Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #21
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Here's the only roof raise I've found that was done below the windows. I think it looks great.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/ro...14-a-9478.html

What's up? Welcome to the party.
Totally what I want to do. That looks incredible. Just looks like a giant School Bus. Thanks a lot man, I'm totally set on that.

El tanke, that looks so good! I can't wait to see your build thread, I will definitely be following. You might not be able to yet do to post count. I'm not totally sure about that but I think I try to start a thread at three to five posts and it disappeared right after posting it

Ig gypsybirdbus
Wutm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
That looks great!
I think the thread not working has to do with your post count. I believe there's a minimum post count to be able to start a thread. You know, to keep spambots from starting threads about how to make your johnson bigger and stuff.
Man if I could make the Johnson bigger on my dinghy I'd be in heaven.
El Tanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wutm8 View Post
El tanke, that looks so good! I can't wait to see your build thread, I will definitely be following. You might not be able to yet do to post count. I'm not totally sure about that but I think I try to start a thread at three to five posts and it disappeared right after posting it
Thanks, I'll keep cracking wise til teacher says I'm good enough to write on the chalkboard.

Adam
El Tanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tanke View Post
Man if I could make the Johnson bigger on my dinghy I'd be in heaven.

You could change the crank and turn it into a Johnson stroker.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #26

Where in CO did you buy your bus?? We have been looking for a 40ft pusher
Tatertot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatertot1 View Post
Where in CO did you buy your bus?? We have been looking for a 40ft pusher
It was a private seller but I'm pretty sure he has another. I'll check with him and if so send you a message

Ig gypsybirdbus
Old 02-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #28
Skoolie

Only had about 4 hours to work on the bus yesterday but was able to get out a full row of seats myself and a few on the other side, hoping to have the rest of the seats out and the floor up by Friday so this weekend I can work on getting the side panels and ceiling down. The big news though, I have someone meeting me at the bus tonight just start plans for the roof raise! Things should start going fast from here. Hoping to get about 4 to 6 hours each day in to work on the bus

Ig gypsybirdbus
Old 02-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #29
Skoolie

If any of you guys are on Instagram post a link so I can check it out. Looking for new things folks to follow from here. I'm gypsybirdbus at the moment

Ig gypsybirdbus
Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #30

El Tanke... How much did the roof raise run you?? I'm seriously thinking about doing it under my windows.. my hubby and I are fairly tall and I'd like to have a smudge more room so it feels a little more open..
Old 02-20-2017, 11:30 AM   #31

Quote:
It was a private seller but I'm pretty sure he has another. I'll check with him and if so send you a message
Thank you! That would be awesome!! Hubby has put me in charge of finding the bus since I've done a serious amount of research.. just having trouble finding a good 40 ft for us... we've got to have that since our furry pack of 5 will be joining us.. lol
Old 02-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #32
Skoolie

I've got about 4 seats left and they are all hanging on one single bolt over the wheel wells. Can't really get vice grips underneath and it's taking a long extension just reach the bolt which continues to spin. Had the rest of the seats out about 10 minutes of peace. Getting ready to just pull out the angle grinder and turn those seats in to scrap!

Ig gypsybirdbus
Old 02-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #33
Bus Nut

I had a couple seats that I couldn't get to the nuts on the underside to get a wrench on them. (Namely the ones right above the fuel tank.)

I found that by sticking a pry bar between the leg of the seat and the floor, I was able to put enough pressure on the nut to hold it still while I backed the bolt out with an impact driver.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
i went the axle grinder route, chopped off the heads and then grinded them down until i could punch the rest of the bolt out with a punch and hammer

I'm late to the party, but.. you need a bigger hammer! Really. A 4 pound mini-sledge will make your wrist/forearm sore, but it'll shear bolt and rivet heads much easier. The extra mass helps one avoid the temptation to really wallop hard to compensate for an under-weight hammer.

Quote:
Another note about respirators... There are a whole bunch of different kinds of filters with different ratings that can be attached to the mask part of the respirator. The two most common kinds are a rectangular plastic box and a round pink fabric disc. The rectangular box kind is a dust filter. They work great for grinding, sanding, etc. The pink fabric kind is rated for dust as well as chemical fumes.
In the MSA brand, at least, it's the other way around. The pink discs are the P100 (particle) filter and the various cartridges are for organic vapors and lots of other awful things (chlorine, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen fluoride, etc). I find their Advantage LS 200 half-mask to be a good comfortable fit and affordable, too..
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #35
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
I'm late to the party, but.. you need a bigger hammer! Really. A 4 pound mini-sledge will make your wrist/forearm sore, but it'll shear bolt and rivet heads much easier. The extra mass helps one avoid the temptation to really wallop hard to compensate for an under-weight hammer.

