Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #501
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Now that the weather is halfway decent we can get going on the build a bit more. Winter was longer than expected here in MN.

finished wiring the back up camera for its final spot. Finished the lock on our front door, it shut but never locked because we did not drill out the area for the bolts to go through yet. Now it works like a charm.

We also rebuilt the bottom area and covered it up, as well as the stairs getting a layer of plywood. we are currently shopping for some type of vinyl/linoleum for the stairs.

BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #502
Bus Nut

covered the last of the stairs in plywood.

Then we started in on the bathroom. We are going the composting toilet route. We'll see how it works out. The bin on the left is for the composting medium that we'll put over our business. the bin on the right is for toilet paper and other things. the middle bin will house the toilet and the exhaust fan.

Here is the design we made of how the end product will look. the corner shelf will house a lamp that plugs into that receptacle.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #503
Bus Nut

main electrics making their way in. not pictured in the panel is the 30 amp double pole breaker the outside power coming in will run through before the other circuits. We will still need loads of other things along with a transfer switch when we add solar.

the 30 amp shore power plug. twist lock and weatherproof.

the bedroom is nearing completion. mainly trim left in here and then finish up the water system underneath the bed. A brand new purple mattress for the bus too.

A view of the bus right now. window sill trim is going in, countertops are getting worked on, power system going in under the couch, passenger chair getting upholstered and wall mount for the t.v mounted into a bus rib, way sturdier than we thought it'd be and tilts in every direction. the only thing we need now is free time away from work to get some things done on the bus.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:12 PM   #504
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
The bus is looking awesome! Yall are doing some really good work
Old 05-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #505
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhwick119 View Post
The bus is looking awesome! Yall are doing some really good work

thanks jjhwick - we also ordered tires from my work today, so hopefully we'll be on the road shortly!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #506
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
So we finally saved enough money to buy a welder that we'd need for the thinner metal. Here it is: wirefeed flux cored. $350.
Attachment 7915

After buying the welder (online) early in the morning on one of the rare days we have off together we had bus fever, so we had to go out and do something while we waited. There are so many things that need to be done that it is daunting so i tend to find myself doing the quick easy fun things when I'm low on time. So since we did not have a seat that was bolted down to drive it around the farm while in maintenance mode we decided to make a quick fix.
Attachment 7919
Attachment 7916
Attachment 7917
All we did we use the previous floor pedestal that was stock on the bus and mounted to the new chair, two of the holes of the floor pedestal matched up with the stock bus one. All we had to do was drill two holes and we were set. The bus is a thrill to drive with this now installed, I did not want to stop driving it was now very comfortable, the seat reclines, moves up and down,forward and reverse.
Attachment 7918
We will be using the 2nd free seat as a test subject of replacing the padding in it and reupholstering.
After seeing this and needing a mid level welder for this project. I just went on line and ordered one, well I didn't order it yet, I have a $275 make offer in on a BIN of $301/FS, same machine. Now I have to go sign up for the 3 night class at the local tech college 3 miles from me. Now I need a bus to play with. Now to find the page where you capped the RR.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #507
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
After seeing this and needing a mid level welder for this project. I just went on line and ordered one, well I didn't order it yet, I have a $275 make offer in on a BIN of $301/FS, same machine. Now I have to go sign up for the 3 night class at the local tech college 3 miles from me. Now I need a bus to play with. Now to find the page where you capped the RR.

that welder has done everything we've asked it do and more. welding range can go 20gauge-1/8" thick. my dad who has been a life-long welder with a prior welding business has even been impressed by it. every lincoln electric welder i've seen and used has always been great. 1lb spools at home depot $11, found a 2lb spool at napa once for $24. I've heard though that getting the lincoln electric brand flux-cored (cant remember the number) is what you want to use as it has the least amount of impurities in it. Great welder for a beginner for sure.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #508
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Quote:
that welder has done everything we've asked it do and more. welding range can go 20gauge-1/8" thick. my dad who has been a life-long welder with a prior welding business has even been impressed by it. every lincoln electric welder i've seen and used has always been great. 1lb spools at home depot $11, found a 2lb spool at napa once for $24. I've heard though that getting the lincoln electric brand flux-cored (cant remember the number) is what you want to use as it has the least amount of impurities in it. Great welder for a beginner for sure.
I have a problem with ebay sellers who offer the "make offer" option and then won't accept less than 1% off. He had it listed for $301MO. So I offered $275, he came back at $299.I countered at $290 and he countered at $298. That's when I told him of my problem with his tactics and would just pay the extra $2 his competitor was asking and did so.
I need it for fabricating tube frame work that will not exceed 1/8" wall, and sheet metal, so sounds like the right machine for the money. My best friend works for a welding supply company and overtime I ask him what a good deal on a welder for my needs would be and he's always over $1k. I knew there was a cheaper option that would do what I need.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #509
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have a problem with ebay sellers who offer the "make offer" option and then won't accept less than 1% off. He had it listed for $301MO. So I offered $275, he came back at $299.I countered at $290 and he countered at $298. That's when I told him of my problem with his tactics and would just pay the extra $2 his competitor was asking and did so.
I need it for fabricating tube frame work that will not exceed 1/8" wall, and sheet metal, so sounds like the right machine for the money. My best friend works for a welding supply company and overtime I ask him what a good deal on a welder for my needs would be and he's always over $1k. I knew there was a cheaper option that would do what I need.
I've been running into a lot of that recently on ebay. I've bailed on several offers because they won't to do the dollar lower counter offer.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #510
Bus Nut

