Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: Adventure Awaits!

Nice trip pics! I'd be willing to bet that it would come out as more than a grand for 4300. I did 3500 last summer but it didn't cost me a dime since I was running veg. Two months travel filled with putting money into the trip not into the drive. Nothing makes a bus run smooth like burning out all the old Dino-deposits. Looks like it was a rad trip keep it up!
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

yeah, you are probably right. We didn't keep very good track of expenses. We can look up most of it, but our buddy paid for some too.
It definitely is a moving argument for WVO. I have been thinking very hard about it this week, every time we have to fill this bugger up.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #43
Skoolie

So, haven't done much since we got back, but it's only been two days. So, I had to do something big. I cut a huge hole. HUGE. Started with the cutoff wheel, but after four discs (!) I moved to the sawzall. Much faster.

Then when I got to the bottom, I found that the two sheets were not attached to the body, or eachother anymore, so I repaired the tiny piece of bracket that remained after I cut the hole, cleaned it all up, and welded it together. But, of course, first I had to wire in a 220V outlet, and make a cord, etc. Nothing is ever that easy, right? But, I got all this done in about two and a half hours, even primed and painted the cuts.
This is what it looks like, temporarily installed, but I pulled it out to paint the cuts.

When it dries, I will figure out how I am going to attach the hatch door. I am thinking I will probably attach them from the inside, since there isn't any holes on the outside, why make some.
These doors are not too shabby, eh? Custom made for something, but I got them for about $50 each at the surplus place. A bit pricey but I liked them the best.
Still have to get some scrap angle and manufacture the frame, which I figure I will put plywood on, then coat heavily with oil based paint, seal with silicone and line with outdoor carpet. Climbing gear has to ride in style, you know? Can't just have it banging around the back of the bus.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #44
Skoolie

Oh yes, the red that was behind the ribs is not rust, it's primer. Glad to not find any major rust yet.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but we drove all the way to Texas and back with only a little XM Radio boombox, I meant to install the stereo as we went, but it didn't happen. I didn't mind the boombox either. Worked pretty well.

And my wife is fully on board with the waste vegetable oil idea. Just have to figure out how to do it, find parts that we can afford, and go for it. It would have paid for itself most likely on this last trip. Whew. The cost of driving it across the country is kind of staggering.

We have a trip to Devil's Tower in Wyoming planned in another two months, plus a trip to Red River Gorge in central Kentucky probably between now and then, I couldn't possibly hope to have one in place by either trip, but you never know...
Old 04-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #45
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Safe-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT3116

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
These doors are not too shabby, eh? Custom made for something, but I got them for about $50 each at the surplus place. A bit pricey but I liked them the best.
I've been looking for affordable nice access doors. Those are sweet.
bunedoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #46
Skoolie

Oh, yes, the lift. Works good, but had to extend it's reach with a piece of wood I had laying around, as it wasn't big enough for a bike.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

lol still better then lifting it in!!

My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/thestuffz
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedvw
So, haven't done much since we got back, but it's only been two days. So, I had to do something big. I cut a huge hole. HUGE.
Nothing like cutting a big hole in the side of the bus to make a guy feel good Really liked your pics of the trip and you need to apply for a patent on that lift extension At least it got the job done!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #49
Skoolie

I put up the upper cabinet today, and it is pretty cool. No light on the inside, or underneath yet, but I am getting there. Got the parts, but only so much time after work to work on it.

The door would ordinarily stay up, I think, but we have only so much room for it to open, so I think it stops short of the point where it will stay open. I can figure something out for it if it bothers us.

I have been visiting the scrap steel yard a few days this week, and haven't lucked into the steel I want to build the under belly storage out of. I may have to buy it new, at only a dollar a foot, it's not too bad though, but not as good as 43 cents a pound.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #50
Skoolie

Can't spend much on the bus this month, so it's down to doing the things I have materials for.
Saturday I was left all by my lonesome so I installed the stereo, ran lots and lots of wiring, installed two decora lightswitches for the overhead LED lights, mounted those permanently and hid the wires. Had to go to a hot tub party so I left a huge mess for myself inside so I wouldn't have to do it Sunday. Saves a lot of time that way.

Sunday, it was too messy inside the bus (see Saturday) so I started with removing the beloved "LOL BUS" words front and rear, to much booing from my neighbors (only one said they would miss it actually), and removing the reflective tape from all over, as well as the handicap logo from the side rear door. I continued with my plan of closing up the warning light holes in the back, using steel I cut from the side where the first storage compartment goes. Man, that sheet metal is hard to cut! I had to buy new burly snips at Lowes. So much for not spending money. It was going okay for a few minutes, but then the welds starting boogering, then I blew a hole in the sheet metal. I thought at first I had maybe the heat too high, so I turned it down a bit, but while it prevented holes, still just nasty porous booger welds. That's when I realized I was out of gas. So I ground the ugly welds flush, and called it a day. Get some gas this week and finish up a few holes.

That's when I realized I lost the camera somewhere. Boy howdy, can I find myself some trouble or what? I know it's around here somewhere... when I find it, I will update with pictures.