Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres a lot that goes into heatload calculations.. insulating and asa noted the shade of solar panels on the roof (make sure there is a little air spce under the panels.. shouldnt be an issue since bus roofs are curved and solar panels arent)..

WINDOWS are huge in heat loss / gain. the more windows you delete or cover up on hot days the easier it is to cool your bus. the more windows you delete or cover up the more dark, and drab your bus is inside.. it all depends on what you like.. me personally i like as bright of light as possible and therefore add A/C to keep me cool in that form. if you are willing and like it darker then you have an easier timne cooling as you have less windows..
consider mini-splits esp for solar as they dont have that surge on / off but slowly ramp up their power usage as needed.. and are much more efficient (BTU per watt) compared to rooftop camper A/C or window units.
-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Replaced the first 3 windows today with Duraplate. It was really easy and when painted I think it will look great. By using the Duraplate I did not have to do any reinforcing and there will be no ripples.

After removing the windows I cleaned up what little caulk there was. Layed down a thick bed of Sikaflex 221 and set the panel in place. Held it in place with a few scraps of angle iron. Lastly used the Sikaflex to put a smooth bead of caulk around the outside to leave it ready for paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #63
Bus Nut

A while ago I asked if anyone knew of a reason to not remove these annoying vents for the engine. I decided to just go for it and move the vents to the engine access doors. It was far easier then I thought it would be (so far). The cover was just screwed on and came off pretty easy after drilling out some stripped screws. I cut it up and reused the steel to make a simple cover for the hole. The exterior patch will be done with some new steel cut to fit.

I will post photos of the exterior when I get the steel and install it.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #64
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Not so sure on that mod. Those look like huge air intakes. Those aren't small vents.

Rear engine buses are known to have cooling challenges due to the low pressure pocket. Keep an eye on the thermostat and save the tin.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Not so sure on that mod. Those look like huge air intakes. Those aren't small vents.

Rear engine buses are known to have cooling challenges due to the low pressure pocket. Keep an eye on the thermostat and save the tin.
The new vents will be much larger with air scoops on the side to force air into the engine compartment.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #66
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
The new vents will be much larger with air scoops on the side to force air into the engine compartment.
Oh, good. I really like your bus- looks very solid. Will be nice to have that flat.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1970
Engine: Chevy 350
Looks like a great start so far. I think it'll be fun watching yours come together!

I mainly want to point out my appreciation for how you're replacing some of the windows without making it look janky, the material you're using keep it looking clean. When we bought our school bus it just had tin riveted over a lot of the windows and nothing to hide them on the inside... it looked just dumb. It took a lot of drilling and will require some patchwork but I was relieved when we got them off.

I always think of how it's a school bus and it always looks funny when people try to hide windows... it never looks quite right. It looks like you found the perfect medium.
TheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #68
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKoolBus View Post
Looks like a great start so far. I think it'll be fun watching yours come together!

I mainly want to point out my appreciation for how you're replacing some of the windows without making it look janky, the material you're using keep it looking clean. When we bought our school bus it just had tin riveted over a lot of the windows and nothing to hide them on the inside... it looked just dumb. It took a lot of drilling and will require some patchwork but I was relieved when we got them off.

I always think of how it's a school bus and it always looks funny when people try to hide windows... it never looks quite right. It looks like you found the perfect medium.
From the beginning we have accepted the fact that it is a bus. We get lots of interesting comments from friends and family but I always say wait until it is finished.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:30 AM   #69
Bus Geek

it does look nice and clean!! but yeah its a bus.. to me thats part of the cool-factor.. to know it was once a bus and you converted it.. rather than spent a million bux on a prevost... a nice clean looking BUS conversion shows that you built it and took the care to make it look nice.. but also didnt waste time making it look like a factory RV.. way to go and keep up the good work!
-Christopher
Old 09-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #70
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 72
do you plan on keeping the included ac ac and/or heat.
syntel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #71
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntel View Post
do you plan on keeping the included ac ac and/or heat.
Currently the A/C is not working but lucky for me my neighbor is a retired HVAC guy. He thinks he can get it going and if so I will be keeping it. The bus came with a Webasto heater so I plan on keeping that but I might change out the 2 large heat exchangers for several smaller ones.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #72
Skoolie

But that only works while the engine is running?
Old 09-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #73
Bus Geek

Quote:
that A/C is for driving in most cases. you needmuch more BTU to cool the bus while driving. (Huge front windows, lots of engine heat in a conventional or FE (not so much in RE).. lots of hot wind rushing by the bus.. air infiltration..

having 2 systems with as much larger driving system seems to work the best.. though its more rare.. plenty here either tough it out with the windows open or run their generators and their parked A/C's to help take the edge off while driving.

-Christopher
Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #74
Bus Nut

Quote:
The AC only works while the bus is running but the Webasto will work with or without the bus running.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #75
Bus Geek

has anyone actually used their webasto ? i have one i bought new in the box and never bothered to even open up let alone install.. just wondered how they actually work in really cold weather.

-Christopher
Old 09-09-2017, 08:31 AM   #76
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
has anyone actually used their webasto ? i have one i bought new in the box and never bothered to even open up let alone install.. just wondered how they actually work in really cold weather.

-Christopher
I am allergic to cold weather so I am not planning on finding out how cold a Webasto can handle. Ideally I would like to find a way to use a heat exchanger to use it as an on demand hot water heater. As of yet I have not dedicated enough brainpower to find out how to make that happen.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #77
Bus Geek

Quote:
I am allergic to cold weather so I am not planning on finding out how cold a Webasto can handle. Ideally I would like to find a way to use a heat exchanger to use it as an on demand hot water heater. As of yet I have not dedicated enough brainpower to find out how to make that happen.

me too on cold weather.. I also tend to be driving my bus ratherthan parked.. but there are times which I marathon road trip and get sleepy.. so i stop to sleep for a few hours.. in summer I have to leave it run for the Air-Conditioner.. would be nice to not need to let it run for heat... or to rig up a webasto as a form of "remote start" where I would use my connected-network to activate my webasto and warm up the bus without running the engine.
you can get a heat exchanger pretty easily.. many people running Biofuel use them to keep their fuel temperature stable..

B3-12A 40 Plate Heat Exchanger with M5-.08 Mounting Studs [HX1240] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

-Christopher
Old 09-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #78
Skoolie

Quote:
I just purchased 3 dent and scratch sheets of Duraplate (google it). This is what I am using to replace the windows that I do not need. It is AMAZING stuff designed by Wabash National Trailer. They use it for the structural sides on semi trailers. It concist of a sheet of HDPE sandwiched between 2 sheets of treated and painted steel.
Where did you get the Duraplate from?
Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 AM   #79
Bus Nut

Quote:
Where did you get the Duraplate from?
It is manufactured by Wabash National a semi trailer company located just a few miles from my house. Ironically I didn't get it from them. I bought them from a local semi trailer repair business, 360 Fleet Maintenance. I paid $32 for a 4x9 sheet of scratch and dent. I can get you contact info if needed. You should be able to get it close to you from a semi trailer repair business.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #80
Bus Nut

Today I picked up some custom bent 16g steel to patch the holes in the floor. The second picture is approximately where one of the pieces will end up.