Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All Canadian
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: A hippie with a not-so-minivan

Bansil...

Getting the rivets off (option 2) and being able to re-use the shelves and brackets is the plan that I want to take, I just cant get my tools in there. Seeing how the shelf is so close to the ceiling. It also doesn't help that I am short and have short arms. It is a very awkward place.

Jake, at least I am getting the hang of this if it is the same route you would have taken also...

I am really going to know this bus inside and out when I am done... lol

Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #62
Bus Geek

Can you put a tape measure up?
It looks like plenty of room for a drill or small grinder.....
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Bansil, I stand corrected...

When the shelf is still completely riveted.. It is less that I don't have enough room for the tools but more that my short arms and well... my chest... don't allow me enough room... lol

I went in after supper and realized that I had a most of the front rivets off but where there was an overlap, the rivets were still holding the shelf. Once I got that last pair of front rivets separated, the shelf came down more and I was able to access the back ones. They came off quite easily

A bit too easily.

I asked one of the kids to go get my husband so that he could support the shelf while I did the last rivets and he sent a message back that he was finishing up the kitchen. Was I smart enough to wait for him? Of course not!

I went ahead and once they heard a loud boom coming from the bus as the section fell to the floor on one side... then they all ran out of the house.

After ungluing some of the carpet glue and popping a few last rivets left between the section, That section is now down on the floor with brackets intact

I also realized that with winter coming... I need a good light source!
Old 10-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #64
Bus Geek

good to hear they came down...my wife has same problems (dang things get in the way all the time)
Old 10-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #65
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Haha!! Glad you got them down. Next time he'll probably come out to help you sooner, lol!!

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #66
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye
I also realized that with winter coming... I need a good light source!
I hear you, I like to come home and get some things done each day after work. The evening time is getting shorter each day.

I need to hurry up and get my roof done so I can work in the comfort of the inside.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Hello everyone!!

Well, I am back and we are finally started in the bus again... This winter was tough and I just did not get in there and we lost our groove. It sucks but it happened.

I have someone coming for the AC units and to get rid of the Freon on Saturday and then we have a friend coming over to help give us a hand also.

Right now, the floor in mostly out except for the floor next to the motor and under the Drivers seat. I would love tips on how to deal with that and understand if those big bolts are holding the motor up or what. If you had a FE what did you do?
The luggage racks are almost all the way out. Just need to get the AC out to finish getting them out.

Our next move it to get the metal floor clean, plug up the holes get them sanded and then rust proof. After that the insulation and Plywood will go in.

We are still hesitating on the ceilings. They are ugly and with tons of holes but the insulation is great. I also want to keep the speakers and Lights. So I am actually thinking that instead of taking them out I might just cover them with a very thin particle board. Anyone do that? What do you think?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #68
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I also have a 1992 with the Transair ac. One is mounted in the rear above the exit and the other is mounted in front above the driver. Just like you, I found my compressor was no longer attached to the motor and tied up under the bus. I hooked up my ac manifold and checked to see if there was any freon on board. Both units are empty. Both units also have outside units bolted to the underside in the skirt area. 4 bolts and they will be disconnected. I am using caution as I hope to resell the units on ebay or something. The inside units are also held on by four 9/16 bolts. Take the phillips screws out and the plastic cover will come off. You should easily see the four bolts attaching it to the bus. There are 4 other bolts holding the copper lines on. I believe they are 7/16. They will be easy to disconnect. The hard part will be supporting the unit while unbolting and then lowering to the ground/floor.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #69
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Kenny... One of My A/C's still works so I am pretty much guessing that there is Freon in both. Once I got all of the ducts out I could see how it is put together and you are right.. it looks simple to heavy.

We have a guy coming tomorrow to empty them and help dismantle (and fix my car AC also) so hopefully we will be done with that for good afterwards.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #70
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9

I worked this week end on pulling the units out. If you are not planning on trying to sell its a pretty simple job to remove. You will need the following tools: 9/16 deep socket, 1/4 drive socket or nut driver, 7/16 socket, 3/8 socket, phillips head, 7/8 open end, 1 1/4 open end, 1 1/16 open end. Under the bus you will find the hoses and wire harnesses routed down the center and sides of the frame of the bus. Close to 60 hose clamps were on mine. these will have to be removed. There is a control center mounted to the back of the battery box as well with a few wires running inside to the battery. I suggest these get disconnected first to eliminate any shorts later.

to remove the inside units remove the phillips head screws around the shroud at the top only. On the bottom in the center. This will drop the shroud. Next you will see two copper lines at the rear and on the left of the condenser. These two lines will need to be disconnected. One uses a 7/8 open wrench and the other an 1" 1/16. once these are disconnected then the wire harness can be unplugged from the fan controller located between the two rat cage fans. Once you are disconnected you can loosen the 4 roof mount bolts. These require the 9/16 deep socket. They are carriage bolts so you shouldn't need to hold the roof side. I took 2 off completely ( one from each side) then went side to side loosening the others. When they were close to being done, I called my wife over to support the unit and removed the rest. I could have done it solo using a 2x4 to hold it up. The unit weighs about 50 to 60 lbs so its manageable. Once on the floor you can remove the white hose covers using the 1/4 drive socket. We put ours on the drill.

The real bear was un-strapping the hoses under the bus and feeding it back out from over and under everything they routed it to or by. Each a/c unit has its own compressor mounted to the left and right of the engine. You will need the 1 1/4 and 1 1/16 to disconnect them. This took a while for me because it is tight quarters.

The exterior condensers were a simple job. They use the 7/8 and 1 1/4 wrench to disconnect the hose. I then cut the wires at the unit where they had been spliced in at the factory. Removed the lower screws of the honeycomb cover on the outside and then 4 9/16 bolts. I supported them with a big block of wood and a floor jack lowering them to the ground.

Sounds easy, but it takes time. It took me about 4 hours using an air ratchet and my wife handled all the covers and getting the hoses and drain tubes routed out the bus.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 PM   #71
Mini-Skoolie

We had someone come and take care of the AC because of the Freon... which some of which then went into our car because we were missing some. The guy was great and took the units with him to sell them for parts and we will trade that for more work on the engine a little later. He also said that he thinks we could probably get our Espar unit (Webasto) to work... and if that is the case then I will be very happy!

We also had another friend come over on Sunday. Ludovic is a old cadet/high school friend of mine.. The last time I saw him he had offered to help us out.

He is more into carpentry but having his help on Sunday kept us going and he was a great bit of help to finish dismantling the rest of the AC that was disconnected, getting the last of the floors out, getting the last traces of the luggage racks out and getting the drivers seat out and then we spend Saturday cleaning and finishing up some last things and now we have a clean slate (well except for the heaters which are still there....

Next on the list...

- Sand a bit of the rust
- Clean the floors again
- Put on Rust Converter
- Prime the Floors
- Insulate
Old 05-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #72
Bus Geek

Good too hear, and you have what?3 months on inspection!
..chop.....chop
Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Good too hear, and you have what?3 months on inspection!
..chop.....chop
Ack no! Though I would love to be able to get it done in that!

We can go get it on the road at any time though. The inspection was mechanical and was only because it came from out of province and was good for a year so all I have to do is go and pay for the plates that I already have on it and then I can take it off the road again (storage).

It is already licensed as an RV so they won't have to see it again
Old 05-21-2014, 03:51 AM   #74
Bus Geek

Cool, fire that puppy up and head south