Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #181
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
In this way
Attached Thumbnails
20190716_082024.jpg  

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #182
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
In this way
very sturdy - years ago, I built dog sleds using M&T joints loosely fitted and lashed with rawhide or nylon twine to allow flexibility and stability at the same time - ' course those times have passed now - instead of cutting carefully selected birch from my own wood lot, having it milled 1/4 cut to get the most clear straight grained wood, thickness planing, cutting and assembly with hours of sanding, finishing and lashing, now it's aluminum and precision hinges with a variety of control methods to limit the flex and retain stability - funny thing about the new state of the art sleds, is they still only go as fast as the slowest dog in the team - lol - I still enjoy making making scale birch sleds for my grand and great grand children though
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #183
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
In this way
I figured that was the type of dowel you were referring too, mean is different and the hardware does have the right dowel, so I may just do this other method and take a pic for ya's as the proper name for it has been escaping me for a couple days now. and the link I thought I had put in the previous post seems to have vanished.....we have been having weird server issues at work as of late tho….

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #184
Bus Nut

So,
couple sweet things in the last couple days, firstly this lil piece of tech arrived. Haven't gotten to play with it much, tested it, made a quick dash with a couple parameters more monkeying to be had later, and likely even more once I settle on a display.

secondly I managed to get one bunk bed framed roughed out

small head/foot rails

it's a box

and I fitted the siderails with slat lips

So now it's just a matter of tweaking a bit of fit finish, flush height for the inboard posts, sanding, stain, partial re-assemble with final hardware, and then migrate it into the bus for full assembly and final install. Then I get to groundhog day it and build the second one.

During all of this we have been prepping for a wedding, and getting ready to move...….
But the boss lady and I are both in the wedding party, and we (mostly She) are helping a lot with the wedding prep. So today the HSM with a bit of assistance from the bride assembled and decorated the cake......and By Da JeZussssss she done an outstanding job

the picture doesn't do it justice dam thing is amazing

Old 07-19-2019, 06:32 AM   #185
Bus Crazy

The cake is amazing, and the shop.. not a speck of dust, and lots of room.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #186
Bus Nut

Quote:
The cake is amazing, and the shop.. not a speck of dust, and lots of room.
I agree on the cake.... the shop isn't as clean as it looks and it drives me how lazy some folks are. But I clean it every time I'm there and I take appropriately angle shots the room is nice for sure, a couple pieces of kit could have be positioned differently to able to run longer boards without added shenanigans

Old 07-19-2019, 08:32 AM   #187
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Byes das some nice twigs you are cranking out there....
Need some cake leveller on Tier 2

Impressive skills both of you!

John
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #188
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Nah, it's just parallax error.
That, or it's an Alice in Wonderland cake: The tiers look level in the mirror!
Tasty project, regardless!
Old 07-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #189
Bus Crazy

good solid construction on the bunks, and save me a piece of that cake !
Old 07-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #190
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
The cake does look great......but what I really want to see is more M&T work. Nobody builds like that anymore.

My tuque's off to ya.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #191
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Byes das some nice twigs you are cranking out there....
Need some cake leveller on Tier 2

Impressive skills both of you!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Nah, it's just parallax error.
That, or it's an Alice in Wonderland cake: The tiers look level in the mirror!
Tasty project, regardless!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
good solid construction on the bunks, and save me a piece of that cake !
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
The cake does look great......but what I really want to see is more M&T work. Nobody builds like that anymore.

My tuque's off to ya.
Thanks fellas, the cake was a smashing success for the wedding.
and I'm cranking out the second bunk bed today

I hear ya PLF its rapidly becoming a lost skill in larger projects

Old 07-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #192
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I'd tip my toque to you, but it's too tookin' hot to don one here in Texas!
No where near as purty, but I've done gone down the rabbet hole, for a few half-laps...
Maybe on my next bus, I'll try being a mite(r) more crafty!
Old 07-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #193
Bus Nut

try #2.....I attempted this lastnight and after writing it out it ghosted me...…

So....we have been whats known as "FLATOUT" getting ready for the move.. We've been busier than a one legged man in an @sskicking contest.
but the house is squared away and the bus is as done as she is going to be for her maiden voyage, we will pick at some stuff here and there during the trip no doubt but, short of loading the gear into her she is done.

The Boss Lady aka House Sergeant-Major came over to the shop with me a few days ago and knocked out all the sanding while I did the finish bits for the bunk beds and the prep of the lower cabinets.

then I slapped them back together inside the bus, which was a cramped clamping situation but it worked out.

I fashioned up a divider/footboard for the bunk adjacent to the kitchen, so that I could mount the cabinets and not have to fuss with them later (aside from the finish sanding)

concurrently between gluing I started working on the matching the cabinets to each other and prepping the slab of shuffleboard table I used for the countertop.

it wasn't deep enough to cover the shorter wider cabinet, and it is one single colour so I thickened it up and added some contrast. clamping was entertaining......

while I waited for that to setup I mounted the cabinets

I wish I had my large block planes with me...… but such is life we had to make a few more passes and employ the handheld belt sander a bit more than I usually like to, but she cleaned up fairly nice

my buddy and I laid it in for a dry fit, and so I could eyeball and confirm my backsplash plan would work.

we kind of redesigned the kitchen layout, originally I was thinking of having flush cabinets and using the dead space in the back as a water closet or something of that nature. Instead we now have a built in breakfast nook of sorts, and I have a food prep area we I can sit on a stool and then the counter height works for both me and the HSM.