In the MSA brand, at least, it's the other way around. The pink discs are the P100 (particle) filter and the various cartridges are for organic vapors and lots of other awful things (chlorine, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen fluoride, etc). I find their Advantage LS 200 half-mask to be a good comfortable fit and affordable, too..
That was my only hammer and I was trying to keep cost down being that I assumed they'd be 30ish dollars... nope! 7 dollars for a mini sledge at harbor freight I still have a row to go so I'll pick one up. Thank you for the info. While I remember I'm going to look for a decent respirator on Amazon tonight

Ig gypsybirdbus
Old 02-21-2017, 10:11 PM   #36
Skoolie

Quote:
I had a couple seats that I couldn't get to the nuts on the underside to get a wrench on them. (Namely the ones right above the fuel tank.)

I found that by sticking a pry bar between the leg of the seat and the floor, I was able to put enough pressure on the nut to hold it still while I backed the bolt out with an impact driver.

That's good thinking man. Wish I had read that before I went in today. Managed to get them out by using a socket extender from below and then Vice gripping them from the top

I didn't have much time tonight but ended up getting the two hard ones out and I have only 2 others. I'm going to go in from 6 a.m. to 9 am tomorrow and get the rest of the seats out and hopefully get some of the floor up.

Had a welder come out today regarding the roof raise and he's going to have a quote for me tomorrow, I'm thinking I want to go about 24 inches from below the windows hopefully that will put the windows at a decent spot but I haven't measured that out yet. I will do all the cutting and lift myself as well as putting in the new sheet metal so I'm hoping it's not too expensive and I can fit it in my budget. Pic from tonight's work!

Ig gypsybirdbus
Old 02-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post

You really had me doubting myself for a second there.

I went and looked up 3M cartridges, since that's what we used at the granite shop I used to run. The first of the round, pink fabric filters I found just now was only P100, but I found the ones we used to use which were organic vapor rated. And then I found the rectangular box cartridges that were only P100, and some others that looked identical which were organic vapor rated.

Long story short, don't go by what they look like, just make sure they're organic vapor rated. Evidently 3M makes multiple different filter lines and they all come in either P100, organic vapor, or gas ratings. And some are also only P95.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Wow, 24" is a big roof raise. That's going to put the bottom of the windows roughly where the top of them is currently.

And be careful with those windows!

Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 PM   #39
Skoolie

Quote:
Wow, 24" is a big roof raise. That's going to put the bottom of the windows roughly where the top of them is currently.

And be careful with those windows!

I'm afraid it might put the windows in an odd spot, I imagine in the kitchen I'm going to want to put some more windows a bit lower... sadly my imagination isn't great so it's going to be a Gamble.

Ig gypsybirdbus
Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Quote:
... thats what happens when you let your 3 year old daughter name the bus. my daughter is named after a bird, nick named bird and her mothers always been called gypsy.... thus the name. I dont have a better idea, but i am still determind to change her mind before this is all over, if it was up to me... it would be bus.. or the bus

1997 bluebird tc2000 8.3l, we have 3 months to get it all done... well i..i have 3 months, as i'll be the one doing the conversion. this will be our new home, a brain condition, a fww surgeries and 2 years out of work have made this a necessity.... lucky for me we are all super stoked about it. plan to go from state to state working seasonal jobs. have a few lined up which is good news but if anyone has any recommendations for a family of 6 ( me, my daughters mama, my devil child, 2 pits and a cat) let me know! ill use this thread to document the conversion. i have no skills, no nun chuck skills... no ninja skills... to help in this, so ill do what i can and hire help for the things i cant figure out. So feel free to give me tips if you think of any. i i think we have a reasonable budget and should be able to have a pretty comfy place in the end.

i picked the bus up from colorado a few days ago, a 79 tc2000 40' ft bluebird.

first pic is me and my uncle in grand junction, i stopped by to see him and my aunt on my way to phx

near vail

moab ut

Nice Moab pics...I miss that place a lot... sweet bus
Evolutionmoonbus is offline   Reply With Quote