Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Looking really good there Yukon. Great score on the fir also. She's gonna have some meat on her bones with that and the oak ply. You won't see many of those joints once you get at the interior finishing.
That shop is to die for and looks like you are a chip off the ole block with your dada and grandpa being woodworkers and I don't mean firewood cutters. They were likely good at that too.
Love the scenery and hope to get up one of these years, either by boat or bus.
Now question of the day..my Newfanese dictionary does not have the word BBrraappp in it at all. Can you translate that please. I must be the only one who doesn't understand. Sounds like a noise from a 2 cycle sled to me. Anyone else know?
I don't know about all that roof insulation though. Isn't the snow supposed to melt off so it don't land on buddy's windshield following you? Oh wait, no traffic up there for that to happen, ok, diggin on it now.

Keep up the good work bye!

Now that is boondockinn country folks. tell us about that gorgeous beach now Yukon, how long is it, I have forgotten. That's my #1 bucket list item.

John

Old 11-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by oredigger View Post
Looking really good. The bus, not the snow.

Just curious about the 2x4's attached to the ribs. Are they pressure treated or did you seal them with something to protect them?
I did not, the contact area's where metal meets wood is covered with PL premium, so no direct metal on wood.

I don't plan on using any other treatment. the expanding foam will be touch the third side, and the bottom surface with be wood on wood with a thin layer of wood glue for good measure.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
You are the MAN.

(...or, for our Canadian friends.......You are the MAN, eh?).

Will pick some up tomorrow and give it a whirl. Thank you very much for the info.
No worries a'tall and yes up here we would add the Eh, but more specifically to this area it would Eh B'y...

Old 11-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Looking really good there Yukon. Great score on the fir also. She's gonna have some meat on her bones with that and the oak ply. You won't see many of those joints once you get at the interior finishing.
That shop is to die for and looks like you are a chip off the ole block with your dada and grandpa being woodworkers and I don't mean firewood cutters. They were likely good at that too.
Love the scenery and hope to get up one of these years, either by boat or bus.
Now question of the day..my Newfanese dictionary does not have the word BBrraappp in it at all. Can you translate that please. I must be the only one who doesn't understand. Sounds like a noise from a 2 cycle sled to me. Anyone else know?
I don't know about all that roof insulation though. Isn't the snow supposed to melt off so it don't land on buddy's windshield following you? Oh wait, no traffic up there for that to happen, ok, diggin on it now.

Keep up the good work bye!

Now that is boondockinn country folks. tell us about that gorgeous beach now Yukon, how long is it, I have forgotten. That's my #1 bucket list item.

John
John,

BBrraapppp is more of a redneck term than a Newfie term.....Basically anything that has an engine and can be accompanied by the statement of "Hold my Beer and watch this" but yes it's derived from the sound a smokin 2 stroke makes...

and the beach you are referring to is it the Wanderstrands???

Thanks for the compliments it's nice to see some visual progress...

Old 11-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Bingo, the Wanderstrands Yukon! Ty I sure wanna walk that someday.

I'm just a wannabee from NS, now in Ont, but been to the rock on numerous occasions, no place like it or such great people either.

Won't hold ya up bye, so smokinn two stroke eh? Who'd a thunk that?

John
Old 11-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Quote:
Bingo, the Wanderstrands Yukon! Ty I sure wanna walk that someday.

I'm just a wannabee from NS, now in Ont, but been to the rock on numerous occasions, no place like it or such great people either.

Won't hold ya up bye, so smokinn two stroke eh? Who'd a thunk that?

John
It' a beauty piece of real estate, some pretty cool history there too.
Another gem, which tends to be out of most people's price range is the Torngats National Park up near the top of the territory. It's a gem I got up there for a work'ish trip was pretty sweet.

I'm actually a redneck from BC, but been all over with work.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
It' a beauty piece of real estate, some pretty cool history there too.
Another gem, which tends to be out of most people's price range is the Torngats National Park up near the top of the territory. It's a gem I got up there for a work'ish trip was pretty sweet.

