Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Send a message via AIM to baadpuppy Send a message via MSN to baadpuppy Send a message via Yahoo to baadpuppy
Re: baadpuppy's bus... unleashed

Ceiling panels part 2.

I spent some time after getting home yesterday and today to work on getting the rear most two panels down. The trick for not stripping the heads of the torx screws seems to be working well. As long as I don't get in a hurry and forget to follow the procedure that is.

Holding the impact driver over my head while working is a pain in the arm. The screw sticks to the bit each time, so I have to lower, remove screw, toss screw in box, then raise and repeat. Wow, it's just like exercise.

Picture of the ceiling where the two panels have been removed:

Picture of the panels hanging out on the floor:

I plan to get at least one more panel down each evening this week.

jim
baadpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #92
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: flatnosed
Chassis: amtran/bluebird/thomas
Engine: diesel

Are you going to put them back up ?

or what will you use to replace the panels ?

any thoughts on potential loss of structural rigidity?

I would like to remove,spray foam insulation and put up laun - but i am a bit concerned with loss of strength...
Old 03-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #93
Bus Nut

Send a message via AIM to baadpuppy Send a message via MSN to baadpuppy Send a message via Yahoo to baadpuppy

If you aren't raising the roof, I wouldn't worry about the structural integrity as long as the outside steel panels remain in place. It'll still be tons stronger than a normal RV.

I'm actually planning to build an entire new roof at this point, similar to what trx did with his conversion (although that site seems to be broken now, which is a great loss). I'm going to turn it into a flat-ish roof. To that end, I'm working on deconstructing the existing roof. While trx used a hoist to remove his roof in 2 pieces before building the new one, I plan to just take each panel off one at a time until I'm down to the point that I want, then build new from that point back out/up.

The new roof structure I'm designing should be more than adequate as a replacement for an RV. I don't think it will be up to school bus rollover standards, but it'll still be quite good.

jim
Old 03-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #94
Bus Nut

Last night after posting, I got motivated to go out in near darkness and remove one more panel.

Tonight, I got 3 panels down in 30 minutes. My arms are really unhappy about the work. I now have 6 panels down, and about 10 or so left to do.

Still much to do.

jim
Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #95
Bus Nut

Tonight I went crazy with the impact driver and got the last of the screws out, except the few stripped ones. I ended up using the angle grinder on a few of them, along with pliers, hammer, screwdriver, and a fair amount of cussing.

End result: the ceiling is now down completely.

View of the stack of panels:

Looking at it all from back to front:

Looking front to back:

And the one place with no insulation, which is where the interior vent is located:

Before removing that insulation, I want full protective gear, including a respirator. The insulation will be bagged and hauled away. It's a shame kinda, as it appears to be in really good shape all things considered.

jim
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Forgot to mention that removing these panels removed the vehicle information tags that were riveted to the panel above the driver.

I will be removing those metal plaques from the panel and saving them to re-install in the finished location (above the driver) later.

jim
Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #97
Bus Nut

Ah, another lack of progress...

Towards the end of February, I did some work in the drop ceiling space at work over the course of 3 days, and on the 3rd day came down with something that I thought was a cold or flu. I was sick for 6 days total, with fever, cough, congestion, aches, etc. After returning to work, I had a lingering cough that was annoying, but didn't seem to cause much problem.

The week before my vacation, I started having difficulty breathing and the coughing got a bit worse. This was during the time I was taking down the interior panels, so I just chalked it up to irritation from that.

During the week of my vacation, it got worse. I took cough suppression medicine the whole week, and munched on halls, and it kept me going.

Monday of this week, I finally gave in and went to the doctor. He believes I got into something in the ceiling at work (not surprising really), and that that is what triggered my bronchitis. So this week, I've been on some serious antibiotics and other drugs to help get my breathing back to normal. So far, things seem to be getting better.

I want to get as cleared up as possible before I attack the insulation, and I'll definitely be using lots of protection.

I poked my head in the bus the other night, and saw many of the pieces of insulation had already fallen on their own. I suspect if I just keep out for a while, it'll all eventually fall... however, that doesn't fit my schedule.

I must have this bus habitable by the end of the calendar year. I intend to be living within it by then. The plan we've come up with is aggressive and grand, and will take a lot of time and money to complete. I need to stay focused on this project. I definitely need to make sure I don't impede my progress by neglecting my health.

Anyway, there'll be more progress reported as soon as I have any to report. Or something like that.

jim
Old 03-31-2011, 11:47 AM   #98
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Jim,

Good grief! I thought a kidney stone set me back a bit. The investment in proper equipment pays off in spades in time and effort. I guess you now have figured that one out. Sorry to hear about the bronchitis. That's nasty stuff. Too bad we're not closer because I sure could use the sheet metal you're cutting down. My build is not as ambitious.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #99
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Glad to hear you figured it out and are healing up now.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote