law enforcement" on the car and not "POLICE" or "TROOPER".. and didnt have a police shaped shield but a round circular logo..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:54 PM   #232
Bus Nut

yeah legalities suck.

anyways. having time off of work on the bus is great, got A LOT done today, although it may not seem like it in the pics.
Now the bus is 100% sealed, tested through rain and cold drafts. caulk on every seam and rivet. never thought we'd see the day when we wouldn't see light come through somewhere. was also noticeable warmer with the wood-stove after completing the caulking.
Then we finally removed the wire racks that ran the length of the bus just before the roof curve. also found out this whole time my wires could be separated by the drivers side by disconnecting two connectors and a crimped white wire. Might be able to see the 30' of wire coiled up in the back right. the other 5' is around the steering wheel. The wire racks were incredibly easy to get down, they had the weakest tack welds and could eventually be metal fatigued off by hand. they were in the way of the 2x2's that would butt up against the bus ribs until the curve.
And then after all that we scrubbed the inside clean, had to work fast with hot water and one person scrubbing and the other drying real quick before it froze. worked out great, no more bondo dust, metal shavings, and rivet chunks laying around.

and....ran out of caulk. oh well, worked until the sun went down anyways so it worked out, going to get more tomorrow, along with more insulation and plywood to finish out the interior.
first part of the sub floor going down. width of the floor of ours is 87 1/2" if anyone is curious.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #233
Bus Nut

we went and gathered wood with my parents today, there are also a
couple barrels under the tarp full of twigs to start fires with. we'll see how long this much wood lasts us. the 1/3 on the right needs to be split yet.

Used 5/16" plywood to match the height of the curve at the bottom of the chair rail then laid it down to create a flush floor. There is a lot of hidden caulk and fasteners in this picture, and more caulk was applied to the seams of where the plywood meet after this photo was taken. the bricks and anvil-like railroad piece is to just weigh down a bowed 2X4 we had in the bundle.

Then outlined the bus starting right after the steps (not in photo) with 2X4's which sit half on the curve at the bottom of the chair rail and half on the plywood. Caulk was applied to all seams and where surfaces touch. This is mainly just a progress picture, cant see too many small details.

Then starting from back to front we framed it to put in the insulation.
We've been waiting a long time for this milestone.

The rear floor insulation is in but still have to do some trimming on the ends. there is also some more framing between the wheel wells.
After the plywood is on top of this, we will frame in the wheel wells, then insulate and great foam where needed.

Just a view looking back to front.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #234
Bus Nut

Tell me that ain't yur parents under the blue tarp!

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #235
Bus Nut

no. haha. i was just too lazy to take the blue tarp back, because its supposed to snow not too long after this. just kinda said ah whatever, they can just imagine a pile of wood behind this. lol.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #236
Bus Nut

the majority of the floor is now framed out and ready for the rest of the insulation.

feels warmer every day now.

worked until the rain, ice, and snow came.

we wish we could get this thing road ready in time for skooliepalooza too, but we will just have to make it next year when this thing is completed.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #237
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
love this floor!! seems like it gives you best of both worlds.. insulated floor and a nice place to bolt walls, furniture etc down to..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:29 AM   #238

Year: 2007
Chassis: GAZ 3307
Engine: 4,25 L, zmz 513, 115 h
Rated Cap: 22+1
Excellent! It is titanic work! The american buses are so big and beautiful, and you make its so art and better.
Aflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #239
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflex View Post
Excellent! It is titanic work! The american buses are so big and beautiful, and you make its so art and better.
Greetings from the USA, friend.
Is bus conversion common in Russia?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 AM   #240
Bus Nut

cadillackid - thanks, i never actually know if what i have planned will actually work out or not, and it did, the sub-floor turned out way better and easier than i thought it would be.

Aflex - got that right, hell of a lot of work, and planning. thanks for your kind words. glad to know we are viewed from around the world. haha.