Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 03:02 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: Cat 3208
Rated Cap: 84 px
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nebuchadnezzar View Post
If you haven't already make sure you read Handy Bob's RV solar blog, there is a lot to know to get solar working well on an RV: https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
THIS is what I have been looking for!

Thank you, Sir!

Old 09-23-2015, 04:23 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtran
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
You're welcome, I'm working on my solar install now as well.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: B700
Engine: 5.9L 12V Cummins
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger
holy crap that guy is long winded.

Looks like from his words, I've made a few mistakes.

worst of all, I got the MPPT 40a Charge Controller....oh no!

All kidding aside, I'm not that worried about it. The guy I'm buying it from has been boondocking with this system for 8 years.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 09-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #64
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nebuchadnezzar View Post
Good call, I think . I bought one too a while back. Haven't installed it yet because I'm still building but I think it will work out well, good luck.
I am sure you will get to it once it gets a bit cold.
CaptainInsaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 PM   #65
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRflip View Post
holy crap that guy is long winded.

Looks like from his words, I've made a few mistakes.

worst of all, I got the MPPT 40a Charge Controller....oh no!

All kidding aside, I'm not that worried about it. The guy I'm buying it from has been boondocking with this system for 8 years.

Cheers,

Matt
Tiny gods yes he is long winded, but clever and very knowledgeable.

Re read it all again, all of it.

He isn't opposed to the mmpt he just feels that the money could be better spent else where, like more batteries or more panels. He doesn't get into the fact that if you are using higher input voltage panels (over 20V) you should be running an mmpt. BUT since you have one use it!
Old 09-24-2015, 04:40 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Really the only other issue he has with my setup is that I'm using 10ga wire between the panels and the charge controller. 4ga for everything else. Honestly, it's a risk I'm willing to take. If I can't run what I plan to run off of his deal, then I'll work something else out. I'll know in pretty short order and don't plan to cover up any of my infrastructure until I know it's 100%. I'll be living with ugly walls for a month or so, nbd.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #67
Bus Nut

The 10ga is plenty big enough there. It is after the charge controller that you need to go real big and short.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Agreed: if the PV array were low-voltage (12v panels in parallel for example) heavy wire would be important. But if you have higher-voltage panels and wire them in series for an array voltage of say 60+ volts, you can get away with smaller wire between array and controller.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #69
Bus Nut

and with the mppt controller you can handle it too.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:29 PM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

We'll see when the boxes start to show up.

Also, new today:

Ordered one of these:

3 Burner Drop-In Cooktop, Stainless top - Suburban 2938AST - Counter & Stove Tops - Camping World

one of these:

Aquajet Variable Speed RV Water Pump, 5.3 GPM - Husky 27558 - Fresh Water Pump Accessories - Camping World

And one of THESE:

EccoTemp Indoor Tankless Water Heater 45-HI- Liquid Propane - Eccotemp 45H-LP - Water Heaters - Camping World

It was all the willpower I had not to order a propane fridge, as thats the last essential on my list...so, itll have to wait until I've got the chance to check my CC balance and probably make a payment.

The other thing I really want is this: ECOJOHN Portable Incinerating Toilets

I'm going to call and get the specs for size and vent placement, then build a regular bucket toilet to use in its place until I can really afford it. I'll size the toilet room big enough and run power to it so I can just slap this thing in when it arrives...hopefully sometime this spring.

anyways, thats it for now. A local bluegrass band is playing in town and Warren Miller Films is going to be there. So, I'm going to get housed and try to make it into a ski film while listening to my favorite local band.

If you guys/gals are into bluegrass, they're definitely worth a listen: Chain Station

you can find them on spotify for those inclined...

until next time,

Matt
Old 09-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Love some bluegrass.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Another day for me, started around 10am and called it quits at 5:30ish. Since the bus is across town and I'm typically drinking while I work, I decided to haul ass and clean up so I can sit around the fire with some friends tonight.

First thing I did was go over to the place where I bought my bus, there is a twin there that is being donated to the local FD. I got a call from the chief last week and he told me I could take whatever I wanted from it as long as it was still realistic for when they used it for training.

I started taking windows out but, only got one as all the seats are in the way and the screws are way more difficult than they were on mine. I'm going to go back either tomorrow or next weekend with my angle grinder and just cut them out. I'm sure the chief won't mind.

New today:

Finished metal treatment, then scrubbed the interior with an HD brillo pad and the hardest simple green they make. Then rinsed everything out good and broomed what standing water was left. I'm pretty happy with the results. There's always going to be a little residue, sand, debris, etc. but I decided that I just will never get EVERYTHING out. And there's no point in trying since the windows are out and I'm sure my roof still leaks.

