Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #131
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Man...I love "live edge" wood ( I even make it out of cement). If you are a woodworker, you are probably familiar with George Nakashima. He did some pretty spectacular live edge furniture pieces back in the fifties & sixties that sell for tens and even hundreds of thousands of bucks today. Gonna be great! Can't wait to see more pix.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #132
Skoolie

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Tango - I would love to see the live edge cement sometime, haven't heard of George before but looked at his work and see why thy go for that much. I'll upload pics as soon as its done.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:34 PM   #133
Bus Geek

Ya ...George was a truly cool dude. Simply magnificent work. Especially his really big "Peace Tables". Mind blowing craftsmanship.

I did a commission just recently that was a tribute to his style for a couple in northern California. Took several months to make but was a blast to take on.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #134
Skoolie

well since it is almost time to start putting this bus back together, figured we better start getting the dash stuff in order. Here is the drivers heater and defroster. The three blowers are out of this thing as well as the radiator to be cleaned.

Going to blow the **** out of this thing.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #135
Skoolie

Getting the metal ordered, was pretty easy and relatively cheaper than i thought it'd be to get what we need. Thanks to tinyhousebus from Wisconsin we knew exactly where to get it and for roughly $200 less.
We sent the contractor these pictures and he pretty much had it spot on and made the next day. the pieces couldn't fit any better. we brought the sample piece with when picking up the metal just in case, wasnt needed but gave us comfort knowing it would fit in rather than waiting to find out until we raised it and tried putting it in.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #136
Bus Geek

Hey BK --- below is a link to the live edge, sculpted cement table on Flickr. Turned pretty OK to be steel and Portland cement. The live edge, big splits and butterfly tenons are part of the tribute to Master Nakashima. Since you appear to be a "wood guy", I though you might enjoy another take on it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tango8...54547525/page1
Old 05-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #137
Skoolie

Raisin' time. Raised the roof in one day, perfect conditions to do it too. 65 degrees, sunny, and no wind. was a good day.

Jack system i used, got the idea from this website just slightly modified. 1/8" square tubing cut to width of bus rib. Hole drilled through for all thread rod. There is a nut on the very tip of the all thread that is welded to the thread and the top of the 1/8" tubing. turning the nut where the wrench is causes it to press down on the bottom tubing and move the thread up and raise the roof. it couldn't be any easier, just tedious. There were safety devices in place too. there were four of these all together.

Point of no return.

daylight.

nevermind...I got this.

Well the heavy lifting is done now. 16" in total, leaving room for stuff on top enough to clear bridges and enough interior room for both of us (both 5' 6") to have to jump to touch the ceiling. I am missing a few ribs in this photo, but the bus is already plenty sturdy. will post more photos when we finish the rest and get some cross-bracing in. as of this photo the bus is square from back to middle to front and side to side and any which way. very happy with the results.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:39 PM   #138
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Beautiful!
Keep the pics coming, man.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:41 PM   #139
Bus Geek

Lookin' good BK! Keep the pix coming.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 PM   #140
Skoolie

Thanks Tango and Eascoastcb, same to you on "roll your own" and the '46 Chevy. Looking back on it, it still feels like it never happened, cant believe we actually pulled it off. haha.

Picture of somewhat getting the bus level, the spot helped, the tires are still touching the ground but just lifted the frame a little. these are a bit overkill but glad to know it wont fall. 2 - 20 ton jacks.