Old 06-17-2016, 05:30 PM   #271
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
[QUOTE=thjakits;152662]Vlad,

I believe there is NO extension for pyrometers (unless you have the proper gear to re-calibrate). You buy them with the needed length of wire and that's how they are calibrated at the factory - if you use a given set, you HAVE to replace a broken wire with the same type and LENGTH or your readings become meaningless....

I agree on the Arduino (or Rasperry) approach, especially as you could use the same gadget for other uses! You can send LOADS of data and even control a few items back there
Thermocouples are simple but complicated.... i found a loads of information when I wanted to install pyrometer. There are 2 types of thermocouple wire one is thermocouple wire itself and second is thermocouple extention wire. I don't remember exactly how it all arranges but it is doable. I would rather use arduino and will probably go this way. Arduino is cheap, reliable, surer flexible, can be used as alarm.... it actually everything you want....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #272
Site Team

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Yep, thermocouples are calibrated with their lead resistance included as part of the sensor.

Something rather simple would be to use a linear analog converter, and a gauge with a selecting input that takes 5 volts. (the gauge linked below allows J & T thermocouple, RTD, Voltage, and mA)

Linearizing your thermocouple sensor makes a great fit with arduino style computers, since most of the DACs on those microcontrollers take a 3.3 or 5v analog signal converted to 10 bit digital.

Single Channel EGT Probe Amplifier Conditioner 0 to 5 VDC Analog Out

Mini Digital Pyrometer Gauge "SuperLite" with Peak Hold

You should also check out auber instruments, they have a lot of different components.

[QUOTE=Vlad;152668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thjakits View Post
Vlad,

I believe there is NO extension for pyrometers (unless you have the proper gear to re-calibrate). You buy them with the needed length of wire and that's how they are calibrated at the factory - if you use a given set, you HAVE to replace a broken wire with the same type and LENGTH or your readings become meaningless....

I agree on the Arduino (or Rasperry) approach, especially as you could use the same gadget for other uses! You can send LOADS of data and even control a few items back there
Thermocouples are simple but complicated.... i found a loads of information when I wanted to install pyrometer. There are 2 types of thermocouple wire one is thermocouple wire itself and second is thermocouple extention wire. I don't remember exactly how it all arranges but it is doable. I would rather use arduino and will probably go this way. Arduino is cheap, reliable, surer flexible, can be used as alarm.... it actually everything you want....
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #273
Skoolie

[QUOTE=aaronsb;152673]Yep, thermocouples are calibrated with their lead resistance included as part of the sensor.

Something rather simple would be to use a linear analog converter, and a gauge with a selecting input that takes 5 volts. (the gauge linked below allows J & T thermocouple, RTD, Voltage, and mA)

Linearizing your thermocouple sensor makes a great fit with arduino style computers, since most of the DACs on those microcontrollers take a 3.3 or 5v analog signal converted to 10 bit digital.

You should also check out auber instruments, they have a lot of different components.

I think I will try to go arduino way. Arduino has lots of cheap and great sensors and other things like this MAX6675 Type K Thermocouple Temperature Sensor Module Interface:
MAX6675 Type K Thermocouple Temperature Sensor Module SPI Interface for Arduino | eBay

Yes you can buy gauges, sensor extension... you can buy the whole RV but everything has it's price...

Once I used Arduino successfully to build automatic torque converter lock for my Dodge Ram. It was fun to build, fun to program and fun to use. It was under $10 all together and it was working the way I liked.

Also using Arduino I can build water/methanol injection controller for next to nothing. The same Arduino chip can be used to read pyrometer and if needed it can activate multistage water/methanol injection to get more power and cool EGTs

This is the video to watch:

Old 06-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #274
Site Team

Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Arduino boards have really democratised the use of embedded controllers. For my project's "process brains" I have a mega board and some multi channel relay boards.

They drive all the lighting in the vehicle, and collect all the sensors (tank levels, battery status, faults, closure indicators)

I am able to multiplex a single wire capacitive switch to control all the lighting. Basically I can use a single wire for a switch, and a single wire for lighting power with chassisn earth, and cross connect any behavior I want.

Have you looked much into the CAN bus shields? I picked up a few and have successfully sent test messages between devices, the test was to illuminate a led attached to the other devices on the bus at different pwm frequencies.

With small footprint controllers the possibilities are endless. I picked a pwm test because of the many things you can drive that way. Each controller device uses a small piece of state machine code to stay lean. Its been a learning experience, coming from "average" computers where I don't have to worry about saving my clocks.

[QUOTE=Vlad;152687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
Yep, thermocouples are calibrated with their lead resistance included as part of the sensor.

I think I will try to go arduino way. Arduino has lots of cheap and great sensors and other things like this MAX6675 Type K Thermocouple Temperature Sensor Module Interface:
MAX6675 Type K Thermocouple Temperature Sensor Module SPI Interface for Arduino | eBay

Yes you can buy gauges, sensor extension... you can buy the whole RV but everything has it's price...

Once I used Arduino successfully to build automatic torque converter lock for my Dodge Ram. It was fun to build, fun to program and fun to use. It was under $10 all together and it was working the way I liked.

Also using Arduino I can build water/methanol injection controller for next to nothing. The same Arduino chip can be used to read pyrometer and if needed it can activate multistage water/methanol injection to get more power and cool EGTs

This is the video to watch:

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #275

Year: 1976
Chassis: 36U Conventional Toy Hauler Garage
Engine: Cummins 8.3L Eaton 6sp manual
Rated Cap: not sure
Thumbs up Cant wait to see the final result of this build!

Hello Vlad,

I am new to this forum and I am equally impressed and inspired by your modifications to your bird.

My bus has some serious modifications done to it as well, but nothing compared to yours!

Im looking forward to your continued posts.
IronPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #276
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome conversion project! Can't wait for updates.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #277
Skoolie

We finally moved into our new house, which is of course not new but renovated by me....

As winter is coming I want to add extension to my garage and start working on the bus again... inside my own place. Last winter we rented a place for the bus and I could work a bit, but owners created too much hassle....

So just to remind I am not dead, bus is not dead, just too many things keep popping up and stealing all my "free" time....