Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Skoolie

And so the "Redneck Express" is born......

As of yesterday, I started gutting the bus. Removed almost all of the seats from inside. Dismantled most of the ones I have removed. Started looking at the floor and how to set up the walls. Only have four seats left inside, for a passenger or two, but I think they will come on out and then rip up the rubber floor in spots to check for rotten wood and moldy surfaces. Current plans are to keep the conversion simple for later renovations when I figure out what I really want. Was looking at raising the roof a bit, but still undecided about that. Probably will make that decision after using the bus for a year. Once the seats are gone, then I will be painting the outside to satisfy the dmv for the driving test for a class B license. Hopefully have the painting done by Sunday evening, weather permitting.

eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Just out of curiousity....why are you getting your CDL? Unless you're going to use it commercially or your state requires an air brake endorsement, I don't see any reason to spend that money. I'm not saying that the manuals and such shouldn't be required reading...I just know the tests aren't particularly cheap here in Minnesota.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Skoolie

Re: And so the "Redneck Express" is born......

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman
As of yesterday, I started gutting the bus. Removed almost all of the seats from inside. Dismantled most of the ones I have removed. Started looking at the floor and how to set up the walls. Only have four seats left inside, for a passenger or two, but I think they will come on out and then rip up the rubber floor in spots to check for rotten wood and moldy surfaces. Current plans are to keep the conversion simple for later renovations when I figure out what I really want. Was looking at raising the roof a bit, but still undecided about that. Probably will make that decision after using the bus for a year. Once the seats are gone, then I will be painting the outside to satisfy the dmv for the driving test for a class B license. Hopefully have the painting done by Sunday evening, weather permitting.

I am from your area I went to the currency exchange in Ottawa Il. and registered mine as a RV so the title and tag came back as a RV....

I am in the middle of the conversion to an RV so if I ever get stopped I am good to go, been to cold and wet here the past 2 days to work on mine
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Just out of curiousity....why are you getting your CDL? Unless you're going to use it commercially or your state requires an air brake endorsement, I don't see any reason to spend that money. I'm not saying that the manuals and such shouldn't be required reading...I just know the tests aren't particularly cheap here in Minnesota.
Its a class b-non cdl license, required by Illinois for vehicles over 26,000 pounds gvwr and pulling a trailer less than 10,000 pounds.. However, no airbrake endorsement is required since it is for private use only. And the driver's test is to make sure you wont run over curbs or other vehicles once you start driving it.

Hoser, I feel your pain, its been miserable here too. Cold and rainy. Should be able to paint it this weekend, barring wet weather. Seems like all the paint I want to use has a 3-8 hour dry time. I dont think that will work this weekend. I need to find some faster drying paint that is cheap. Should be able to get the rest of the seats out and lay out the floor plan to see how it will work. A friend of mine's little boy was holding the wrench on the top side as I took of the nuts from down below. Did a pretty good job, considering he is only 6.

How far along are you on your conversion?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:05 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Are you registering the bus at the full GVWR on the manufacturer's placard? A buddy of mine registered his 59 pass. 370-powered Wayne with "y-plates" (gvwr plates) as 15,000 lbs....and that gave him LOTS of room for the additional weight of passengers, etc. Mine is a diesel and slightly longer, but I still don't forsee having to register it as 26,000 lbs, let alone more than that.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Are you registering the bus at the full GVWR on the manufacturer's placard? A buddy of mine registered his 59 pass. 370-powered Wayne with "y-plates" (gvwr plates) as 15,000 lbs....and that gave him LOTS of room for the additional weight of passengers, etc. Mine is a diesel and slightly longer, but I still don't forsee having to register it as 26,000 lbs, let alone more than that.
I registered mine for 10,500 GVW + dunno how high it goes up but it covers any RV over 10,500 lbs they only have two classes below 10500 and over
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Yes, according to the dmv, if it is what is on the title, thats what you have to register it as. So, I got stuck with the 30k gvwr.