I'm actually a redneck from BC, but been all over with work.

Well Yukon, we have something in common then , both rednecks.
I have heard about the Torngat Mtns. Actually I have a friend in Maine that takes his charter boat up in there every year, friggin awesome adventure but pretty spendy, however once in a lifetime voyage. I wanted to be his engineer aboard but couldn't get cleared for a work permit state side. Was going to take my boat but lost my wife and things didn't happen as planned. Still wanna see that beach and be a pretend Viking as I am sure they walked it many centuries ago, and it has not changed much. Might even take a dip if water isn't too bad, lol
I worked all over tramping as an electrician too in my day but retired now for 11 years.

John
Old 12-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
YC, don't take this the wrong way, but I've been thinking about you lately...

It has been cold here lately in Southern Maryland; mornings in the 20's, with day time highs around 40. Stop laughing...

I know that's shorts and t-shirt weather in the Great White North, but here in SOMD, without a heated garage or shop, using adhesives, paints, sealants, etc., is very challenging. I was wondering why you went with rigid foam versus spraying, but maybe that's it?
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Update: it's blizzard, a straight up nor'easter... It could stick. Schools will be closed tomorrow for sure.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:10 AM   #50
Skoolie

You have a sharp looking Gillig!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #51
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
YC, don't take this the wrong way, but I've been thinking about you lately...

It has been cold here lately in Southern Maryland; mornings in the 20's, with day time highs around 40. Stop laughing...

I know that's shorts and t-shirt weather in the Great White North, but here in SOMD, without a heated garage or shop, using adhesives, paints, sealants, etc., is very challenging. I was wondering why you went with rigid foam versus spraying, but maybe that's it?
CE, LOL I wears me shorts and me kilt well beyond the temps you mentioned lol. When I BBrraaappp, I only wear my hard shell rain gear.

But there was a couple reasons for the rigid foam,
cost; unfortunately in Canada we arbitrarily end up paying a minimum of 40% for the same products you folks get. (that's a whole separate rant) But where I live even further in the boonies things are even more expensive. So neither of the two hardware stores we have here stock the kits. And since both of them aren't nationally price regulated stores, special items tend to incur shipping costs. So it was a cost issue coupled with a temperature consistency issue.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:34 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Update: it's blizzard, a straight up nor'easter... It could stick. Schools will be closed tomorrow for sure.

By Da Jezus, least she's not blowin a gale.

When I lived on Vancouver Island similar type weather events to what you've described would occur. 1" of snow would cripple the town, shut down the schools and see 30 plus cars in various ditches...

Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Got some slabs prepped and ripped another heap of strips, gotta order my bead n cove router bits, and finish the last two windows worth of trusses and rigid foam board. I did one round of 2 cans worth of great stuff, I figure once I get them last two windows done in I should make a plan for the insulation layout in the fore and aft bulkheads. Then its trimming foam, routered edges and I'll be ready for a ceiling installation.

https://collaboration-airforce.force...%20Safety.aspx

Old 12-12-2018, 06:34 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Got some more slabs prepped and ripped another heap of strips, gotta order my bead n cove router bits, and finish the last two windows worth of trusses and rigid foam board. I did one round of 2 cans worth of great stuff, I figure once I get them last two windows done in I should make a plan for the insulation layout in the fore and aft bulkheads. Then its trimming foam, routered edges and I'll be ready for a ceiling installation.

(can one of the admins delete post 53, inserted the wrong link and didn't catch it in time)

Old 01-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Happy New Year all, hope every one had a good Christmas holiday.

Big post very picture heavy coming shortly

we had a cold snap from Christmas to New Year's, I'm looking after a sled for a buddy that he is trying to sell.... 4strokes..... plus cold......equals boosting a sled with your truck

but the Fronty goes where I point her.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #56
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
Happy New Year all, hope every one had a good Christmas holiday.