I cleaned up some other odds and sods, banged out a temp bed platform out of scraps, so we can store things underneath the bed and test out the bed height and confirm we like the plan that we have.

the bus isn't as done as I would have liked but we will make the best of the space we have.

I saw a post the other day saying the fastest and cheapest conversion.....made me chuckle.....then it made me chuckle again when I bought that walnut..... that is the first piece of lumber outside of the 6/7 pieces of std 2x4 and the 8 sheets of T&G that I have bought...… All my lumber has only cost me time, fasteners and finish most of our bus is repurposed materials.
I finished off the backsplash last night, but it was late and super dark so you'll have to wait so see that... I'm hoping to have the bus cleaned up a bit and get some decent pics.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 AM   #194
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
try #2.....I attempted this lastnight and after writing it out it ghosted me...…

So....we have been whats known as "FLATOUT" getting ready for the move.. We've been busier than a one legged man in an @sskicking contest.
but the house is squared away and the bus is as done as she is going to be for her maiden voyage, we will pick at some stuff here and there during the trip no doubt but, short of loading the gear into her she is done.

The Boss Lady aka House Sergeant-Major came over to the shop with me a few days ago and knocked out all the sanding while I did the finish bits for the bunk beds and the prep of the lower cabinets.

then I slapped them back together inside the bus, which was a cramped clamping situation but it worked out.

I fashioned up a divider/footboard for the bunk adjacent to the kitchen, so that I could mount the cabinets and not have to fuss with them later (aside from the finish sanding)

concurrently between gluing I started working on the matching the cabinets to each other and prepping the slab of shuffleboard table I used for the countertop.

it wasn't deep enough to cover the shorter wider cabinet, and it is one single colour so I thickened it up and added some contrast. clamping was entertaining......

while I waited for that to setup I mounted the cabinets

I wish I had my large block planes with me...… but such is life we had to make a few more passes and employ the handheld belt sander a bit more than I usually like to, but she cleaned up fairly nice

my buddy and I laid it in for a dry fit, and so I could eyeball and confirm my backsplash plan would work.

we kind of redesigned the kitchen layout, originally I was thinking of having flush cabinets and using the dead space in the back as a water closet or something of that nature. Instead we now have a built in breakfast nook of sorts, and I have a food prep area we I can sit on a stool and then the counter height works for both me and the HSM.

I cleaned up some other odds and sods, banged out a temp bed platform out of scraps, so we can store things underneath the bed and test out the bed height and confirm we like the plan that we have.

the bus isn't as done as I would have liked but we will make the best of the space we have.

I saw a post the other day saying the fastest and cheapest conversion.....made me chuckle.....then it made me chuckle again when I bought that walnut..... that is the first piece of lumber outside of the 6/7 pieces of std 2x4 and the 8 sheets of T&G that I have bought...… All my lumber has only cost me time, fasteners and finish most of our bus is repurposed materials.
I finished off the backsplash last night, but it was late and super dark so you'll have to wait so see that... I'm hoping to have the bus cleaned up a bit and get some decent pics.
Great job - I like the idea of the shuffle board counter top
Old 07-29-2019, 05:40 PM   #195
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Very nice! I like to see good woodwork, probably because I am not a good woodworker. I am sure when everything is put together it will look wonderful.
JA Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #196
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Savage View Post
Very nice! I like to see good woodwork, probably because I am not a good woodworker. I am sure when everything is put together it will look wonderful.
thanks, not sure it will ever be fully finished

I'm not the greatest, just takes practice, patience and most importantly...…..
knowing how to hide the mistakes......

Old 08-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #197
Bus Nut

Well, we have made it to our new home and all is good. It will be a while before I get around to getting more work done on the bus. We did do a bunch of temporary work to make the trip more comfortable and liveable. this trip was also a blessing as it let us assess the things we had done and were working on.

The move saw the bus put on 2,500km over 8 days. She is no speed demon but she performed quite well overall.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #198
Bus Crazy

Glad the move went well. Any pictures of what the bus is looking like now that it is usable?

So do you still have access to the nice shop? Or building a new one?
Old 08-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #199
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Well, we have made it to our new home and all is good. It will be a while before I get around to getting more work done on the bus. We did do a bunch of temporary work to make the trip more comfortable and liveable. this trip was also a blessing as it let us assess the things we had done and were working on.

The move saw the bus put on 2,500km over 8 days. She is no speed demon but she performed quite well overall.

........................................... .........
Old 08-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #200
Bus Nut

Quote:
Glad the move went well. Any pictures of what the bus is looking like now that it is usable?

So do you still have access to the nice shop? Or building a new one?
Ish, I'm looking to see if we have a club at this base or not...... But between my father and I we have almost every tool we would need, we just don't have the floor space and dust collector.

She is useable'ish.......

I've started a trips thread

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f20/th...ynn-28331.html

But here is my temp dash setup and ODO from the initial trip, complete with my highspeed tablet mount........