Yesterday got the top and the right side primed, will be working on removing stickers and painting the front and the left side today.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #8
Bus Geek

We have a rather lax DMV office up here. I just have to sign an affidavit saying that it's converted and what it weighs, no inspection required.....

Of course I will run across the scales to get an idea what it weighs. It's not that I'm worried I'll ever be nailed for being over weight as they don't require RV's to weigh in, but I'm an honest citizen. Each window is 3000 lbs so there is some leeway, but each jump in weight class comes at a price.

Listening to all these horror stories makes me happy I live where I do

BTW....my class D is fine for the bus since it's an RV, even with air brakes. My only limit is that I can't tow a trailer over 10,000 lbs with it.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
The GVWR on my '85 60 passenger (40 adult) Thomas is listed as 24,500# on the plate by the driver's seat, but on the application for the title conversion, I put 17,000#, and that's what came back on the title.

I just guessed on the weight!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 AM   #10
Skoolie

As of tonight:
1. All of the seats have been removed
2. There are 4 seats (that have not been dismantled) for later dual dinettes
3. The plywood and rubber floor has been removed all the way to the front wheels.
4. Most of the stickers have all been removed

Current plan is to remove the rest of the floor up to the firewall, replace and add insulation to the entire floor and engine cover, then cover with new plywood on floor after the window openings are covered, then paint the black dash sheetmetal with a lighter color.

Pictures posted in the Albums section.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
Skoolie

All of the old nasty flooring has been removed and replaced with 15# tar paper, 1" pink foam board, and 3/4" t&g.
All of the stickers are now gone.
New rv style windows are now in.
The bus is now mostly one color, which is NOT yellow.

Will be working on the interior outside walls starting this evening.

Pictures posted in the Albums section.[/quote]

Old 09-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
Skoolie

Took the bus out to Springfield, OH for a car show and swap meet. Had a blast. Pulling a trailer with my scout on it, netted me almost 11 mpg. It ran perfect all the way out there and all the way back. However, after dropping my scout off at the house still on the trailer, I went to pull out on the main road and it seemed that the bus ran out of fuel. After checking the tank to see if it was out, which it wasnt, the local law enforcement came and had it towed off of the main road and put it in the towing yard. Now I cant get to it until Monday to figure out what happened. Any ideas?? I am fairly mechanically minded, just dont know much about a deisel, yet. It currently cranks over but doesnt start. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
kee

Wow, just realized that you're from Troy, IL... I'm a Jeep guy from Collinsville that's researching this whole crazy school bus idea to build a tow/camping/party rig to tow the Jeep with... If you need a hand with something PM me. I'm taking some welding classes on Monday and Wednesday's so I'm no help on those nights.

Jeremy
http://www.jeepinrocks.com/
Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
Skoolie

No problem Jeremy, give me a shout sometime.

Babylon42, its been suggested that it may be the fuel shut off solenoid that could be the problem. Will be finding out tomorrow morning.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
Skoolie

Ok, I know what it is that let me stranded Sunday morning. And boy do I feel like a dumbass. It was low on fuel. I took too many turns, too close together coupled with the low fuel, created air gaps in the fuel lines and caused it to die. Iknow now that i have to fill up about every 300 miles, just to be sure.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:17 PM   #16

Re: And so the "Redneck Express" is born......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman

I am from your area I went to the currency exchange in Ottawa Il. and registered mine as a RV so the title and tag came back as a RV....

I am in the middle of the conversion to an RV so if I ever get stopped I am good to go, been to cold and wet here the past 2 days to work on mine
I'm also from Illinois and just recently bought a 1996 Ford Elf Carryall. It's like a hospital bus.

So what your saying is, I can just go to the local Currency Exchange to do the title transfer and have it titled as an RV and I won't have to go through the whole "4 out of 6 things must be...." deal?????

That would be awesome.
Hackman4CyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #17
Skoolie

I have been back to working on the bus. Welded the generator cage up and have it insulated with 3/4" plywood on the outside and 1" foam board in-between the 1" bars.

