Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #141
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
Did you have the bus suspension blocked up so you weren't leaning the entire chassis to one side? It seems to me like a half inch of drop might be more than expected given the rigid nature of the slide.

edit:

Awesome job, by the way. I'm proud to see you advancing the impression of school bus chassis coaches considerably.

No, I didn't block suspension and could feel bus leaning toward slide out a bit. In my case it didn't matter.

1/2" drop is not much considering 1000+ lb load on 2 pieces 2.5x2.5 square tubes at 48" distance. This was a necessary information for me but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Actually thinking about 1000+ lb I might be wrong. It is very hard to calculate because inside edge is parked on bus floor but water drums are as close to outside wall as I could only put them.

Anyways the whole purpose of this test was to make sure slide out will be functional when I add insulation put table/ chairs and couch inside.... I didn't count on people because nobody will be inside slide out while extending it.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #142
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
I'd like to suggest you avoid the contactor style interface for wiring in your slide and use a flexible cable track, kind of like this stuff:

1M 25 x 57 mm Plastic Cable Towline Tracks Flexible Cable for CNC Router Machine | eBay

I always see that sort of track in the CNC machines I use, so I assume it would last with many openings and closings.
I don't like using contacts either.... Contacts get dust, corrosion etc...

Another idea is to use retractable reel something like vacuum cleaners use. The reel can be hidden behind wall....

Probably the cheapest and easiest way is to have a short cord attached to the slide out edge and a receptacle secured to the bus wall. When slide out is in it will disconnect the cord and when slide out is out you just have to plug it in...
Old 03-30-2015, 06:25 PM   #143
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Maybe a coiled extension cord:

Flexy® Heavy Duty Coiled Extension Cord 10 Gauge 20 Amps - Extends From 14 In. To 20 Ft. - - Amazon.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I don't like using contacts either.... Contacts get dust, corrosion etc...

Another idea is to use retractable reel something like vacuum cleaners use. The reel can be hidden behind wall....

Probably the cheapest and easiest way is to have a short cord attached to the slide out edge and a receptacle secured to the bus wall. When slide out is in it will disconnect the cord and when slide out is out you just have to plug it in...
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #144
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Great build, you've got to be pleased with it so far.

I see you checking for load/weight for strength, function, etc. I don't get my project 'til June and would like to know.... Does the sheet metal floor/cross members have any strength without the plywood? Are the cross members just tin? Building a toy hauler for ATV's [2, 900lb machines] and trying to gain any inches I can without a roof raise. The shortest guy is 5'-10", everyone else 6'-1" to 6'-5". If the plywood has to go back in for strength , so be it. "Dog nose Thomas 6 foot inside"
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #145
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDD View Post
Great build, you've got to be pleased with it so far.

I see you checking for load/weight for strength, function, etc. I don't get my project 'til June and would like to know.... Does the sheet metal floor/cross members have any strength without the plywood? Are the cross members just tin? Building a toy hauler for ATV's [2, 900lb machines] and trying to gain any inches I can without a roof raise. The shortest guy is 5'-10", everyone else 6'-1" to 6'-5". If the plywood has to go back in for strength , so be it. "Dog nose Thomas 6 foot inside"
The floor is solid without plywood for people but you can feel how it flexes, cross members are different. Some are thin, some have extra steel angle. You can add extra cross members from the bottom if you really need to. 3/4" plywood is just much easier to make floor solid enough for "toys".

Roof raising is not a huge problem, but time consuming. In my case we plan to stay in RV for 3-6 month at the time. This is why I am adding slide outs.

If you want to use your rig occasionally, you can get away without roof raising.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 AM   #146
Bus Nut

1/2" doesn't sound like what you should expect from 1000lbs - isn't that 3" steel tubing? My deflection calculator says like 1/16". I'm wondering if it's just play from the bearings? You must have some small gap so they roll smoothly. To get a 1/2" drop at the end of a 3' lever you'd only need, what, a sixteenth of play at the inside end, right?

My small (only holds a couch) 6' slide-out in my current camper dips like 1" fully extended. They compensate kind of the way you described. The top flange is structural and pushes on the outside wall along the top. That makes contact first. The slide mechanism keeps going and pushes the bottom out until it compensates for the sag. It's a worm-gear driven system so once it's out it's locked, at least as far as the strength of the gear teeth can handle...
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 AM   #147
Bus Geek

Awesome job!