major purchase checked off the list!
ALL new virgin tires.

2 - 10.00X20 steer tires
4 - 11r22.5 drive tires

Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 PM   #511
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: T444e
Quote:
When they do that, I refuse to buy from them, and go elsewhere. I think they get a cheaper rate to use the 'make offer' feature... Frustrating that they wont actually accept an offer!!
mangus580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 AM   #512
Bus Nut

heres some random pictures of the bus as of right now, going to go get the tires swapped tomorrow, gotta get it prepped for the longest drive (7 miles) in three years. we've put on all new oil and oil filters, fuel and fuel filters, all fittings greased, coolant lines replaced back to heaters so it runs properly, and the air filter cleaned, we should be good to go soon.

Old 06-06-2018, 06:50 AM   #513
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Very cool, yall!!!!!!!!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #514
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Very cool, yall!!!!!!!!

Thanks, eastcoastCB! we are almost done.

-also forgot to add a picture of the front area now. We added some gunmetal colored indoor/outdoor carpeting.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #515
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I forgot your bus is a manual. Very cool with that DT.

Your hard work is definitely paying off yall.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #516
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Eldorado - 210 Aerolite
Quote:
-also forgot to add a picture of the front area now. We added some gunmetal colored indoor/outdoor carpeting.
Looks great! Is it just glued down?
Tankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #517
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I forgot your bus is a manual. Very cool with that DT.

Your hard work is definitely paying off yall.

Thanks, we agree. the DT paired with a manual is awesome. i love the way it sounds, especially when i downshift, sounds like such a beast. I've driven way heavier duty engines than the 5.9 at work and this thing is great. gets us to 65 mph with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankster View Post
Looks great! Is it just glued down?

carpet tape and staples on this one. thank you!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #518
Bus Nut

finally got around to replacing the oil plug on the bus that was stripped out, it was causing a very small oil leak. replaced it with a double plug type, the first stage of the plug taps into the pan permanently, then the second stage sits inside that one with a gasket as well, smaller oil hole but it gets the job done.

then we keep taking it on test drives around the area to find any probelms that occur, and so far there are none.

here is a video of koya, driving the manual 5 speed w/ DTA360. listen to that sweet sound.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #519
Bus Nut

We finally embarked on our maiden voyage! and it was perfect. 350 miles one way, and around 800 when totally done. We also got our bus weighed for the first time, we put most of our belongings in the bus on this trip too. 21,700 lbs. the bus has a max capacity around 29k according to the plaque. the bus performed like a well tuned machine. we even passed a few folks, and kept up with most big rigs on the road. max cruising speed was around 68 mph. some roads were rough but absolutely everything was solid, and we're so glad we used glue and fasteners on every joint, and you can really tell it makes the difference going down the road, with no rattles from loose objects.

The journey was from just south of the twin cities, MN to Omaha, NE. there was a tiny house festival going on that weekend and we originally had just planned on going to visit only but contacted the site for parking details and got invited to be a DIY builder that showcases your house.

Entering the big city.

sleeping with the big rigs.

parking in empty spaces for some lunch. can you spot it? haha.

IF we had to guess how many people toured our home it was maybe 400 or a little over. at times there were 10-15 at a time. Most people had commented about how great the raise was and the smell of the wood. Everyone had great things to say about it and was great motivation.

We also had in our opinion the best parking spot on site, towards the back and right by an exit, as well as being on the end and not crowded. the coordinators were awesome, and we cant thank them enough it was so fun and easy, and everybody was so welcoming and like-minded. In the second picture you can see the front rims are different from before, we had the 10.00x20 tube type tires on a split rim switched out to a non split rim and regular tubeless 11r22.5's all the way around.

There were 5 other buses there, all good in their own ways, this is looking out our passenger side window. The bus off in the distance sleeps 6.

this was our neighbors to the front. there were nobody to our drivers side or rear.

VERY cool tiny home.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #520
Bus Nut

just a quick update.