Ran the main power feed down into the genny compartment with 6 ga wire and a 50 amp plug. The genny produces 34 amps, a bit much for a 30 amp plug, probably would have been ok, but went ahead and upped the plug. From what I have been reading some of the campgrounds have a 50 amp service available. Since there are 4 wires in the power cable, black, red, white, and a bare wire, am I correct in the assumption that the black and red wire will provide the "hot" leads, with the white wire providing the "neutral" and the bare for the ground? Currently the genny is wired to produce 34 amps @ 220VAC. I have the black and the red going to two separate breakers in a box, the white going to the "neutral" bar in the box as well. the ground wire is un-attached. This ground wire is to be attached at the genny to the frame of the bus, and to the other grounds in the electrical system, but NOT to be tied in with the "neutral" wire because of the shocking experience?

Not all of the wiring on the AC side is complete. I have 1 or 2 more circuits to run. Including one at the back right side of the bus and one in the genny compartment.

The air conditioner is now installed and is operational. What an easy job that was!! Cut a 14” hole in the roof. Started with a jig saw, quickly went to hand shears, much quieter and less mess. Run the 12-2 wire in plastic conduit, after drilling several holes to fish the wiring through. Re-enforce the ceiling and roof at the hole with 1 5/8” board on two sides and a couple of short ones for the curved end. Sealed the top plate to the bus roof, set the unit on top of the plate, hung the bottom plate in the ceiling and installed the 4 mounting bolts with nuts to keep it from flying off. Tightened it all down and cut off the 4 bolts cause they were way too long. Hooked power up to it and viola!! It was blowing air up to the windshield. A little mastic tape and we have a sealed return chamber.

Best little heat source that a girlfriend could buy. Went to Richmond, IN back in November and bought some RV parts. Arrived on Saturday night, slept at the rest area, got up Sunday morning and it was 46 degrees in the bus. She decided that if she was going to be going with me on these “adventures” that heat was a necessity. A week later she came over and brought this little baby with her. It’s a heating fool. 26 degrees outside and it keeps it at 65 no problem…….will go to 75 if needed. Zero vent.....I was a bit concerned with this to start with. However after monitoring the CO levels with a Bacharac CO tester, levels never got over 17 ppm in 4 hours of use.

The kitchen-ette is going in well. Have base frame work set in place and stove and sink cut outs located. Will be looking at a few counter tops over the next week or two. Don’t really know what will be going under the counter so I am not in too big of a hurry to close it in. I do know that the original rear bus heater will be going in just behind the stove and under the counter. We will be camping from March through November so a little extra heat going down the road is a good thing.

Hope to have the wiring finished up today and the genny set in place and bolted down.

Comments/suggestions?
Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #18
Bus Geek

You can tie the ground wire into the ground bus bar in your breaker box. Most boxes come with an insulator that will keep the ground and neutral from tying together.

Those little heaters are slick. They're really popular up here with icefisherman because they're compact and light. I am yet to move an icehouse I thought was too light. What's the AC power for it do? Does that model have a blower on it?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Skoolie

My breaker boxes dont have the seperate ground and neutral bars in them. So I guess I will be tying the grounds together with a large wire nut or a clamp of some type.

Yes, that heater is the neatest thing since sliced bread, well, almost. It does have a fan/blower kit installed. When we looked at the box, it didnt say anything about the fan/blower kit being installed. Just said it was an option. It keeps my girlfriend happy.

Well, my plans didnt go the way I wanted them to. No genny work, but had to move one of the plugs and the heater towards the front so I can get the refer to sit in place. It was a bit taller than what I thought it was. Propane/AC refer is working great. Just have to figure out the size of vent holes to put through the side. Did a general cleaning to get rid of some of the construction debris that I have been stepping over for the last week or so.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:38 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 366 propane
Rated Cap: 56
looking good. Almost done in time for camping season .

-Richard
captainkf is offline   Reply With Quote