That's all I got for you
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #148
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskswap View Post
1/2" doesn't sound like what you should expect from 1000lbs - isn't that 3" steel tubing? My deflection calculator says like 1/16". I'm wondering if it's just play from the bearings? You must have some small gap so they roll smoothly. To get a 1/2" drop at the end of a 3' lever you'd only need, what, a sixteenth of play at the inside end, right?

My small (only holds a couch) 6' slide-out in my current camper dips like 1" fully extended. They compensate kind of the way you described. The top flange is structural and pushes on the outside wall along the top. That makes contact first. The slide mechanism keeps going and pushes the bottom out until it compensates for the sag. It's a worm-gear driven system so once it's out it's locked, at least as far as the strength of the gear teeth can handle...
The inner tubing is 2.5". It rolls out 48" The wall thickness is 1/4". I wanted to use 2" inner tube and 2.5 outer (2.5" fits under the floor without cutting the floor) but after trying to calculate drop by using some online calculators I decided to overkill and use 3" and 2.5" tubing.

Here you can see I had to cut the floor to fit outer tubes. They actually stick out about 1/2":

Also the guy who sold me aluminum had a bunch of 2.5" and 3" tubing for much cheaper (about 1/4 price) than metal supermarkets around.

The most important criteria for me is tubes must flex without bending.... .

In my case I will use aluminum flange made of 2"x2" angle and 4" flat riveted together. It can hold the whole bus if needed....

I am the person who can build indestructible tank but if I build an airplane it might never take off ..... , so it becomes a tank with wings.....
Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 PM   #149
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Well, you could meet halfway and build a ekranoplan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I am the person who can build indestructible tank but if I build an airplane it might never take off ..... , so it becomes a tank with wings.....
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 PM   #150
Bus Nut

Well, they have a rule with homebuilt airplanes: "If you want to know if you should put something in your plane, throw it in the air. If it falls back down, don't put it in the plane."

I'm kinda looking forward to the _somewhat_ greater weight capacity of a Skoolie.
taskswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #151
Skoolie

Quick slide out update

I finished insulation in slide out:

Covered walls with 1/4" plywood, PL premium glue, brad nails. I added 1"x4" temporary strips to help glue plywood straight without bubbles:

Covered the rest and trimmed windows using router and a window template:

Left side:

Right side:

Funny looking panorama:

There is a wire on left for light switch, up for light above dining table and straight lower for power outlet.
The 2x2 stick in the middle is temporary until I add inside flange.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:38 AM   #152
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
This may well be the most outstanding build ever on Skoolie! Beautiful craftsmanship Vlad.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #153
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD6-71T
Incredible job! It is going to be outstanding when finished.

Danville, California
https://www.transtraks.com
gmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:07 AM   #154
Skoolie

I keep finishing the slide out. Today I started installing windows. I bought double pane rv windows. I really like this windows. They have reflective finish, so it is more private. They have some labels from "American coach".

Here are some pics:

From inside. The inside flange is not installed:

From outside:

I used NP1 polyurethane sealant and stainless screws.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #155
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
This may well be the most outstanding build ever on Skoolie! Beautiful craftsmanship Vlad.
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #156
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bookmobile body by Farber
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: Navistar DT466/Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 1
Man, I can't wait to see this build finished. What a work of art.
PDBreske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #157
Skoolie

All windows in slide out are installed, sealed, cleaned. From now on I absolutely hate acetone.... had it too much today.....

I will install inside flanges later. I need few days for NP1 to dry out, then I will foam the gap between windows and slide out frame.

I also intalled one of the windows in front section of the bus:

Bus windows won't have inside flange because bus walls are much thicker than window. I left a small gap around the windows and fill it up with foam and sealant.

I really like how windows turned out ... lots of work but they look great.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #158
Bus Nut

Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Amazing work! Looks fantastic. I was looking at a link from a friends site and now that I see your work, there is something to compare the site to.
Welcome to SUNnFUN CRUISING | Sunnfuncruising
Scroll down and see the details to the inside. Vlad, your work is amazing! Keep the pictures coming!
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 AM   #159
Bus Nut

Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I think we should find one of these gatherings and show up with a bunch of skoolies. Crash their party.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #160
Skoolie

New Transmission cooler heat exchanger cheap

My bus has 2 heat exchangers. One is a transmission cooler and second is a hydraulic fluid cooler.

They both are very rusty and I have no idea how long they will last before start leaking.

I kept my eyes open checking eBay listings. I got a good deal on this 2 units:

Rocore Transmission Oil Cooler s 7063B Allison Blue Bird Military Brand New | eBay

I paid $130 USD + shipping for both which is not bad at all.