Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60
Re: And Betsie Bus was born....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
First off, we removed that cove section directly above the entry door. I later put a thin 110vAC fluorescent light on a swtch in the recessed track. We then unscrewed the hinge (door to body) from the door. Unscrewed all the extra stuff. Used a "multitool" (looks like a trim router and heavy duty cut-off wheels ...not the Dremel stuff) to cut the knuckles off the piano hinge still attached to the body of the bus to make a clean edge to attach the house style door hinges. The door knob is an ordinary house style locking entry from Home Depot. David liked it better than the one I wanted to use... plus the one I wanted to use wasn't in stock at the store we frequented at the time. Metal was cut (from remnants of the landscape edging) to shim out the door knob. I think we need one more shim as its a tad tight and hard to latch... or my rubber weatherstripping is really too fat. The weatherstripping is a temp thing until we get working on the entry steps. I need to use a different weather stripping but will wait until the entry is finished in order to know what thickness of weather stripping is needed. The brown metal on the edge of the door opening is from a metal bed frame. The door is really just finished to the point it latches/locks closed. We still need to work on the opening (minor adjustments, weatherstripping & interior trim). That will be done when we do the finish work on the entry steps. Right now my priority is getting the Galley in (got the "door" walls fitted & painted, cabinet carcases are cut out and painted, materials on hand to insulate and add "nailers" to install the sink side of the galley.... yes, I'm taking pictures of the cabinet build and will post them later).

Here's the door knob....
Outside...

Inside...
Nice.. thank you.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #22

Year: 1982

Been lurking here now and then and finally created an account just to respond to the Wisconsin DMV registration as a Motor Home issue. I initially went to the DMV counter this last spring and asked a few questions about it, but the lady was not able to tell me anything specific other than she said she was sure that I would need to bring the vehicle in and have it inspected right there in their parking lot by a State Patrol Officer in order to get the registration changed. Not having any other information for me than that, she gave me an email address to send my question to, and I too, received the same email listed earlier: sleeping/ dining and 4 of the 6 items...

So, I spent the summer getting all my bases covered and figured I was ready enough, not able to do much more with winter breathing down my neck. So, I called there today to make an appointment, and the lady I spoke to this time said they do not inspect anything, and if I just showed up at their counter with a short write-up/statement and photos showing each accomplished requirement in accordance to their email, they would simply do the switcharoo right there. So, my next step is to do just that. I'll know more when I try !

My current "commercial" plates end Dec 31st, so I have until the end of the month. I do not have a School bus.... I dont have room for that. So, I built what I know and love, a Step Van. Anyone interested to see my progress can see it here:
http://www.data-cut.com/grumliner.htm

Thanks
grummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Grumliner,cool rig
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

thanks for the story n pics
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1979
Engine: 8 cyl gas
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by grummy
I do not have a School bus.... I dont have room for that. So, I built what I know and love, a Step Van. Anyone interested to see my progress can see it here:
http://www.data-cut.com/grumliner.htm

Thanks
I like your bed and your bath. You do nice woodwork. I also enjoy seeing people's plumbing as that's something I'm gonna have to learn.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41

Thanks for the great wrtite up on the door. However, I don't have a hinge that can be "unscrewed", my doors hang from a bearing each. there is a bolt that captures the bearing on the door shaft, the bearing itself is captured in a weldment and appears to come only out from the top. it almost looks like the whole door frame needs to come out of the bus to be able to lift the top plate up....

The first big rain came through... and ... Betsie is incontinent in (at least) 2 places.
First place is where the sideboard under the windows meets the "chair rail" near the bottom, water dripping out from the seam at a fast pace, hoping it is a window seam, second place is the flat area right center above the front window, big puddle and lotsa drips coming from that small ceiling area.

gotta wait till it is dry so I can have a looksee.

on a different note... anybody using UPS batteries instead of Deep Cycle batteries?? I may have an opportunity to buy AGM 6 volt batteries, they are "high end" commercial back-up batteries, according to the seller with cosmetic blemishes (whatever THAT means). The price is attractive at 100 bucks a pop, allegedly never used. (note to self, check mfg dates)

I called the MFG of the batteries and asked what is the difference and the MFG (C&D technologies) said that the UPS batteries were not designed for constant discharge and charge cycles, just for occasional discharge cycles. The batteries are UPS6-620MR, 200Ah, being AGM that makes it attractive

as always your insight is greatly appreciate
rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 41

Yes, that was the opinion of the mfg also, just not designed for constant charge (deep) discharge cycles. Oh well, for $10 more I can buy the EGC2's at Sams Club, but that also means i have to make a battery housing under the bus....

on a happier note, I found a Magic Chef stove/oven combo for $30, just could not pass that up

for the roof leaks I bought a can of Geobond fibered roof repair, we'll see how that works, it''s supposed to reach 50s again here by the weekend.
rv8flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #28

Year: 1982

I really am sorry that this hijacks the thread somewhat, but perhaps my DMV experience will help you also register your bus at the DMV in Wisconsin.

I had been told that the vehicle would need to be inspected back in spring. So, now with every modification made according to the list posted earlier in this discussion, I made a phone call to the 1-800 DMV number to inquire as to how I was to get an appointment for an inspection. The lady on the other end was confused.... She said they did not do any inspections, nor did she think I needed one. She told me that if I were to come to her counter with a written declaration and photos, she would just issue new plates and title right there without any inspection.

So, I went to my local DMV this morning with the Email I received with the Wisconsin conversion requirements, a written, single page "declaration" of what I did to the vehicle and photos of each of those specific areas. My declaration simply went line by line with each requirement numbered 1-7, and then below each number, what I had done to legally conform.

My terminology always reflected the legal status of the improvements the way they would like to hear them.... Like for the furnace, I wrote to the effect: "A permanently mounted, DOT approved, fully sealed, external combustion diesel furnace"..... Grey tank: "An approved frame mounted ABS tank with fittings and cap", Fresh water tank: " An FDA approved polyethylene frame mounted potable water tank", Etc. Use the same BS they put in the sales literature ! My photos were numbered to match the items on the list.

When they came to "cooking"... I only have a fixed microwave. I have read a few times that some states do not regard the installation of a microwave as "permanent cooking" facilities.... It did however sound like it would qualify while I listened in on the discussion between agents behind the counter, but I also hit every other requirement target and the vehicle looks presentable (I borught an exterior picture as well). It did take 3 DMV agents to get it done, along with a phone call to their main headquarters, but all in all, it went very well, and I got new tags and title reflecting motor home status. I hope this means no more "commercial" insurance rates too ! (I will call them tomorrow).

So, bring them a very clear picture of what they are asking for in documentation and photos without going overboard. My declaration was computer generated, hand signed and dated. They kept the photos of each area of conversion requirement, though note.... Regards the details of my water system ? They only kept the photo of the sink,fridge, microwave kitchenette unit, not the tanks. So, I guess it just had to LOOK like it all worked. LOL !

Good luck with your conversion and again, sorry to hijack this thread !!
grummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #29
Bus Geek

So glad I live in TN......where shoes are optional
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
So glad I live in TN......where shoes are optional
Yea! and tags cost $24.00........ cars, trucks, buses, motor homes etc etc etc...
Oh and motorcycles are $12.00
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

GE, You're KILLIN me
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #32

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

They charged me $10 for the moving permit. I should have just registered it there.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote