Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #481

Great build! I just finished reading this from start to where it currently sits and I'm very impressed. I'm from the great state of Minnesota as well, and would love to see this in person. I've recently convinced my girlfriend to consider the idea of a skoolie conversion with a toy hauler in the back for our snowmobiles in the winter and jet skis in the summer. Seeing what you have done with yours might help make my dream her dream too.

What part of the state are you from? I noticed early on that the bus was from Austin. Are you in the southern area?

Ryan

Rmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #482
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
progress in the kitchen. Mountain midnight by Valspar is the interior color of our cabinets/cupboards.

right side cupboards need a back wire chase cover and face frame/doors

left side just needing face frame/doors.

"Pantry" painted and ready for shelves then maybe a door.
Looks great

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #483
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmfreeman View Post
Great build! I just finished reading this from start to where it currently sits and I'm very impressed. I'm from the great state of Minnesota as well, and would love to see this in person. I've recently convinced my girlfriend to consider the idea of a skoolie conversion with a toy hauler in the back for our snowmobiles in the winter and jet skis in the summer. Seeing what you have done with yours might help make my dream her dream too.

What part of the state are you from? I noticed early on that the bus was from Austin. Are you in the southern area?

Ryan
Thanks! Got the bus from Waseca. The bus is currently on my parents land in between le sueur and le center. Im sure we could set something up sometime if you ever wanted, no problem.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #484
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
Looks great

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Thanks jdawg, things seem to be rollin good now.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
Thanks! Got the bus from Waseca. The bus is currently on my parents land in between le sueur and le center. Im sure we could set something up sometime if you ever wanted, no problem.

Oh, that's really not too far then. I have been to and through Le Sueur hundreds of times, as I have a friend there and I have family in Saint James.

I am definitely interested in checking it out in person. I have found a few busses locally that have piqued my interest. They range from $1,800 to $3,000 and have 187K to 227K.

EDIT: I should have included that I am from the Minneapolis area.
Rmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:28 AM   #486
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmfreeman View Post
Oh, that's really not too far then. I have been to and through Le Sueur hundreds of times, as I have a friend there and I have family in Saint James.

I am definitely interested in checking it out in person. I have found a few busses locally that have piqued my interest. They range from $1,800 to $3,000 and have 187K to 227K.

EDIT: I should have included that I am from the Minneapolis area.
Thats not a bad price for something locally. Just check for rust if its from MN. My floor was worst around wheel wells, but definitely fixable. The rest of the floor was in great shape and mine was a 92. Ive seen a few 2000 year or newer where the entire floor was rusted out as well as several beams. There was a tar like coating on the underside of my bus helping it not rust. Hope you find the one you want and im about 45 mins to an hour south of minneapolis.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #487
Bus Nut

majority of plumbing is here and ready to be put in.

pump

accumulator tank

manifold

water heater with fittings and pex pipe.

back of pump and accumulator tank have rubber mounts for on the road absorption.

first coat of cabinet paint going down on the inside. shelving on the left. water heater and manifold mounted on the right. Kitchen sink will also be on this side. this is how we hid our wheel wells, boxed them in and then used part of the upper curve as a hidden storage, you can see the crack there leading to an area. we will have a rubber absorption mat that the water heater will sit on that will cover any cracks.

switches and outlets are here. A test video for you guys to see, using the dimmer at the end.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #488
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
What kind of investment do you have in everything pictured for plumbing?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #489
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What kind of investment do you have in everything pictured for plumbing?

feels like an arm and a leg. but about $600 for whats in the picture.
water heater: 180
pump: 80
accumulator tank: 30
manabloc: 160
strainer: 5
50' 1/2" red pex: 15
50' 1/2" blue pex: 15
pex fittings and clamps, etc... 40
Old 03-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #490
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Nice work! I haven't been around in awhile, but your bus is coming along really nicely. I love the couch too! I've had similar ideas for mine, though my couch probably won't materialize for a long time.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:02 PM   #491
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAOLIK View Post
Nice work! I haven't been around in awhile, but your bus is coming along really nicely. I love the couch too! I've had similar ideas for mine, though my couch probably won't materialize for a long time.
thanks! cant wait to show you the final couch, once the inside is painted, the outside is stained/sealed, the trim to be on, and it to be upholstered!