I let that dry overnight and hit it this morning, I got some silicone "construction sealant" that seems to be bonding to the metal pretty well. I went along the interior perimeter of the bus, then went back and filled up every hole I could find. Another evening when it's dark out, I'll take a work light under the bus and look for other holes...but, for today I did my best. I know I should have patched some with metal, but the sealant seemed to fill the gaps really well. If I go back in a few days and see that the sealant has dripped through and opened up a gap, I'll just use the couple pieces of galvanized I have laying around to cover them. I don't want/need to cut out and replace big hunks of sheet metal...I just don't see the point.

Here's a picture of my dog in my buddy's shower. I don't know why he went in there but he seemed really happy, and maybe evil.

After/while the sealant dried, I started painting the ribs on the roof. This to me has been the least satisfying and unproductive part of the entire project. The sad part is, there is still a ton to do. I'm not a big "ask for help" kinda guy....for two reasons: 1. they never do anything to my standards or without needing assistance every 5 minutes. 2. Then you owe them a favor...this might be something I need to get over. But, as long as I can remember I've always tried to just do things myself.

I went ahead and used some of the spilled paint to hit the floor while I was at it.

All in all, pretty productive Saturday, and it marks a milestone in my build: NO MORE DEMO! I can't tell you how excited I am about that.

Photobucket is being a PITA right now, will post photo's after it starts acting right.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 09-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #73
Mini-Skoolie

Pictures as promised:

More painting today...
Old 09-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #74
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Beautiful work.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #75
Mini-Skoolie

Why are you painting the ribs? Is it just for rust conversion/prevention?
ArmyChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #76
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChap View Post
Why are you painting the ribs? Is it just for rust conversion/prevention?
I'm not painting just the ribs, I'm painting the entire inside of the bus. For several reasons. Rust conversion/prevention is one of them. But, I also want my insulation to make good contact with a solid clean surface. No better way in my mind than a fresh coat of paint. It also acts like a bit of a seal, keeping SOME moisture out.

Additionally, I like the way it looks. I'm tired of looking at the metal. The only downside with going black, is now the bus is starting to look like an angsty teenagers bedroom.

more work today:

Cheers,

Matt
Old 09-29-2015, 12:05 AM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

More work tonight, but no pictures of it.

In an effort to get the best seal possible for when I put the windows back, I spent the evening scraping the window sills with a gasket scraper, then going back over it with sand paper by hand. It was pretty tedious and didn't look like a whole lot of progress, but I know this will help in spades when I go to reinstall the new window seals and caulk around them. It was a job I'd been putting off, but the windows need to start going in this weekend so no more procrastinating.

I did receive a few packages today though, so that's exciting:

Also, here's a picture of my dog. He's pissed because he doesn't have a soft spot to lay down and it's way past supper time for him:

Welp, until next time,

Matt
Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

Today was a good, albeit frustrating day in my bus world.

It's been wet and cold in Estes for the last two days...last night I went drinking.

Today, I started work early so I could leave a little early and not feel bad. That and I was tossing and turning trying to remedy my new battery box problem. After contacting a guy today about some Tuffy slide out drawers for $200 (still a good deal, they're just overkill for my needs), I decided come hell or high water I was going to find a better way.

While I was thinking about this, I carried a small arsenal of tools over to bus #13, my bus's evil twin (mine is #12, but they're identical in every way) to take the good windows out. I ended up getting 7 off of that bus, as most of them were in worse shape than mine.

In doing this, I was walking around the bus thinking of any other piece I could take that would be useful to my build. Low and behold, I walked around and saw #13's battery box, same as mine only a bit rustier. So, I took out the angle grinder and the cold chisel and got to work. This thing was an unbelievable pain in the ass to remove without destroying completely....but I got it.

I'm going to mount it directly next to the factory battery box. By the time I'm done, it should look like it belonged there the entire time...hopefully.

Pictures from today:

I've been on a Dave kick recently...

See you around the neighborhood, Mrs. Robinson,

Matt
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

no real updates. I've been taking windows apart, picking out the good parts, and giving them a good scrub. I counted everything up and I was short two good plastic tabs for the slide mech on the windows.

Went and got two more broken windows to rob the plastic tabs out of. Should have the mechs installed and will start putting windows back together tonight.

I'll take some pictures tonight, but it's just going to be parts of windows.

you guys like that stuff, right?
Old 10-05-2015, 06:54 PM   #80
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Feed the dog, then get back to your great work!!!