Big post very picture heavy coming shortly

Right back at ya Yukon, hope you had a great holiday. Sounds like you were working or playing, can't wait to see the update.

John
Old 01-06-2019, 10:21 AM   #57
Bus Nut

So as I creep closer and closer to being ready to skin the ceiling.
So me being me, I'm like a dog with a bone. I pick at this and at that, every time I think I'm ready for the ceiling I add just one more thing.....
So I was sitting in the bus the other day during our cold snap, it was -36C or -32F, it was -2C or 28F. Running off of 2500w of mini electric heaters, I'm pleased with that. Since the floor is still mostly bare metal, and I have some holes to close up still, and the drivers window needs to be sealed still.
So yesterday as I was getting ready to spray foam the last to sections of the roof around the foam board I broke out the IR temp gun to see what I'm actually getting from this.

Hoping this ramble makes sense and you can follow along as I feel temp control efficiency is super important. Especially for my intended uses, family road trips, hunting trips, camping (summer and late fall) Therefore for the House Sergeant Major (HSM) needs to be comfortable and warm without burning cash to do it.

ok onto the pics

Standard bus window

the doubled windows

Ayr Foil A2V reflective bubble wrap 8mm, just covering the windows for now

Wall skins, 3/4" oak ply over 2" foamboard

2" Foamboard in the ceilings

Metal truss gap, filled with a double layer of the Ayr Foil

Sprayed some excess foam above the main door

Temp readings around the door...29F on the roof skin

Foam on door frame

So a little extra detail and effort goes along way. granted the two be rows of windows as seen leak a heap of heat. However the HSM loves the natural light, so the windows stay, I do already have a plan for mitigating heat loss at times. I'm convinced that once the floor is closed up and insulated this rig won't be an energy hog to heat.

Another quite interested thing(wish I had taken a pic of it ) I pumped up the temp the other day with my propane buddy heater. I can keep the comfortable with relative ease with and I get no condensation, even when I'm working. However the second my buddy heater jumped the temp up, the windows glossed over and frost formed on the inside, of both the windows and the metal frames. Not a big fan of propane heat because of it being a "wet" heat. The interesting part though is if I turn the propane off and leave the electric heat on the frost goes away.

Anyway.....hopefully this helps people make sense of the real change they can make.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM   #58
Bus Nut

Quote:
Right back at ya Yukon, hope you had a great holiday. Sounds like you were working or playing, can't wait to see the update.

John
A little bit of everything, sledding, snares, drinking, lots of food, working on the bus..

Old 01-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #59
Bus Nut

and so it begins, the skinning of the ceiling is underway.
I revised my decision to router all the strips before installation for a couple reasons.
The router was eating up some of the strip due to the grain runs, and secondly acquiring the second bit needed for the other side has taken longer than I would have liked.
So but end joints it is, they are being glued and then air nailed. It's not the fastest installation ever. But I am getting good contact and even joints, plus I haven't done any sanding so it'll smooth out anyways.

poking around setting the line so I can crack on, however a few of my quick clamps have gone awol so the first few rows were a lil slower but now I have enough contact space with the ceiling that I can use my bar clamps as well

Next step is to fasten a clamping block to the radius portion of the roof so I can flip my quick clamps to pushers and use a mix of quick clamp and bar clamps. I will also be working both sides here pretty quick.

I been trying to mix the strips up as well, sexy grain swirls, clean straights, gouges and knots.

I may add some extra scrapes and gouges afterwards, depending on how long the install takes

Old 01-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Took a bit of a break today from the bus, the HSM and I haven't had a day off together in a bit. So we went for a picnic...… in true winter redneck fashion....Like Tim "The Toolman" Taylor would have....

Was a lengthy cruise, the pow is DEEP only a few birds on the go today. Was hoping for foxes, wolves or Lynx..... no joy

All in all good day, excellent company, my Missus is an awesome co-pilot.