building a couch from scratch is a lot harder than most people think, i dont blame you for not having it done. haha
Old 03-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #492
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
GREAT FIND!!!! Been going through your posted pics. You just totally blew my mind being set on a flat face. The fact that it's a 5.9 AND a stick??? Adding in the fact that you have 30+ feet behind the drivers seat and the full length is 38 feet. (I'm limited to exactly 38 feet due to my driveway length. No need to be ticking off the neighbors or the town.) Hope I can make a find like this when it comes time for my buy.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 PM   #493
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
GREAT FIND!!!! Been going through your posted pics. You just totally blew my mind being set on a flat face. The fact that it's a 5.9 AND a stick??? Adding in the fact that you have 30+ feet behind the drivers seat and the full length is 38 feet. (I'm limited to exactly 38 feet due to my driveway length. No need to be ticking off the neighbors or the town.) Hope I can make a find like this when it comes time for my buy.

yeah, i know we cant believe the find either, the stick is a 5-speed too, shifts like butter. lol. so great and very well taken care of. I like flat face buses too, especially some of the thomas ones i see on the road for schools now. but our bus specifically has stolen our hearts and we couldnt be happier.

we hope you a great find as well. thank you.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:11 PM   #494
Bus Nut

Lights all worked on first test.
wiring the outlets and switches is almost at an end.

the bulk of the kitchen cabinetry is done. counter-tops and face frame are next.

the drivers side - spacious cupboards above, 3 tier shelves on the bottom right, then a set of 4 pull out drawers in the middle, a spot for a slide out trash bin on the furthest left cabinet piece (this has a secret compartment that was built into the wheel well.) The pantry is on the end of the kitchen. You can also see the wire run covers i made in the cupboards.

the passenger side - more spacious cupboards above . left side of cabinet has two bigger shelves for larger kitchen appliances, pots & pans. the right side of the cabinet is for the sink and plumbing appliances, with another secret wheel well compartment. The shower will be right at the end of this side of the kitchen.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:47 PM   #495
Bus Nut

We started work on the back door, got the majority of it done. Trim and a lock are all that is left.

-Before.

-After.

added new weatherstripping.

Then worked on getting the bedroom done. Picked out a board that was cheap and had some character to it for the long counter/sill. Light switch on the left hand side, and outlet with built-in usb ports on the right side of the window.

the sill
Old 03-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #496
Mini-Skoolie

Ha! I built some bookcases out of that same bug spotted pine!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Dave in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #497
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Tucson View Post
Ha! I built some bookcases out of that same bug spotted pine!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Nice work on the bookcase! It gives the regular, somewhat plain pine a unique look.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #498
Bus Nut

More work in the bedroom done. wired the outlets, only one beneath the bed for the water pump, etc... left. dimmer switch on the left controls the exit light, and the one above the bed. the outlet also has 2 usb chargers with it. We are thinking of a small fold down table that sits against the wall and rests right above the outlet when folded down for a desk. Best of all, we wont need to get out of bed to turn the lights on!

Old 04-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #499
Mini-Skoolie

My girlfriend and I are planning out first bus build, but we probably won't be starting for a few years yet. Ours is definitely not going to look this good. You guys are doing a great job!
wwiding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #500
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiding View Post
My girlfriend and I are planning out first bus build, but we probably won't be starting for a few years yet. Ours is definitely not going to look this good. You guys are doing a great job!
Thanks, a couple years will give you plenty of time to prepare for the crazy world that comes in when you get a bus. we had years of "tiny home" planning that we eventually turned towards the bus.