Old 01-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I went to "the dark side" and bought a Cat because I can't afford to fix Navistar's crappy design and manufacturing.
Wait till the cat breaks
You can reman a 466 for a fraction
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Wait till the cat breaks
As long as you're not replacing expensive water pump covers.
o1marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Wait till the cat breaks
I've been trying to find out what the general cost is to reman a CAT, but prices are a bit wild. Any guestimate you could give me?

I don't have a CAT, going with a 466e most likely, but trying to figure out overall cost of repairs and getting stuck on the darn cat.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Wait till the cat breaks
The Cat is built better from the get-go.
I was pretty loyal to navistar till my 2003 DT466E had problems. The coolant ate the timing cover from the inside causing thousands in damage. The liners are most likely on their way to death too. I compared the price to fix this on a Cat and its cheaper, fwiw.
Navistar's parts cost as much or MORE than Cat. Check and see.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:19 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I'm not sure a 466e is the choice I'd make for trouble free motoring. Gene
Old 01-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:
Wait till the cat breaks
I disagree a CAT in most cases is a few percentage points higher at most a couple of hundred $$. Gene
Old 01-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
plus, correct me if im wrong, the 3126 is not a wet-sleeve engine? so if and when you wear it out its just done? well or rather its a pull and send to a machine shop rebuild..

I think the 3126 is a great motor.. I also have a feeling that more than 75% of the skoolies out there if the really "blew up" their engine would proibably just scrap the bus rather than spend the 10-15k plus to have a shop rebuild or replace one?

so that the CAT vs 466E discussion is more or less moot ?

obviopusly those with mechanical abilities, connections to mechanics, lots of money, and such are not the ones im thinking of.. but instead, the average skoolie buyer here..

there are obvious engines we have talked of that have blatant issues unless you have the abilities to fix them.. the DT-466E and CAT-3126 are not those engines.. grabted, there were some 466E's that exhibited timing cover issues in the later years, but dont confuse those engines from 2004+ with the many model years of previous 466E's which were damn bulletproof unless you foolishly ran the temp gauge off the dash..

and ultimately the repair of the timing cover on a broken 466E is only 8k+ if you replace both the inner and the outer.. and in 99% of the cases the outer cover is the only one actually damaged.. replascing it and installing the proper coolant and maintaining it will likely outlast most uses the average skoolie puts into the bus..

the inner / outer replacement TSB is obviously the High-usage last a lifetime repair to make.. and if i were in-framing a 2004 466E I'd change both since the ewngine is in pieces anyway..

in EC's case to me it sounds like ill-maintained improper coolant was used by the school in the first place.. which would account for the ruined timing cover and seemingly leaking liner seals too...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
plus, correct me if im wrong, the 3126 is not a wet-sleeve engine? so if and when you wear it out its just done? well or rather its a pull and send to a machine shop rebuild..

I think the 3126 is a great motor.. I also have a feeling that more than 75% of the skoolies out there if the really "blew up" their engine would proibably just scrap the bus rather than spend the 10-15k plus to have a shop rebuild or replace one?

so that the CAT vs 466E discussion is more or less moot ?

obviopusly those with mechanical abilities, connections to mechanics, lots of money, and such are not the ones im thinking of.. but instead, the average skoolie buyer here..

there are obvious engines we have talked of that have blatant issues unless you have the abilities to fix them.. the DT-466E and CAT-3126 are not those engines.. grabted, there were some 466E's that exhibited timing cover issues in the later years, but dont confuse those engines from 2004+ with the many model years of previous 466E's which were damn bulletproof unless you foolishly ran the temp gauge off the dash..

and ultimately the repair of the timing cover on a broken 466E is only 8k+ if you replace both the inner and the outer.. and in 99% of the cases the outer cover is the only one actually damaged.. replascing it and installing the proper coolant and maintaining it will likely outlast most uses the average skoolie puts into the bus..

the inner / outer replacement TSB is obviously the High-usage last a lifetime repair to make.. and if i were in-framing a 2004 466E I'd change both since the ewngine is in pieces anyway..

in EC's case to me it sounds like ill-maintained improper coolant was used by the school in the first place.. which would account for the ruined timing cover and seemingly leaking liner seals too...

-Christopher
Aye, mate. You're correct. The 3126 isn't a wet sleeve.
But good running used takouts are fairly cheap and definitely plentiful.
Speaking of that... If I manage to sell this house and make enough dough I'll likely keep the IC shorty too. I really want to swap that engine! The whole rest of the bus is nice.
IDK. We'll see how the year goes.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Aye, mate. You're correct. The 3126 isn't a wet sleeve.
But good running used takouts are fairly cheap and definitely plentiful.
Speaking of that... If I manage to sell this house and make enough dough I'll likely keep the IC shorty too. I really want to swap that engine! The whole rest of the bus is nice.
IDK. We'll see how the year goes.

with as good a shape as your CAT is in, chances are by the time you wear it out you would wanrt a different bus anyway
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
with as good a shape as your CAT is in, chances are by the time you wear it out you would wanrt a different bus anyway
-Christopher
Definitely. Its got LOTS of miles left in it. Barely broke in!